• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
This could either be an interesting discussion or I will get laughed out of here. Or, maybe it's a nonissue?

Curious if Binding Freedom inserts can confidently be used for demo binding rails. Anyone doing this?

Related: Are there any implications wrt release testing (frequency), or, since the fit of the toe & heel housing on the track is a factory fit, this setup is effectively the same as moving a retail binding using BF from ski to ski?

Thanks.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
No reason why not...but why? Unless you plan on using a tech binding on the same ski.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
not overly knowledgeable about ski application of inserts but seems it differ little from reg binding if used on Demo.

but can't one just buy extra Demo plate in most cases for other skis?

TS
chopchop

chopchop

Skier
No reason why not...but why? Unless you plan on using a tech binding on the same ski.

Yeah - "Why?" is a pretty reasonable question.

I'm in learning mode wrt powder skis. I want to have the flexibility to play with mount points if I can figure an intelligent setup. BF would allow me to get one good demo binding and swap it from pair to pair next season. This way I can test two or more variables: both ski bias (e.g. lighter-float; heavier-blaster; directional; etc.) and mount point, but not have to buy two pairs of bindings (which is, to my understanding, why many folks use BF). Feel free to rip any of this :)

TS
chopchop

chopchop

Skier
not overly knowledgeable about ski application of inserts but seems it differ little from reg binding if used on Demo.

but can't one just buy extra Demo plate in most cases for other skis?

If demo plates were easy to come by that makes more sense. My limited knowledge suggests they're not easy for consumer shlubs like me to find. Do you know a source*? Feel free to DM.

*aside from buying beat up demo skis just to cannibalize the rails.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Haven't shopped for some time ... but 6-7 yrs ago I thought I had saw Tyrolia plates for their rail lites when shopping for demo type bindings. Maybe it was my imagination, I typically just bought new as bindings age and price wise for my kids were pretty cheap.

ah well, my error ... apologies

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Haven't shopped for some time ... but 6-7 yrs ago I thought I had saw Tyrolia plates for their rail lites when shopping for demo type bindings. Maybe it was my imagination, I typically just bought new as bindings age and price wise for my kids were pretty cheap.

ah well, my error ... apologies
The Rail Lites were available seperate.

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
I should add. My reason using insert is different than yours. However, if you want to use same binding on different pair skis. That's what those inserts for.
If you buy binding freedom inserts definitely worse buys their installation kit which make job much easier. And use little epoxy when installs them. They easy to install diy job , especially when binding was installed in the shop previously
Another option brass woodworking type because there substantially cheaper but require more work

TS
chopchop

chopchop

Skier
I should add. My reason using insert is different than yours. However, if you want to use same binding on different pair skis. That's what those inserts for.
If you buy binding freedom inserts definitely worse buys their installation kit which make job much easier. And use little epoxy when installs them. They easy to install diy job , especially when binding was installed in the shop previously
Another option brass woodworking type because there substantially cheaper but require more work

Spasibo, @mishka.

I'm curious: What extra work must be done when installing brass woodworking inserts (vs. BF/QK?)? I just watched a video and it seems pretty straight-forward.

Last edited:

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
extra work not in installation ofinserts but in inserts themselves. #10 (which is similar to M6 BF) require drilling 1/2" diameter hole. #8 which noticeably smaller but inserts same diameter/size as BF.. Extra step is in drill and tap #8 . To make it #10
if you're okay with number eight there is no extra work
"and that's all I have to say about that." :beercheer:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was not familiar with Binding Freedom inserts, so thanks, @chopchop.

These might be a useful option for me, at times - for example, with a pair of skis that I currently have Shift bindings on for 27.5 skinning/backcountry boots. I'd usually prefer to use these skis at resorts with my 26.5 alpine boots (and thus different, Alpine bindings, or the same Shift bindings set up for those smaller boots, in different holes?). (I've found that for skinning and backcountry, I prefer a larger boot size.)

