• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
Are the tracks for the Warden 13MNC Demo, and the 11 Din version the same?

Also, are the brakes interchangeable 11 to 13, and changeable outright? I.e., if you have a 90mm, can you just change it for the 100 like normal bindings or is it fixed?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Are the tracks for the Warden 13MNC Demo, and the 11 Din version the same?
No.
Also, are the brakes interchangeable 11 to 13, and changeable outright? I.e., if you have a 90mm, can you just change it for the 100 like normal bindings or is it fixed?
No. You can change from 11 to 11 and 13 to 13 but not 11 to 13 or 13 to 11.

James

Out There
Instructor
Thanks, very helpful as the deal for the 13 has vanished and the 11 remains.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just got a sweet deal on a pair of Ripstick 106 Black Editions that I couldn't pass up. Will Pivots with 115 mm brakes work? I seem to recall that the Pivot brakes do not liked to be bent a whole lot.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Personally at a competiion or high performance application, I would perfer to not be at the bottom number on the setting scale. Every manufacturer offers a quality binding that has a more obtainable setting range of 4-12 which is the lower end, Look SPX10 & 12, SPX 12 Rockerflex, Atomic Neox 412, Tyrolia FF Evo 11 and the Marker X-Cell 12.0 that some of the better top junior skiers/lighter skiers can use. So while the higher end bindings are indeed better, a solid 4-12 binding like the ones I used as an example are a viable option.
Sorry to dig up an old one, @Philpug, but I'm trawling through this thread due to a dilemma and this touches on it without quite being specific to my case - weight comes into play. I recently tested a Rossi GS ski with a Look Rockerace SPX15. Normally, this would be skied with a PX18, but I have a very long boot sole, so my Z-value is 8. I asked for an SPX12 to be in the middle range, and the SPX15's range starts at 7. Unfortunately, the test centre was out of 12s, so I had to give the 15 a go. Seriously liked the ski, so I bought it, but without the bindings, with the intention of getting a 12 elsewhere. However, now I'm thinking weight and lever-length mean that despite my relatively low setting, the SPX12 wasn't made for me - I'm 6'2 and around 210 lbs. As I'm sure you're aware, Rossi specifically recommends that the ski be used with a PX18, or an SPX 15 in the case of a LIGHTER athlete. Am I right in thinking that would put the SPX12 in the category of EVEN LIGHTER THAN LIGHTER ATHLETE? All this has me wondering whether having tested the ski with an SPX15, I might miss the feeling and performance I enjoyed with what I assume is a less substantial housing on the SPX12, and whether I should really be getting the SPX15. Feeding into this dilemma is that I preferred it to a Head with EVO 16s mounted, and that the greater weight of the binding might have played a role in the Rossi feeling much more substantial and stable.

Someone has suggested to me that if I have the SPX15 tested and it releases at 8, then it's fine. Having not given too much thought to bindings before this issue arose, I'm not in a position to say whether that's right or not. I just know that I really liked the ski and would not want to miss the same feeling I had during the test if it's safe that way.

Grateful for any input.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry to dig up an old one, @Philpug, but I'm trawling through this thread due to a dilemma and this touches on it without quite being specific to my case - weight comes into play. I recently tested a Rossi GS ski with a Look Rockerace SPX15. Normally, this would be skied with a PX18, but I have a very long boot sole, so my Z-value is 8. I asked for an SPX12 to be in the middle range, and the SPX15's range starts at 7. Unfortunately, the test centre was out of 12s, so I had to give the 15 a go. Seriously liked the ski, so I bought it, but without the bindings, with the intention of getting a 12 elsewhere. However, now I'm thinking weight and lever-length mean that despite my relatively low setting, the SPX12 wasn't made for me - I'm 6'2 and around 210 lbs. As I'm sure you're aware, Rossi specifically recommends that the ski be used with a PX18, or an SPX 15 in the case of a LIGHTER athlete. Am I right in thinking that would put the SPX12 in the category of EVEN LIGHTER THAN LIGHTER ATHLETE? All this has me wondering whether having tested the ski with an SPX15, I might miss the feeling and performance I enjoyed with what I assume is a less substantial housing on the SPX12, and whether I should really be getting the SPX15. Feeding into this dilemma is that I preferred it to a Head with EVO 16s mounted, and that the greater weight of the binding might have played a role in the Rossi feeling much more substantial and stable.

Someone has suggested to me that if I have the SPX15 tested and it releases at 8, then it's fine. Having not given too much thought to bindings before this issue arose, I'm not in a position to say whether that's right or not. I just know that I really liked the ski and would not want to miss the same feeling I had during the test if it's safe that way.

