• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Like with skis, there are a lot of new bindings coming out for 2017. Some are new colors, and others go as far as significant redesigns. We are seeing new acronyms like WTR: what is it and how does it affect performance? Ramp angles, what should I look for? Demo/adjustable bindings? What happened to my beloved Rossi FKS? We have some of the smartest ski minds posting here; ask them what you want to know!

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
What is impact is WTR? Is it a keeper or will it vanish like the line center mounted clamps?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What is impact is WTR? Is it a keeper or will it vanish like the line center mounted clamps?
Stay tuned. We have been doing research and will have a full report in September. :popcorn:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does binding choice matter?
Thanks for the softball. Yes, binding choice matters. Bindings are the interface between the boot and the ski. Simple and pretty obvious. But is does go past that. A better binding will enhance that interface, it will be more solid and allow you to maximize the performance. If you notice, I don't say a higher DIN binding is necessarily better, a Look Pivot 12 and Pivot 14 are the same exact binding except for the spring, is the 14 worth the extra $50.00 for the extra 2? IMHO, no, if you are skiing either of these over a 10DIN, you should be in the all-metal version, the Pivot 18, this is where members like @Bill Talbot asks for Look to bring back the Pivot 15 which is a 6-15DIN range, but that is being discussed here, Look, Bring Back The Pivot 15. On the other end of the spectrum, can a 52-year-old skier who is 5'9" and weights 160 lb with a 315 boot sole length ski a Marker 7.0 junior binding? Why not, the skier is a 6 DIN and the Marker goes to a 7? Because binding choice matters, that ski might not make it through the lift maze without coming out of the binding.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Why can't I get spare baseplates for my Griffin demos? Well I know why commercially but it just makes me resolved to avoid ever buying Marker again.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why can't I get spare baseplates for my Griffin demos? Well I know why commercially but it just makes me resolved to avoid ever buying Marker again.
Simple. Because there is more profit in selling more than one pair wrapped under the guise of liability of setting own bindings. In Marker's defense, this is not just them, but every manufacture. The only one who designed and sold a system like this was Vist..and where are they in the market place?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Yep know the answer it's just not the answer for quivers travelling to ski. Rather than take money off me they'd rather see me on Quiver Killers.

michael

Skier
When it comes to bindings, I rely on the expert advice of my ski shop, but as I've looked into gear I am vexed as to why DIN ranges on bindings are so varied. For example, within the Marker Royal family of bindings there at least 5 differing ranges?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When it comes to bindings, I rely on the expert advice of my ski shop, but as I've looked into gear I am vexed as to why DIN ranges on bindings are so varied. For example, within the Marker Royal family of bindings there at least 5 differing ranges?

Great question! Maybe this will help explain it.

Royal Bindings:
  • Free 10 3-10
  • Squire 3-11
  • Griffon 4-13
  • Lord 5-14
  • Jester 6-16
  • Jester Pro 8-18

You are not so much buying DIN but a better and more solid housing which creates a stronger interface between your boot and the ski. Each of the Marker bindings listed above is better as you move up the range. This is not always the case, there are cases where you can spend more for a binding and not get anything tangibly different. Salomon Z10 and Z12, same binding but the 12 will cost you more. Look Pivot 12 and 14, same thing, the 14 has the same exact housing as the 12, just a 5-14 spring verses a 4-12 spring. The Tyrolia Attack 12 and 13 are the same also.

michael

Skier
So is there a difference in the physical properties of the spring, then? Or is it just that with a more pro model the DIN range is that which is most suitable to a skier requiring that level of binding?

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Great question! Maybe this will help explain it.

Royal Bindings:
  • Free 10 3-10
  • Squire 3-11
  • Griffon 4-13
  • Lord 5-14
  • Jester 6-16
  • Jester Pro 8-18

You are not so much buying DIN but a better and more solid housing which creates a stronger interface between your boot and the ski. Each of the Marker bindings listed above is better as you move up the range. This is not always the case, there are cases where you can spend more for a binding and not get anything tangibly different. Salomon Z10 and Z12, same binding but the 12 will cost you more. Look Pivot 12 and 14, same thing, the 14 has the same exact housing as the 12, just a 5-14 spring verses a 4-12 spring. The Tyrolia Attack 12 and 13 are the same also.

