• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bike shorts padding and style preferences

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have four different pair of padded shorts/liners with four different densities, form and features. Other than one pair that is super light on padding, (which I only wear late into the season when my sit bones have toughened up) I really can't tell much difference.

Is there something you prefer in a padded short/liner.

Since we're built differently I know men and women likely prefer something different, but then, most of the tenderness I experience is early season sit bone area, not other areas.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Oooooh, dear. Chamois preference is a very personal can of worms.

Basically: not all chamois/pads work for all posteriors. Some rub wrong. Some are too dense, others are not thick enough.

One thing that's certain is that the padding in bike shorts has improved a lot in the past decade. Single-piece molded chamois pads are less likely to rub in the wrong places, they move better, and they dry more quickly.

My personal preference: thinner is better. Avoid gel padding at all costs as it shifts, resettles, and breaks down, creating additional chafing points. Higher-level stuff tends to be better, but not always. Always check the quality of seam stitching as well as how the pads are stitched into the shorts.

And I only use bib shorts these days. Their comfort over the long haul is so much better, and the padding stays where it should. I understand that this isn't as convenient for women, though some brands (e.g. Velocio) have made great strides to produce bibs that are still easy to use when nature calls.

The brands of bibs I use these days: The Black Bibs Plus are my faves (great bang-for-the-buck and their tall cut is perfect for me - also built to last), though I also like bibs I have from Craft, Hincapie, and VOMax. I've had bibs from Bontrager that were comfy but the stitching was terrible and failed after a season. I've tested Rapha, Velocio, and Eliel and liked them all but the price is too steep. The new Castelli one-piece bibs are intriguing.

And as I've said on other threads: hand wash your shorts if you want them to last. Most washing machines do not treat the modern fabrics well and will cause premature wear and tear. Delicates bags are a solution but they don't often let the garment get properly clean throughout, per my experience.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oooooh, dear. Chamois preference is a very personal can of worms.
You can say that again!

My Dakine Competition liners that are discontinued are my favorites to start the season with becaue the density and placement of the padding is ample for getting the sit bones "in condition".
Because they were discontinued and I needed a replacement, @AmyPJ recommended a pair of Zoic liners that she loves. I ended up really liking them.

Meanwhile I ordered a pair of Terry shorts with liners on sale at TerryCycles.com, which have a really light liner and I really really like them for super hot days.

This search of a good liner to replace my Dakines make me wonder how much different each brand/style is.

My experience has exposed some pitfalls of styles more than brands.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There aren't that many manufacturers of the materials that companies use for chamois padding, especially the single-piece molded stuff. Where things differ is in how the final product manufacturers cut the padding, stitch the edges, etc.

But the fact that there are few manufacturers of padding mean that some brands share exactly the same padding, even down to the cut and stitching. Giro's bib knickers and Rapha's bib knickers? The same pad. And given that some brands share factories there's an amazing amount of "close cousin" bikewear lines out there.

Where brands differentiate themselves is most often the cut of the whole garment. Some brands concentrate more on race cuts (form fitting, lots of compression), others in club cuts (more relaxed and more forgiving for less "Euro pro" builds), still others in MTB or city riding. Some jerseys fit best in a drop-bar racing position, others in a more upright touring position. Different weights of lycra are used depending on the focus of the garment, etc.

A couple companies make their own chamois pads (e.g. Castelli) because bikewear is their primary focus and they push the envelope in terms of new product development. These are the exception to the norm.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Voler's bottoms are very hit-or-miss for me. I've been meaning to try their Black Label and Jet models, given it looks like their padding is one that I like. The previous pair of bibs I had from them rubbed me so wrong that they were returned after a couple wears.

Note that I've had multiple Voler jerseys that have been awesome.

Like I said in my first reply: bike shorts and their padding are a very personal can of worms.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I have Zoic MTB shorts..they have a nice removable liner short with synthetic chamois that borders on a diaper for me. I don't mind that so much these days. And really, the chamois wasn't intended for padding remember..it's intended for water absorption and wicking and stopping chafing.

As Rudi says..it's kinda personal like saddles. I like minimally padded saddles with very well formed and flexible shells. They may FEEL like sitting on a splitting axe at first..but honestly, for the amount of weight on a very small area, you NEED very firm to have any kind of real suspension.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I’ve been wearing mid-range Volers for years with never a problem.

