• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
:jawdropper:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Doidn't watch the making of.. but looks like they rode the run out with their rear brake fully locked sitting on the locked rear wheel all the way down

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Doidn't watch the making of.. but looks like they rode the run out with their rear brake fully locked sitting on the licked rear wheel all the way down
You should watch it; it's very revealing. The stunt wasn't as easy as it looks.
BTW, there is no way I would do that on a bike. The thought of that seat anywhere near my crotch going over that terrain at speed is more than I want to even think about.

Last edited:

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
You should watch it; it's very revealing. The stunt wasn't as easy as it looks.
BTW, there is now way I would do that on a bike. The thought of that seat anywhere near my crotch going over that terrain at speed is more than I want to even think about.
They did mentioned "it takes a special someone..." to do that kind of stunt.

I enjoy watching the "making of" video. Peal away the glitz, makes it feel a lot more real.

The bike control was amazing!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^^Reminds me of the balls we see with some of the crazier long boarders bombing mountain highways passing cars. I had a conversation with someone a few years ago saying it was only a matter of time until someone dropped Corbetts on a mountain bike. I was talking about some cray pro going for it in the summer on dirt and rocks though..

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
YOU GUYS

I just want to point out that one of the riders was Casey Brown.

Like, a female type person.

That is all.

Okay, that's not all.

https://www.tetongravity.com/feature/bike/breaking-through-casey

Just after 7:30, McCaul is the first to jump. He lands smoothly, then rockets through the couloir before augering his front tire into the snow and wiping out. Still, he’s unscathed and Brown seems buoyed by his success.

“Do you still want to do this?” asks Schaffer. “Oh, yeah,” says Brown.

Ten minutes later, the radio crackles. “Thirty seconds,” the voice says. Brown adjusts her blue and red full-face helmet, wraps her hands around her handlebars, and lowers her head.

“Three…two…one…drop!”

Brown pushes off and heads toward the lip of the couloir. As she takes flight, the group falls completely silent. Brown is in the air for two intense seconds, and then… “She stuck it!” shouts somebody from the TGR crew.

As soon as Brown hits the snow, she begins picking up a tremendous amount of speed. Unable to use her brakes on the slick surface, she begins careering down at over 60 miles per hour, hitting undulations that cause her to hover above the surface. Finally, about 300 feet down, her bike rotates and Brown goes flying over the handlebars, landing headfirst, then tomahawking 50 feet down the mountain. When she stops sliding, she raises her hands in the air.

When I finally make it down to Brown, about 20 minutes after her crash, she’s stretching her back and wiping crusted blood from the end of her nose. “I was going so fast!” she says. She giggles a little and tilts her head to one side to work out a kink. “But I made it,” she says. “I’m still alive.”

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
YOU GUYS

I just want to point out that one of the riders was Casey Brown.

Like, a female type person.

That is all.

Okay, that's not all.

https://www.tetongravity.com/feature/bike/breaking-through-casey

Just after 7:30, McCaul is the first to jump. He lands smoothly, then rockets through the couloir before augering his front tire into the snow and wiping out. Still, he’s unscathed and Brown seems buoyed by his success.

“Do you still want to do this?” asks Schaffer. “Oh, yeah,” says Brown.

Ten minutes later, the radio crackles. “Thirty seconds,” the voice says. Brown adjusts her blue and red full-face helmet, wraps her hands around her handlebars, and lowers her head.

“Three…two…one…drop!”

Brown pushes off and heads toward the lip of the couloir. As she takes flight, the group falls completely silent. Brown is in the air for two intense seconds, and then… “She stuck it!” shouts somebody from the TGR crew.

As soon as Brown hits the snow, she begins picking up a tremendous amount of speed. Unable to use her brakes on the slick surface, she begins careering down at over 60 miles per hour, hitting undulations that cause her to hover above the surface. Finally, about 300 feet down, her bike rotates and Brown goes flying over the handlebars, landing headfirst, then tomahawking 50 feet down the mountain. When she stops sliding, she raises her hands in the air.

When I finally make it down to Brown, about 20 minutes after her crash, she’s stretching her back and wiping crusted blood from the end of her nose. “I was going so fast!” she says. She giggles a little and tilts her head to one side to work out a kink. “But I made it,” she says. “I’m still alive.”
I have three children. Two of which are female type persons. I expect no less of them (and no more) than I expect from my son.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Interesting that she wasn't wearing a neck brace. Mind you I imagine that comes with its own helmet thread arguments.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I have three children. Two of which are female type persons. I expect no less of them (and no more) than I expect from my son.

Absolutely. But I'll continue to be excited about seeing women do things like this until it's so normal that it's, well, normal and not noteworthy. I don't think we're there yet.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sheesh!

Two "team mates" really sending it in my old home stomping grounds.

Great way to start the day, thanks for the links!

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Absolutely. But I'll continue to be excited about seeing women do things like this until it's so normal that it's, well, normal and not noteworthy. I don't think we're there yet.
I'm not so sure.

It isn't exactly "normal" to jump off Corbet's, have uncontrolled slide at 60 mph till one crashes and rag doll for 50 yards.

Women tend to do a lot fewer of "things like this" because they have better sense of self-preservation (or they are typically not pressured into doing such things by their peer).

So I'm not sure it's a good thing to see more women doing such dangerous stunt.

She's one super talented rider! Hope she keeps it together and have a long and illustrious career.

Last edited:

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
There is plenty of readily observable and easy to study evidence that supports women being more cautious throughout our evolution. Not that they aren't brave, just that they don't usually take avoidable stupid risks. Thanks Mom!

Outliers are welcome but neither should we be pressuring women to conform to self-destructive third-wave feminist contradictory values... suicide by gravity is just that.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I've done some silly stuff on bikes in snow..big problem, as they probably knew, front wheel digs in! :D Pretty mad skillz..on the plus side, hurts less when you bin it..

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, why are they not on fat bikes? It seems to me wider tires would help, but it's their lives on the line so there must be a reason.

Sponsor

Staff online