• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
This is probably a duplicate question, but it's a long thread. I may be able to buy some used sticks with 305 BSL mounted bindings, but my boots (Tecnica Mach1 MV 25.5) are 295 BSL. That should be within the range where I wouldn't need a remount, right?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is probably a duplicate question, but it's a long thread. I may be able to buy some used sticks with 305 BSL mounted bindings, but my boots (Tecnica Mach1 MV 25.5) are 295 BSL. That should be within the range where I wouldn't need a remount, right?
Depending on if the binding was mouted to a 305, you should be fine. It it was mounted to say a 315 and adjusted down to a 305, maybe not.

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
Depending on if the binding was mouted to a 305, you should be fine. It it was mounted to say a 315 and adjusted down to a 305, maybe not.

Thanks. The post suggests it was actually mounted to 305 and not adjusted down, but I am verifying.

It's an STH2 13 binding, if that makes a difference.

Freddo Bumps

Booting up
Skier
I noticed some narrow (66-68mm) skis - Original +, Head Supershape E-Speed - come with PRD system bindings, which, to my knowledge, have 85mm brakes as their narrowest. This surprised me since conventional wisdom is to stay within 10mm of ski width. Is it because the plate/track raises the binding enough to minimum the likelihood of catching the brake?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I noticed some narrow (66-68mm) skis - Original +, Head Supershape E-Speed - come with PRD system bindings, which, to my knowledge, have 85mm brakes as their narrowest. This surprised me since conventional wisdom is to stay within 10mm of ski width. Is it because the plate/track raises the binding enough to minimum the likelihood of catching the brake?

The newer versions of the 85mm brake retract much farther than the old, thus they no longer have to produce narrower brakes. These new 85mm brakes will fully retract against the heel housing.

Freddo Bumps

Booting up
Skier
The newer versions of the 85mm brake retract much farther than the old, thus they no longer have to produce narrower brakes. These new 85mm brakes will fully retract against the heel housing.
Fantastic insight, thank you! You just saved me some money.

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
I have seen a lot of variation in the "conventional wisdom" regarding brake width vs waist width, everywhere from 10mm to 20mm over is OK depending on where you look. I guess 10mm is the conservative view. Reason I ask is I have a 117mm ski I'm considering putting new bindings on, and I've found a stupid deal on bindings with 130mm brakes. Wondering if that will overhang too much or if I'll be OK?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
A lot of whether the brake will drag is dependent on how the brake retracts. Not all brakes fold up and in. Many just fold mostly up. I'd say a 130 on a 117 is likely to be fine but I'll leave it to others to give you their opinion. Anyone trying to give a detailed answer will need to know what the binding/brake is.

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Everyone has favorite binding brands. Setting aside preference, how much a difference is there in terms of SAFETY between the major, established brands e.g. Salomon, Marker, Tyrolia, Look etc? Can we expect similar safety specs from MOST bindings on the market if installed correctly by a tech who knows what they are doing?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Everyone has favorite binding brands. Setting aside preference, how much a difference is there in terms of SAFETY between the major, established brands e.g. Salomon, Marker, Tyrolia, Look etc? Can we expect similar safety specs from MOST bindings on the market if installed correctly by a tech who knows what they are doing?
Great question. Yes, all bindings are safe.

Troth

Booting up
Skier
Looking for some help with a z17 binding on a Fischer GS ski. I think is has the M/O plate, does this plate have pre-drilled holes?

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
You want to to closer than a CC, I believe .5mm which is about a sheet of paper. Also did you pull the cuff rearward to measure? That will pull the lug upward in the toe piece. Also, put the boot in the binding then see where the forward pressure is and how many scribes are visible. Pictures would be helpful.

0.5mm would be approx 5 sheets of paper (20# white bond paper), not 1 sheet. 1 sheet is 0.1mm

How do I know? I designed printers for HP. We tested 2 million pages of paper, logging each jam by paper size and type. Paper ranged from "Bible" paper 0.03mm to card stock of 0.7mm.

I was forced to learn more about paper sizes and attributes than I ever care to remember.

DreaminBoutPow

Amateur hour
Skier
A lot of whether the brake will drag is dependent on how the brake retracts. Not all brakes fold up and in. Many just fold mostly up. I'd say a 130 on a 117 is likely to be fine but I'll leave it to others to give you their opinion. Anyone trying to give a detailed answer will need to know what the binding/brake is.

Thanks - yeah I should have specified. The binding in question is an Attack^2 13.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm thinking of getting a 72-ish to 79-ish frontside biased ski. Up till now I've been using Attack 13's, but I'm under the impression there are better bindings for a narrower ski. Suggestions?

I don't necessarily need something with a plate, this will be used on piste and off, for bumps and maybe teaching.

Pivot 14? (don't think I need the 15, my DIN setting is usually 6.5)? I'm 5'10" and 150lbs.

Someone please explain STH2 vs Warden (which seems similar to Attack 13). I understand Warden is officially MNC and STH2 is listed as WTR (but can take GW). I've got GW soles but it's easy enough to put the standard soles back on.

PRD?
SPX w/ or without Konnect?
X Comp 12?

Vist Speedcom? I'm not sure I want or need the heavier Speedlock.

thanks

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What are you putting these on? SPX Race Rocker is a under the radar option. XComp 12's are a safe choice. Pivot 12. As far as the Salomon offerings, it is tough to find the 80mm brake option and wither will take GW.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm looking at DPS Alchemist 79 (I keep getting emails from DPS, there might be a few of these available), Crosson Dissenter 78 (intrigues me, they're local and I could actually pick up and drop off skis for tuning there), Laser AX or SC, Blossom White Out (and yes I know about the still-available-in-170 SkiTalk Edizione Speciale Sideral), Augment AM 77, Head E-Rally, Renoun Atlas (though maybe a bit of overlap with my Z90).

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm looking at DPS Alchemist 79 (I keep getting emails from DPS, there might be a few of these available), Crosson Dissenter 78 (intrigues me, they're local and I could actually pick up and drop off skis for tuning there), Laser AX or SC, Blossom White Out (and yes I know about the still-available-in-170 SkiTalk Edizione Speciale Sideral), Augment AM 77, Head E-Rally, Renoun Atlas (though maybe a bit of overlap with my Z90).
Not a bad one in the bunch. There is enough there to drive a sane person crazy.

Turtle1

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I just got a pair of the Crosson Dissenter 78's. Unfortunately, I won't have a chance to try them out until next season so I can't give you any feedback. The design does looks intriguing though. There is a little bit of tail rocker, wide tip, and a flex curve that should promote floatation. Those features should provide decent performance off of the groomed bits even though the design is focused on carving up the groomers. The sidecut is carried all the way to where the tip curves up. I assume that is to maximize edge contact for the ski's length. Probably nothing there that you didn't already know.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January