• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bike Lights for Night Riding

fosphenytoin

Putting on skis
Skier
Need recommendations for bike lights on riding bike trails, roads at night. What is the minimum lumen for good visibility? I prefer something USB chargeable. Thanks in advance for your help!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Need recommendations for bike lights on riding bike trails, roads at night. What is the minimum lumen for good visibility? I prefer something USB chargeable. Thanks in advance for your help!
This is a subject of much discussion among mtbers here in the land of short autumn days. Fortunately the tech and the quality/price ratio have improved dramatically in the last decade. Mtbr often has an extensive well done test each year. Worth googling that.

I have a version of this Bontrager self contained light that I use on my helmet - it can be bar mounted too. I've been very happy with it and it's widely available. DiNotte is a small NH outfit that makes very high quality lights in the US. I have one that's a few years old. It has been worth the money.

Many many of my riding friends and acquaintances have or have had the inexpensive Chinese nights sold ubiquitously on Amazon under different brands including "Magic Shine." Results have been mixed at best. Longevity is not their strength. I'd avoid them.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am really contemplating getting back into night riding this fall. I was hesitant for a while because unlike when I was riding back in Pa, I am no longer at the top of the food chain out here.

A lot has changed since my old 15W Nite Rider that I used in the mid 90's. But talking to our local night riding crew, Nite Rider still seems to be one of the standards that others are compared to. I think this falls under the category of good tools, you can buy inexpensive ones first to try to save money but evenually you will buy the better ones, so you might as well save time and money and buy the better one initially.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Outbound Light trail EVO. I was so impressed with @firebanex lighting setup that I asked him and this is what he uses. Yes, the food chain in PA, is definitely different than the Sierras :D

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I will expand on @Tony S comment about longevity.

One other big concern about non-name-brand lights is that their batteries do not live up to the advertised run time, especially at steady (non-blinking) illumination.

So, there are approximately three and a half tiers of lights.

Tier 1: Marker lights - 100 lumens or less. Think Bontrager ION Flare, Lezyne Femto, These are fine to have as an occasional light for dipping into riding at dark, like an hour after sunset maybe. These are also *excellent* secondary/backup lights.

Pros:
You will be seen in traffic.
You will not get cursed by other (oncoming) trail users.
Light weight.
Cheap.
Quick recharge.

Cons:
Limited run time especially in cold. At full charge, none of them really last a full 2 hours in steady high power mode.
You won't see far enough ahead relying on just their illumination.
Mechanical switches are usually a weight/budget compromise and tend to fail long term.

Tier 2: Reasonable MUP/road use lights 400-800 lumens. These are pricier but are better than Tier 1 -marker for regular dipping into riding at dark. Especially if you combine them with Tier 1 lights as backup. Think Cygolite Metro, Cateye AMPP 400-800.

Pros:
You will see dead trees across the trail.
You will see dark-clad trail users.
You will see scooters and mopeds abandoned across the trail.
You *might* spot potholes but not on high speed downhills
You *might* spot fishing lines across the Mt. Vernon trail or under the Kennedy center walkway

Cons:
Not infinite run time - 2 hours is still pushing it.
More expensive than Tier 1 and brand name becomes important.
Beam pattern (optics) and LED choice govern the usability. You have to test to see what you really like.
You will *NOT* be able to ride MTB level terrain with just this.
You WILL be cursed by oncoming trail users.

Tier 2.5: Light trail lights 1100-1400 lumens with integrated batteries. The Bontrager ION pro @Tony S shows is in this category. These have stronger LEDs and stronger electronics. Optics and batteries are still limited by the physical size of the case.

Pros:
Same as Tier 2, better at potholes.
Can ride light MTB terrain with them

Cons:
Absolutely WILL get cursed by oncoming trail users. And a lot of oncoming car drivers.
You still don't get long run time, especially in cold weather.

Tier 3: MTB trail capable lights with separate light unit and battery. The DiNotte @Tony S links to all fall into this category. There are no lights in this category that are under 1200 lumens - there simply is no point to designing the level of optics and power electronics to manage that.

Pros:
Runtime. If you regularly ride 2+ hours past dark, you need this or a generator.
You will get the best optics and the best LEDs
Actually trail worthy at reasonable speeds.

Cons:
Price. Pre-Covid you could buy a totally rideable hybrid for these prices.
Everyone will curse you so hard that you won't even bother to turn them on on MUPs or reasonably lit roads.
Mounting arrangement on the bike becomes a very much non-trivial issue. You might need to dedicate a frame bag or a bottle cage to the battery.

Anyway, hope that helps put all of it into context. Practically speaking - for road and most MUPs in the DC area a combination of a Tier1 Marker light backup and a Tier 2 workhorse will get you through most riding scenarios at a reasonable price. Dark highly forested trails like the CCT in Virginia require at least a Tier 2, and absolutely consider a second light as backup.