You make a valid point here as bind manufacturers can set a wider range of DIN settings if they really wanted to while providing a higher quality binding. This would both reduce cost and allow for a broader range of market. The side benefits would be that retailers would would carry a smaller inventory, service a larger customer base at lower cost, increased profits for all and lower cost to skiers.

But hey what do I know. :huh:

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So is there a difference in the physical properties of the spring, then? Or is it just that with a more pro model the DIN range is that which is most suitable to a skier requiring that level of binding?
Yes, the springs are indeed differnent. A 6 should act like a 6 on any binding. Should. There lies the difference. Like I said, as you move up, you get a better housing that actually can increase performance of a ski. Lateral spring bindings, like the Marker Royals and Tyrolia Attacks have a very quick return to center keeping you solid on the ski. Longitudily designed springs like in Salomon Drivers or Look WTR toes have more elasticity so they will hold you in longer. There is no right or wrong way, just different.

As you move up the food chain in bindings, skiers will want retention over release because they might be skiing terrain or at speeds where it is safer for the binding not to release than for the ski to come off. Bindings are as much about confidence as anything.

michael

Skier
Yes, the springs are indeed differnent. A 6 should act like a 6 on any binding. Should. There lies the difference. Like I said, as you move up, you get a better housing that actually can increase performance of a ski. Lateral spring bindings, like the Marker Royals and Tyrolia Attacks have a very quick return to center keeping you solid on the ski. Longitudily designed springs like in Salomon Drivers or Look WTR toes have more elasticity so they will hold you in longer. There is no right or wrong way, just different.

As you move up the food chain in bindings, skiers will want retention over release because they might be skiing terrain or at speeds where it is safer for the binding not to release than for the ski to come off. Bindings are as much about confidence as anything.

That makes sense - I was under the assumption that the spring was the same (for a given manufacturer) and that one's DIN setting was what altered the force required to achieve an equivalent amount of spring compression.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Will Marker do a next-gen Piston Plate :)

Is Vist still indemnified :)
I am sure.

Yes, I imagine, Bomber is using them and Nordica used them on some of the FireArrow Skis as recent as last year.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Ok Phil (and others), not really, quite a "2017" question as much as a basic question. I got skis and bindings on the mail. I still haave to buy the season skis/boots for the kids, so I'm to the snowballs with all this, and I'm trying to simplify things a bit.

I know bindings can be mounted a bit forward or backward depending on many factors. Is that critical? Should I really look for a great shop and perhaps do it in Tahoe? Or can I take the stuff to any shop close to where I live (3hs away from Tahoe) and get them mounted? (I would love the convenience)

Btw, these are Marker Griffons and Dynastar PT 98 179.

Thanks so much!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ok Phil (and others), not really, quite a "2017" question as much as a basic question. I got skis and bindings on the mail. I still haave to buy the season skis/boots for the kids, so I'm to the snowballs with all this, and I'm trying to simplify things a bit.

I know bindings can be mounted a bit forward or backward depending on many factors. Is that critical? Should I really look for a great shop and perhaps do it in Tahoe? Or can I take the stuff to any shop close to where I live (3hs away from Tahoe) and get them mounted? (I would love the convenience)

Btw, these are Marker Griffons and Dynastar PT 98 179.

Thanks so much!
I assume you mean Dynastar Powertrak 89 in a 179? Nice ski and it skis fine on the line. If you are down in the bay, see Greg at California Ski Company him and his crew are some of my favorites.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I assume you mean Dynastar Powertrak 89 in a 179? Nice ski and it skis fine on the line. If you are down in the bay, see Greg at California Ski Company him and his crew are some of my favorites.

Will do, thanks much! Yes, the Powertrack 89. It was highly recommended in another forum for my needs, at this point. Cheers!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Will do, thanks much! Yes, the Powertrack 89. It was highly recommended in another forum for my needs, at this point. Cheers!
I was one of the early adaptors on that PowerTrack 89's, if you do a search on that otehr forum, Epic, you will see some of my psots about it when the skis were released a few years ago. It is a fine ski.

Sponsor

Staff online