• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

binding lubricant needed?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Clarification of my hasty point: When I buy a set of disc brakes for my bike, the mfr provides lots of detailed information about - for example - what kind of brake fluid is required. There are tons of DIY videos, posts, tool kits, and other resources out there re: how to bleed the brakes, how to test, "dos and don'ts," etc. I don't see any obvious pushback from bike shops and/or manufacturers on this. They seem to want the general public to have the best available info. Now obviously no one is encouraging amateur mechanics with low competence / confidence to work on their brakes. Never have, never will. Everyone agrees that taking your bike to a good shop if you aren't willing to take on the learning curve and responsibility is the right course of action. Not disputing that. My point is that no one is trying to bury the key info needed to work on the brakes effectively and safely.

My point was that I'm not aware of any bike components that have indemnification legally mandated with the manufacturers. In the ski world, it's the indemnification that provides the binding manufactures with legal liability protection (or at least that's the idea, not sure how much that actually "sticks" in a court of law).

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I think once you start doing stuff your self, the indemnification is out the window. If you buy binding A and mix toe pieces with heel pieces from binding B, well..that's pretty much your problem...

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I have noticed in the pamphlet that came with new Atomic bindings they mention greasing in the maintenance section. Also the Atomic Shop Manual discusses removing old/dirty grease during annual inspection and regreasing. The only thing they say about the grease is to "Use binding grease only". No other mention on what type that is, or where to get it.
Lucas Red "N" Tacky, check it out.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I use this, but they are just my skis. :) Also makes a great lube for getting high wrap water ski bindings on too.

1640735410203.png

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Glad you clarified there..cuz I've seen some stuff in the bike world.... :geek::roflmao:

Yep.

If ski world operated like bike world, the market would be flooded with off-brand Gripwalk AFDs, with fake Look Pivot brakes, with no-name Driver-toe pseudo-Salomons. We'd have ultra-cheap single-ball-bearing bindings (think Nava system, Voile CRB) in plastic housings for ~$100 on eBay and $30 on Alibaba. We'd be talking about whether Chinese carbon fiber bindings with names appropriated from Tolkien are actually 'safe' to ski. And we'd be ordering parts from Germany because of course Germany would have stricter consumer-protection laws than anyone else in the EU, with their own concepts of what constitutes safe. Just like they currently do with generator hubs, dynamos and bike lighting.

Careful what we wish for.

Sponsor

Staff online