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Outbound Light trail EVO. I was so impressed with @firebanex lighting setup that I asked him and this is what he uses. Yes, the food chain in PA, is definitely different than the Sierras :D
FYI: Sierra is already plural. You don't add an "s". It literally means "saw" (the tool). Because the individual peaks look like the teeth of a saw. But consequently, it refers to an entire collection of peaks. It is used the way we use "range" in English to reference a collection of peaks.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I will expand on @Tony S comment about longevity.

One other big concern about non-name-brand lights is that their batteries do not live up to the advertised run time, especially at steady (non-blinking) illumination.

So, there are approximately three and a half tiers of lights.

Tier 1: Marker lights - 100 lumens or less. Think Bontrager ION Flare, Lezyne Femto, These are fine to have as an occasional light for dipping into riding at dark, like an hour after sunset maybe. These are also *excellent* secondary/backup lights.

Pros:
You will not get cursed by other (oncoming) trail users.
Light weight.
Cheap.
Quick recharge.

Cons:
Limited run time especially in cold. At full charge, none of them really last a full 2 hours in steady high power mode.
You won't see far enough ahead relying on just their illumination.
Mechanical switches are usually a weight/budget compromise and tend to fail long term.

Tier 2: Reasonable MUP/road use lights 400-800 lumens. These are pricier but are better than Tier 1 -marker for regular dipping into riding at dark. Especially if you combine them with Tier 1 lights as backup. Think Cygolite Metro, Cateye AMPP 400-800.

Pros:
You will see dead trees across the trail.
You will see dark-clad trail users.
You will see scooters and mopeds abandoned across the trail.
You *might* spot potholes but not on high speed downhills
You *might* spot fishing lines across the Mt. Vernon trail or under the Kennedy center walkway

Cons:
Not infinite run time - 2 hours is still pushing it.
More expensive than Tier 1 and brand name becomes important.
Beam pattern (optics) and LED choice govern the usability. You have to test to see what you really like.
You will *NOT* be able to ride MTB level terrain with just this.
You WILL be cursed by oncoming trail users.

Tier 2.5: Light trail lights 1100-1400 lumens with integrated batteries. The Bontrager ION pro @Tony S shows is in this category. These have stronger LEDs and stronger electronics. Optics and batteries are still limited by the physical size of the case.

Pros:
Same as Tier 2, better at potholes.
Can ride light MTB terrain with them

Cons:
Absolutely WILL get cursed by oncoming trail users. And a lot of oncoming car drivers.
You still don't get long run time, especially in cold weather.

Tier 3: MTB trail capable lights with separate light unit and battery.

Pros:
Runtime. If you regularly ride 2+ hours past dark, you need this or a generator.
You will get the best optics and the best LEDs
Actually trail worthy at reasonable speeds.

Cons:
Price.
Everyone will curse you so hard that you won't even bother to turn them on on MUPs or reasonably lit roads.
Mounting arrangement on the bike becomes a very much non-trivial issue. You might need to dedicate a frame bag or a bottle cage to the battery.
I've been very happy with my Lezyne STRIP lights which would fall into the Tier 2 category. Better than cheap lights. Cheaper than expensive lights.

I don't ride at night, but I get a lot more than 2 hours (5-6) but not on the highest setting. USB rechargeable.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
FYI: Sierra is already plural. You don't add an "s". It literally means "saw" (the tool)
I stand corrected- I actually knew that- once. Down here in the flatlands (LA) it’s always referred to ( improperly) as Sierras, I.e., “ I’m going up to the Sierras to do some hiking.”

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've been very happy with my Lezyne STRIP lights which would fall into the Tier 2 category. Better than cheap lights. Cheaper than expensive lights.

I have a couple of sets of STRIP lights. The fronts don't really fit any of my bikes except low down on the fork, so I use two at a time. The rears are also nice in traffic and VERY rain resistant :D - but they have an annoying habit of going suddenly dark instead of switching to flash mode when low on charge.

Saturday night I was riding in the deluge, with gravel tires. Running Lezyne STRIP markers and a Spanninga Thor main. Imagine a 3 foot upwards waterfall all lit up sparkly bright, distracting drivers half a mile away with the show.

Last edited:
TS
fosphenytoin

fosphenytoin

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks all for your detailed response. Much appreciated.

For context, I don't do mountain biking, only recreational on bike trails +/- running errands using my bike. I have been avoiding biking at night due to poor visibility. I really enjoy riding my bike and I'd like to spend more time on the saddle in the future.

@cantunamunch - There are so many fish lines on Mt Vernon trails and they are impossible to see at night w/ my cheap bike lights.

The light Tony has, is it possible to see fish lines at night?

Cons:

I can take a curse (or 2), no problem w/ that. My concern: is it safe if my light is so bright that it will blind oncoming trail users / bikers / cars, and they will run / crash onto me?

Have you driven on GW Memorial Pkwy at night? If so, have you seen cyclists riding on Mt Vernon trails, do you know what is the lumen for those lights? I want to have a light bright enough like those.

As for back light, I was told it is for safety reason. How important it is to have a good back light? Reason for asking, my current set is pretty cheap and I wonder if I should spend $$$ on front light only or I should invest on a set.

