• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

bike shoe design

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
As always there is a lot of collective knowledge here.

Does anyone know why bike shoes are high heel design? They aren't ramped, but the forefoot is scooped out and is significantly lower than the heel?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Does anyone know why bike shoes are high heel design? They aren't ramped, but the forefoot is scooped out and is significantly lower than the heel?

Notice that they're also fully rigid and that the sole has *zero* rocker.

Road shoes have a worse geometry for walking than ski boots do, because road shoes usually have a great huge cleat on the front.

What you're noticing is a slight walking adaptation for those with limited ankle ROM - one that, as @Ron points out, effectively disappears when clipped in.

TS
T

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
I get what Ron and Cantunamunch are saying, but what is the biomechanics thinking behind this design?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I get what Ron and Cantunamunch are saying, but what is the biomechanics thinking behind this design?
I'm guessing it's less about biomechanics than about reducing risk of contact with the road. The sole's heel has zero function when you're actually on the bike. From a pedaling mechanics point of view it could be a spike heel or an Earth shoe, and it wouldn't matter; you pivot around the pedal axle to the spot that feels right / powerful at the moment. But if you are pedaling around a corner (!) you don't want anything to be lower than the pedal itself, right?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
I've been thinking about this and had meant to come back to it. If anyone's still interested, here's my take.
A powerful and efficient pedal stroke has the heel of the foot +/-15 degrees from level with the ball of foot. I refer to this as "the heel is BEHIND the pedal". I use the word behind to differentiate from above or below very intentionally. With the heel behind the pedal, there are a lot of fore/aft forces going on. Look at the cycling shoe. Orient it to a "heel behind the pedal" (horizontal) position. You see nothing more than elevated points both in front of the heel, and in front of the toes. It's shaped like a foot. These contours allow a relaxed foot to stay in place inside the shoe.

Alternate short answer:
The heel of a cycling shoe is NOT elevated.

Sponsor

Staff online