• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
So a four-hour layover gives you some time to chew over a great week. I’m sure everybody’s lists will be very different, but here goes with a few quick memories.

Highlights
- Waking up to new snow pretty much every morning (yahoooo!)
- “Darryl’s Bowl”, off Challenger
- Fun steep tree runs on the other side of Challenger (around Little Gullies area)
- The many stashes in the Thunder Wolf glades – seek (not too hard) and you will find
- A sweet, deep powdery run on the far side of the trees on Headwaters
- Supersoft wind-buff off Powder Seeker
- Powder good enough on Dakota to delay lunch until 3pm
- One screaming blue groomer in the sunshine on Friday morning
- @Pumba persuading the old guys to drag themselves out for après-ski beers at Jacks
- Getting on RamCharger at 3.59, just after Last Chair Mike had loaded

Less stellar moments, although it was all good, really
- The Explorer double debacle. Nothing like convincing a whole bunch of friends that riding slow-speed chairs leading to groomed green runs is the best way to capitalize on a powder morning
- Letting a mere one-hour wait deter us from going to the top (but the skiing was still too good to be turned down…)
- Leaving

As always, the company was great. I may not be the most prolific poster, but the Gathering and the PugSki community have been such an awesome find for me – just a great bunch of people to ski, hang out, laugh and enjoy life with. See you next time!

IMG_4781.JPG
IMG_4903.JPG IMG_4918.jpg IMG_0445.jpg IMG_4716.jpg IMG_4723.jpg IMG_4841.JPG IMG_4890.JPG IMG_4909.JPG IMG_4916.jpg
IMG_4978.jpg IMG_4991.JPG IMG_4997.jpg IMG_4945.JPG IMG_4972.JPG IMG_4975.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4890.JPG
    IMG_4890.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4726.jpg
    IMG_4726.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4743.JPG
    IMG_4743.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4780.JPG
    IMG_4780.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4781.JPG
    IMG_4781.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4876.JPG
    IMG_4876.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4903.JPG
    IMG_4903.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4918.jpg
    IMG_4918.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4960.JPG
    IMG_4960.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4976.jpg
    IMG_4976.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So a four-hour layover gives you some time to chew over a great week. I’m sure everybody’s lists will be very different, but here goes with a few quick memories.

Those pics of Mike are really good and really fun.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I actually still haven't made it home yet, 14 hours after leaving our condo this morning. Gotta love United. But I am in Portland, I do have my bags, and I am making up for twelve hours without food or beer.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I actually still haven't made it home yet, 14 hours after leaving our condo this morning. Gotta love United. But I am in Portland, I do have my bags, and I am making up for twelve hours without food or beer.
I just got in the door myself after leaving BS at 9:00. 13 hours for me. Deicing issues getting out of Bozeman, and my connection in Dallas was delayed getting there from Denver.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks to Tricia and Phil for organizing a great week, and to Gary for the lodging deal. I meet some great people that made it an even better week. I wish I had been able to find some others to ski with. Hopefully next year

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Highlights
- Waking up to new snow pretty much every morning (yahoooo!)
- “Darryl’s Bowl”, off Challenger
- Fun steep tree runs on the other side of Challenger (around Little Gullies area)
- The many stashes in the Thunder Wolf glades – seek (not too hard) and you will find
- A sweet, deep powdery run on the far side of the trees on Headwaters
- Supersoft wind-buff off Powder Seeker
- Powder good enough on Dakota to delay lunch until 3pm
- One screaming blue groomer in the sunshine on Friday morning
- @Pumba persuading the old guys to drag themselves out for après-ski beers at Jacks
- Getting on RamCharger at 3.59, just after Last Chair Mike had loaded

Less stellar moments, although it was all good, really
- The Explorer double debacle. Nothing like convincing a whole bunch of friends that riding slow-speed chairs leading to groomed green runs is the best way to capitalize on a powder morning
- Letting a mere one-hour wait deter us from going to the top (but the skiing was still too good to be turned down…)
- Leaving

As always, the company was great. I may not be the most prolific poster, but the Gathering and the PugSki community have been such an awesome find for me – just a great bunch of people to ski, hang out, laugh and enjoy life with. See you next time!

View attachment 67099
View attachment 67101 View attachment 67102 View attachment 67103 View attachment 67104 View attachment 67105 View attachment 67110 View attachment 67112 View attachment 67114 View attachment 67115
View attachment 67122 View attachment 67123 View attachment 67124 View attachment 67117 View attachment 67119 View attachment 67120
Wow, great pics. Always great to meet up with Pugskiers

Thanks to Tricia and Phil for organizing a great week, and to Gary for the lodging deal. I meet some great people that made it an even better week. I wish I had been able to find some others to ski with. Hopefully next year
Lets make sure to make some turns together next year.
[inner warren miller voice] We'll be one year older when we do [/inner warren miller voice]

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
33A34BC7-943A-4A8E-9F7C-7591D2F62AFD.jpeg So, with a mini closing ceremony at chez ziggy to extinguishing the Big Sky torch ( literally ) the Big Sky gathering is officially in the books.

Amazing snow, terrain and new friends - thank you all for an awesome week !!!!
Perhaps now you can see why Erica and I picked up the Catskill roots of almost 30 years to call BS home. Should and when any of you are back in the neighborhood please look us up.

Till we meet again, safe travels, and great turns

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 67131 So, with a mini closing ceremony at chez ziggy to extinguishing the Big Sky torch ( literally ) the Big Sky gathering is officially in the books.

Amazing snow, terrain and new friends - thank you all for an awesome week !!!!
Perhaps now you can see why Erica and I picked up the Catskill roots of almost 30 years to call BS home. Should and when any of you are back in the neighborhood please look us up.