Since I'm new to these, not sure if this would work well or not, but from the SVST descriptions & offerings, and this thread, maybe(?):

TS
chopchop

chopchop

Skier

These might be a useful option for me, at times - for example, with a pair of skis that I currently have Shift bindings on for 27.5 skinning/backcountry boots. I'd usually prefer to use these skis at resorts with my 26.5 alpine boots (and thus different, Alpine bindings, or the same Shift bindings set up for those smaller boots, in different holes?). (I've found that for skinning and backcountry, I prefer a larger boot size.)

Since I'm new to these, not sure if this would work well or not, but from the SVST descriptions & offerings, and this thread, maybe(?):

Sounds like a scenario where BF may be helpful, @ski otter 2, esp. if you prefer a lower stand height and otherwise more alpine-oriented bindings for in-bounds. I have been reading a lot - folks use them for different reasons but swapping backcountry {or telemark) bindings for alpine bindings on the same ski seems to be the leading reason.

I also love the idea of taking bindings off when taking multiple pairs of skis on a plane. My original thinking (not very original) was to save a few dollars by using one set of bindings across two pairs of skis. But I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

Last edited:

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What about the convenience factor of always having a binding on your skis ready to go ?
I usually have Demos on all my skis. When I go to my home hill, or road-trip to far away, I have 2-3-4 skis in the trunk and can quickly swap out without any fuss, as they are all set at my BSL and desired mount point for each ski. Fumbling with sliding off-on frozen bindings with bare hands is no joy.

But when I hop on a plane, I take 2 skis and 1 set of of bindings. For that type of trip, it is worth the nuisance to lift a lever to SLIDE off-on toes and heels for the ski I want that day before I head out. I take only 1 ski to the hill and accept my fate. Using BF / QK, having to undo screws with a screw driver, either at my home hill, or while away at a far destination, seems like way too much nuisance.

Especially when you can buy a new current model Demo binding for $140 $US / $195 $C

And if you don't need Gripwalk and can roll with an 11 DIN, you can get previous gen Wardens 11 Demos for $70-$85 $US

I can see the attraction of the BF / QK to alternate between a tech binding and alpine binding, but not for swapping a demo binding in a regularly used rotation of skis. Though I'm lazy and a high place value on convenience. ogwink And then think about resale potential, if you are a chronic gear-flipper like me.

TS
chopchop

chopchop

Skier
What about the convenience factor of always having a binding on your skis ready to go ?
I usually have Demos on all my skis. When I go to my home hill, or road-trip to far away, I have 2-3-4 skis in the trunk and can quickly swap out without any fuss, as they are all set at my BSL and desired mount point for each ski. Fumbling with sliding off-on frozen bindings with bare hands is no joy.

But when I hop on a plane, I take 2 skis and 1 set of of bindings. For that type of trip, it is worth the nuisance to lift a lever to SLIDE off-on toes and heels for the ski I want that day before I head out. I take only 1 ski to the hill and accept my fate. Using BF / QK, having to undo screws with a screw driver, either at my home hill, or while away at a far destination, seems like way too much nuisance.

Especially when you can buy a new current model Demo binding for $140 $US / $195 $C

And if you don't need Gripwalk and can roll with an 11 DIN, you can get previous gen Wardens 11 Demos for $70-$85 $US

I can see the attraction of the BF / QK to alternate between a tech binding and alpine binding, but not for swapping a demo binding in a regularly used rotation of skis. Though I'm lazy and a high place value on convenience. ogwink And then think about resale potential, if you are a chronic gear-flipper like me.

Convenience is king, as they say. Yes, I agree with pretty much everything you said @ARL67. The envisioned use of BF here would be case-specific (for testing & learning about diff types of pow skis), not a forever solution. Would be cool if they sold rails separately but, alas, that is not in the interests of the mfg or the retailer.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Shifts have over 20mm of travel so unless your AT boots are over two sizes larger, you should be fine. Plus the Shifts ski every well in donhill mode.

Sponsor

Staff online