W/ expensive bike lights, do you worry they may get stolen? It's a hassle to take these accessories w/ you when you are running errands on bike.

I may get the one Tony has. Saw a pre-owned one on FB Marketplace.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
@cantunamunch - There are so many fish lines on Mt Vernon trails and they are impossible to see at night w/ my cheap bike lights.

The Bontrager Ion Pro? Yes -maybe- BUT- you have to have a proper lighting pattern. If the Ion Pro is your primary light, you will want to put it relatively low on the bike, like at the fork steerer or on an accessory mount below the handlebar. After that it helps to have a helmet light as a secondary, so you can see fish lines at helmet height.

I know. It's annoying. And the problem is not going away anytime soon.

I can take a curse (or 2), no problem w/ that. My concern: is it safe if my light is so bright that it will blind oncoming trail users / bikers / cars, and they will run / crash onto me?

Smart light mounting helps a lot. The lower down your light is mounted, the more useable the trail coverage is without blinding people. If you use a handlebar mount, expect to use the side-to-side pivot feature on busy trails. Or run a 100 lumen secondary and turn your primary off on busy trails.

Have you driven on GW Memorial Pkwy at night? If so, have you seen cyclists riding on Mt Vernon trails, do you know what is the lumen for those lights? I want to have a light bright enough like those.

Yes. Yes. Most of those are Capital Bikeshare bikes - I don't know the light specifics but I would be surprised if they were less than 500-600 lumens. @Rudi Riet would probably know.

As for back light, I was told it is for safety reason. How important it is to have a good back light? Reason for asking, my current set is pretty cheap and I wonder if I should spend $$$ on front light only or I should invest on a set.

Yes. Rear lights are amazingly visible at quite low cost. Have two - then you can run at least one in non-blinking mode and cars can place you much more accurately.

W/ expensive bike lights, do you worry they may get stolen? It's a hassle to take these accessories w/ you when you are running errands on bike.

I'm not really fussed about it; I have quick-clamp attachments for most everything if I expect to be away from the bike for any length of time. I'm usually much more paranoid about the GPS headunit.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Personally, I prefer a helmet light over a handlebar light for a couple of reasons.
  1. I can shine the light where I want to go
  2. I can look around, more periferral and fore/aft
  3. I can look at cars, specifically the driver, to make sure they see me.
  4. the light becomes more multi use, around the house and even hiking.
  5. Handlebar light can be added too.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Personally, I prefer a helmet light over a handlebar light for a couple of reasons.

All good Pros. And they make it much easier to see fishing lines, for sure.

Some Cons:

- Weight on head
- High up mounting position means everyone else is blinded if the light is high-lumen.
- All the shadows are directly away from the rider and you can't see them. For a lot of people this makes distance and depth very difficult to interpret.
- There is a "wearing sunglasses" tunnel vision effect; the eyes can't easily look beyond the sides of the beam pattern.
- It represents a force focus even in slo-mo crashes, like a rock that doesn't slide.
- Completely blinding to the rider in heavy rain or fog (like last Saturday).

I quite like having both helmet and bike lights, with the helmet as a secondary. But then, I also have a helmet quiver.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Standard around here is BOTH.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks all for your detailed response. Much appreciated.

For context, I don't do mountain biking, only recreational on bike trails +/- running errands using my bike. I have been avoiding biking at night due to poor visibility. I really enjoy riding my bike and I'd like to spend more time on the saddle in the future.

I may get the one Tony has. Saw a pre-owned one on FB Marketplace.
Okay, you folks are dealing with a totally different set of challenges from me. What is all this about fishing line?

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No reason to buy expensive bike lights, they ask come from china anyway and they ask use the same leds.
For mtb, you'll need 4-5,000 lumens on the handlebars and sand in the helmet.

Both will cost 150 together or less

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Okay, you folks are dealing with a totally different set of challenges from me. What is all this about fishing line?

Exactly what it sounds like - if you look, for example here or here or here , among other spots, people fish all the way across the trail. And will sometimes leave tackle across the trail. 4-5 rods per fisher person is not unusual.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Exactly what it sounds like - if you look, for example here or here or here , among other spots, people fish all the way across the trail. And will sometimes leave tackle across the trail. 4-5 rods per fisher person is not unusual.
That sounds better than my assumption that people were stringing it across the path in a malicious manner to injure cyclists.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I adore the Outbound Lighting lights.. for path riding I would suggest the Hangover for your helmet. $130 and a fantastic beam pattern. Much superior to the bontrager lights as I own a couple of them, they are pretty much glorified flashlights. If you can't spend the 130for the hangover, get a Niterider 1000 or 1200 boost. Its got a fairly decent spread to the beam but will gradually dim as the light is used..

After the Hangover, look into Outbounds Focal road light. Its a cutoff beam, so as long as it's aimed right you won't be dazzling oncoming traffic. Could even be used as a head mounted as long as you got a spot to put the battery.

Sponsor

Staff online