Till we meet again, safe travels, and great turns
Thank you Soo much for being guides for Scott and I! Puking snow back here in Summit County and I'm laid up with sprained knee☹️.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I only took a couple of Big Couloir photos.

The view from the mid-way regrouping spot.
P1070307.JPG

@Unpiste rejoining me there. Didn't want to turn all the way around, so I didn't *quite* get the camera level
P1070305.JPG

Unpiste at the bottom
P1070310.JPG

It would have been nice to ski the BIg in good visibility (and I probably would have skied it a lot better if I could see the snow beneath me). On the other hand, maybe it was a good thing I couldn't tell how steep it was. And if the visibility had been good, we might not have been able to get a slot on the sign up sheet.

It wasn't completely clear to me where I was supposed to stop. I first stopped under the first spot under rocks. But then I remembered the patroler saying the first skier would pop back into view and decided I needed to go a bit further. There was a patch of snow high on the shoulder that looked like it had been waded through but not really skied (Unpiste's second "contemplating" pic), so I decided that must be it.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

AlanR

Still living in Needham
Skier
I only took a couple of Big Couloir photos.

It would have been nice to ski the BIg in good visibility (and I probably would have skied it a lot better if I could see the snow beneath me). On the other hand, maybe it was a good thing I couldn't tell how steep it was. And if the visibility had been good, we might not have been able to get a slot on the sign up sheet.

So did it feel steep, Mike? How did it compare to some of the other stuff we did?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A few action shots ahead of posting up a trip report sometime this week... I don't take enough action shots, I don't think. I'll have to work on that... (some of these @Jim Kenney took when I loaned him my camera - probably the better ones :cool:)

Not much action I guess, but testing the snow depth with a PugSkier background (@mdf, @SkiDB, and @Tony S)
Big Sky Gathering 030218 021 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@bigguyski carving up some soft stuff
Big Sky Gathering 030218 028 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Weegie McAdams, Meimei, and @Flying Dutchess coming down Horseshoe
Big Sky Gathering 030218 035 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@PisteOff and @ChunderBlunder coming out of the bumps
Big Sky Gathering 030218 064 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Gary Stolt cruising
Big Sky Gathering 030218 066 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@theNitza in the pow
Big Sky Gathering 030218 083 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Pumba charging
Big Sky Gathering 030218 119 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Pumba, still charging
Big Sky Gathering 030218 148 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@theNitza catching some air off a bump
Big Sky Gathering 030218 159 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Jim Kenney heading down as @Pumba watches
Big Sky Gathering 030218 168 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Pumba in some deep stuff
Big Sky Gathering 030218 182 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Flying Dutchess exiting the liftline glade
Big Sky Gathering 030218 235 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Dean finding some spray in the liftline
Big Sky Gathering 030218 238 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@fosphenytoin in Lizette glade
Big Sky Gathering 030218 239 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Georgeann in Lizette too
Big Sky Gathering 030218 249 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@mdf during some groomer cruising in the sun
Big Sky Gathering 030218 280 DC ACR Conv.jpg

@Needham following
Big Sky Gathering 030218 281 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A few action shots ahead of posting up a trip report sometime this week... I don't take enough action shots, I don't think. I'll have to work on that... (some of these @Jim Kenney took when I loaned him my camera - probably the better ones :cool:)

Not much action I guess, but testing the snow depth with a PugSkier background (@mdf, @SkiDB, and @Tony S)
View attachment 67149

@bigguyski carving up some soft stuff
View attachment 67150

@Weegie McAdams, Meimei, and @Flying Dutchess coming down Horseshoe
View attachment 67151

@PisteOff and @ChunderBlunder coming out of the bumps
View attachment 67152

@Gary Stolt cruising
View attachment 67153

@theNitza in the pow
View attachment 67154

@Pumba charging
View attachment 67155

@Pumba, still charging
View attachment 67156

@theNitza catching some air off a bump
View attachment 67157

@Jim Kenney heading down as @Pumba watches
View attachment 67158

@Pumba in some deep stuff
View attachment 67159

@Flying Dutchess exiting the liftline glade
View attachment 67160

@Dean finding some spray in the liftline
View attachment 67161

@fosphenytoin in Lizette glade
View attachment 67162

Georgeann in Lizette too
View attachment 67163

@mdf during some groomer cruising in the sun
View attachment 67164

@Needham following
View attachment 67165
You got some really good action shots.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I meet some great people that made it an even better week. I wish I had been able to find some others to ski with.

I would have loved to take some runs with you and George. At boot up in the morning, speak up and say, "I'm looking for people to ski with." If you bolt on your own while everyone else is still getting dressed, it doesn't work as well. ogwink

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In Minneapolis. Our flight home is “delayed” until tomorrow morning. Ugh.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Nice going skiing The Big One @mdf and @Unpiste .

My travels home were uneventful, unless you count having to wake up at 3:30AM to catch my shuttle to Bozeman airport. Not sure what I was thinking booking a 6:30AM departure from Bozeman, but whatever... it worked out.

Skis weren't as badly damaged as I thought they would be given the various "tugs" I felt from hitting rocks. Basically one good deep scratch on each ski. Good opportunity to practice my p-tex repair skills. Repairs look good... we'll see how long they hold up.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When we left Big Sky this morning, the temperature was -9ºF.
It took a loooooong time to get PUGSKI2 warmed up
We had a beautiful drive in the early AM through a section of Yellowstone. This is what my view looks like now.
We are half way home on our drive. So far, uneventful and weather is cooperating.

IMG_3106.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online