I find them comparable to the Black Bibs Plus pads; the BBPs are maybe marginally firmer but the Voler are round cut and compress to approximately the same pattern.

Left to right: Suarez, Voler, Black Bibs Plus. All good for 2hrs+ on all my saddles.

IMG_20210714_181005.jpg

There are a lot of pads on market I would rate well beneath either Voler or BBP (Aero Tech, Aerius, pretty much every direct-China brand except maybe Lameda)

Last edited:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Over 30 years, I’ve shopped around. When I find bibs that work well after, say 10-15 rides, I buy at least three pairs. Current fave is Sugoi RS pro. But as Rudi says, it’s all personal. And…I will add that everything matters. I changed seats with my new bike and I’m not sure yet that the new seat (which I like) plays well with the Sugois.

You may get a little direction here, but you’ve come awfully close to asking the bike equivalent of “which boots are best for me?”

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Current fave is Sugoi RS pro. But as Rudi says, it’s all personal. And…I will add that everything matters. I changed seats with my new bike and I’m not sure yet that the new seat (which I like) plays well with the Sugois.

I have found the same thing on some of my seats. It's like the RS Pro won't settle onto the saddle. Plural in my case (Ergon SM, Spesh Phenom Comp). It's perfectly fine on others. :huh:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have four different pair of padded shorts/liners with four different densities, form and features. Other than one pair that is super light on padding, (which I only wear late into the season when my sit bones have toughened up) I really can't tell much difference.

Is there something you prefer in a padded short/liner.

Since we're built differently I know men and women likely prefer something different, but then, most of the tenderness I experience is early season sit bone area, not other areas.

A fool's errand for a bunch of mostly guys to recommend padded shorts to a woman over the interweb -- I'll just note that thicker is not necessarily better.

Mrs. K swears by Louis Garneau and Terry.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
A couple companies make their own chamois pads (e.g. Castelli) because bikewear is their primary focus and they push the envelope in terms of new product development. These are the exception to the norm.

You know, I keep wondering if we're ever going to see that Arkema Pebax wonder foam in chamois pads.

I mean they've already used it for running shoes and Silca are already using it for bar tape...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You know, I keep wondering if we're ever going to see that Arkema Pebax wonder foam in chamois pads.

For my next chamois, I'm holding out for graphene!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A fool's errand for a bunch of mostly guys to recommend padded shorts to a woman over the interweb -- I'll just note that thicker is not necessarily better.

Mrs. K swears by Louis Garneau and Terry.
I'm not necessarily looking for advice for my liners, but curious what others are preferring and if it changes depending on the type of riding and time of year.

I really like the Terry Fixie shorts I just started wearing(Link below) for hot weather because the padding isn't very dense and they seem more breathable.
So, yeah, I agree that thicker isn't always better.

Also, I was riding with a friend yesterday who just invested in a cushier saddle for her bike to go with her fairly well padded liners, while I was riding with the thinner liner on the stock Bontrager saddle (same saddle she replaced) and I was fine.
So, (again) yeah, different preferences.

To be fair, I have ridden a whole lot more than she has this year, so my sit bones have toughened up.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I find them comparable to the Black Bibs Plus pads; the BBPs are maybe marginally firmer but the Voler are round cut and compress to approximately the same pattern.

Left to right: Suarez, Voler, Black Bibs Plus. All good for 2hrs+ on all my saddles.

View attachment 137688

There are a lot of pads on market I would rate well beneath either Voler or BBP (Aero Tech, Aerius, pretty much every direct-China brand except maybe Lameda)
That right there just shows that you have three completely different padded liners and they all work for you.
And, frankly, I have two pair of Dakine Competition liners which fit very differently and have very different padding.
:huh:

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
<rant>If we are talking pure comfort and not style, the best thing a contemporary MTB rider can do is go retro / roadie / xc and lose the useless outer short. All it does is make you hot and add opportunities for chafing. Please don't tell me about the alleged benefits of pockets. (Who wants something bouncing on your thigh with every pedal stroke?) </rant>

Sponsor

Staff online