Grateful for any input.
I will be as simple as possible. Stay with the 15, it is a better, stronger, more rigid toe.

Stacks

Stacks
Skier
Hi looking at buying some second hand Fischer RC4 Tune skis with a Fischer FX13 binding. Would that possibly be compatible with a GripWalk ski boot sole?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hi looking at buying some second hand Fischer RC4 Tune skis with a Fischer FX13 binding. Would that possibly be compatible with a GripWalk ski boot sole?
Those are 10 plus years old, so they won’t be GW compatible and IIRC had very large delta with the heel much higher than the toe. I wouldn’t buy skis or bindings that old as they are already obsolete.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Those are 10 plus years old, so they won’t be GW compatible and IIRC had very large delta with the heel much higher than the toe. I wouldn’t buy skis or bindings that old as they are already obsolete.
Get what you're saying about bindings if it refers to indemnification, but there are some who think race skis were built better back then. Would an unused ten-year-old ski have deteriorated significantly?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Get what you're saying about bindings if it refers to indemnification, but there are some who think race skis were built better back then. Would an unused ten-year-old ski have deteriorated significantly?
I think what he's saying is that 10 year old skis and bindings would predate GW, so they won't be GW compatible.
Just say no to grip walk.
As to skiing bindings that are not indemnified, that depends on the binding and your risk tolerance. Are they plastic or metal? How much time did they spend on top of someone's car in the salt spray?
I have some 40-year-old bindings I'm not afraid to use, but I like living dangerously.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And those some would be either wrong or non competitive. Now, a 10 year old race binding, at long as it is a 15 DIN or above ... you should be good. I don't think there are many 12 or 14 DIN bindings of that era that I would 100% trust, especially in a race environment even if they are new in the box.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I think what he's saying is that 10 year old skis and bindings would predate GW, so they won't be GW compatible.
Just say no to grip walk.
As to skiing bindings that are not indemnified, that depends on the binding and your risk tolerance. Are they plastic or metal? How much time did they spend on top of someone's car in the salt spray?
I have some 40-year-old bindings I'm not afraid to use, but I like living dangerously.
I bet some of the binding are older than 40 years old.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A full blown race boot with GWS sole? :huh:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had in mind a comment by Bode Miller, is he wrong or non-competitive?
Well, he isn't competing is he? ;) Other than speed event skis (SG, DH and Speed) that need aging and up to months of hot boxing and waxing, I doubt there is anyone on a WC level on a ski that is more than two-three seasons old.

Zirbl

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, he isn't competing is he? ;) Other than speed event skis (SG, DH and Speed) that need aging and up to months of hot boxing and waxing, I doubt there is anyone on a WC level on a ski that is more than two-three seasons old.
I have no reason to doubt what you say. His criticism was that skis weren't as stiff as they used to be. Elsewhere, he's said that companies are making lighter skiers to save money and passing it off as a performance thing. I would have thought they couldn't afford to do that at the competitive level, and that the reason is to cheat the radius in GS, but that was his take on it.
I haven't skied enough race skis to judge, can only say that recent Head FIS slaloms are appreciably lighter (and it seems to me better) than the black one they did about six years ago, and that racecarvers with GS written on them seem a lot flimsier and flappier than they were around ten years ago. A non-FIS Rossi GS9 with just a track binding is a heavier ski with better grip than recent racecarvers I've tried with plates.

Larsf

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am looking for bindings for my wife’s new skis: Rossi experience 82ti w. I was going to get warden11, but see that Salomon has their lighter binding, stage11. She weigh’s 110# and is an intermediate skier. Salomon is marketing the Stage for lighter skiers. This also seems to have more delta with a lower toe piece than the warden. Any suggestions on which would be better?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am looking for bindings for my wife’s new skis: Rossi experience 82ti w. I was going to get warden11, but see that Salomon has their lighter binding, stage11. She weigh’s 110# and is an intermediate skier. Salomon is marketing the Stage for lighter skiers. This also seems to have more delta with a lower toe piece than the warden. Any suggestions on which would be better?
The Stage is a bit lighter and does have 3mm more Delta. Assuming at 110lb she has a short BSL, that 3mm will make a difference. Out of these two, the Warden 11 would be my suggestion.

Larsf

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The Stage is a bit lighter and does have 3mm more Delta. Assuming at 110lb she has a short BSL, that 3mm will make a difference. Out of these two, the Warden 11 would be my suggestion.
Thanks. She wears a 24.5 boot. I wonder why there is so much delta in the Stage. Is there another binding you’d suggest? Like Nx11?

Sponsor

Staff online