• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have now called 3 shops and no one has the jig for mounting the Atomic Strive demo binding. Is this likely because it is new for '23? Is the jig for the demo Strive different than the regular Strive binding?
You got a hold of a strive demo? I have been wanting one!

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Damn...seriously considering it....got a set of attack 13demos for $100... so difficult to go 150 more but I do like the low profile of the Strive. Decisions decisions.

Does anyone know if the attack demo needs afd adjustments per boot like the normal attack? Or does setting it to 5355 or grip walk make it work for all boots of that type?

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does anyone know if the attack demo needs afd adjustments per boot like the normal demo?
It does need manual adjustment. Did you get the Attack Demo or the Attack2 Demo? The former is NOT GW compatible.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
It does need manual adjustment. Did you get the Attack Demo or the Attack2 Demo? The former is NOT GW compatible.
Attack2*

Hmm...the strive looks like it doesn't need the AFD adjusted (I don't use gripwalk) so thats a plus. I can never seem to get the AFD+ business card trick right so not having to adjust it would be nice, especially as the ski I intend to mount it with will be going back and forth between users quite often.

@Philpug are the brakes on the strive interchangeable? If so, changeable without removing the heel piece?

Last edited:

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
The settings were so far off that I did actually think of that - maybe someone out there doesn’t like me.

My wife wasn’t at the top of the list of suspects, but I’m going to sleep with one eye open for a bit, just in case.
Were you able to resolve this with the shop?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:huh: That’s what I said.
As to the heel, the base is >_ 1mm. The rear is maximum 1mm.

Toe and heel vertical clearance are determined by pins and boot. If it’s too little, you have to sand the boot sole down or use a different boot. There’s no vertical adjustment.

The heel fore/aft is adjustable and is 1mm max. That’s in the 1 minute video embedded up there^
View attachment 172289

There are two "spec's" on the heel, one is horizontal clearance and the other is vertical clearance, both are 1mm. Only the vertical ones show in the pic. I did not watch video. I assumed you were talking about the vertical clearance from the pic., I didn't know about the horizontal adjustable one. Just a mis-read.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Attack2*

Hmm...the strive looks like it doesn't need the AFD adjusted (I don't use gripwalk) so thats a plus. I can never seem to get the AFD+ business card trick right so not having to adjust it would be nice, especially as the ski I intend to mount it with will be going back and forth between users quite often.

@Philpug are the brakes on the strive interchangeable? If so, changeable without removing the heel piece?
I have retail 13's and demo 14's here, they are interchangeable. The retail 16 has the same heel as the Warden/Sth, so they are interchangeable. The 13 and 14 brakes are screwed on.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have retail 13's and demo 14's here, they are interchangeable. The retail 16 has the same heel as the Warden/Sth, so they are interchangeable. The 13 and 14 brakes are screwed on.
Good to know! I remember reading the article on the Strive but now catching up on the follow-up posts. Decided to go for the Strive13 demo due to its stack height (from the site ARL67 found).

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Question for pivot users, my wife is interested in the forza 2.0 colors but it only comes in the pivot 14. I know its on the low end of the range (5-14), but do you think 6.5 would be ok with the p14?

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Question for pivot users, my wife is interested in the forza 2.0 colors but it only comes in the pivot 14. I know its on the low end of the range (5-14), but do you think 6.5 would be ok with the p14?
That’s okay, I have a co-worker who did the same thing. As long as you’re not on the very bottom it’s fine. If she likes the colors go for it!

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
looks like it doesn't need the AFD adjusted
Is this correct---if the anti friction device is moveable then an adjustment isn't needed? And if the AFD is fixed, then adjustment is needed? The Strive toe picture looks like many Head/Tyrolia toes with a spring loaded moveable AFD. (Gripwalk may change all this.)
1656887466347.png

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Is this correct---if the anti friction device is moveable then an adjustment isn't needed? And if the AFD is fixed, then adjustment is needed? The Strive toe picture looks like many Head/Tyrolia toes with a spring loaded moveable AFD. (Gripwalk may change all this.)
View attachment 172609
Ahh what my assumption was is that the strive didnt seem to have any to adjust for soles like the warden and tyrolia attack does (not connected to whether afd can move or not)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 172609

Ahh what my assumption was is that the strive didnt seem to have any to adjust for soles like the warden and tyrolia attack does (not connected to whether afd can move or not)
The height of the AFD is static and the wings adjust automatically going from ISO 5233 (DIN) to 23223 (GW)

James

Out There
Instructor
Opinions on Marker’s Inter Pivot 3 heel piece vs the Hollow Linkage heel? For heavier skiers. Is the part that attaches to the ski the same or is the IP3 beefier?

My interest is in the Duke PT versions where the 16 uses the IP3 heel.

I guess these would be Squire for the Hollow Linkage 2 vs Jester for Inter Pivot 3?

FCD4570B-C272-4E22-9D87-286E2DB5E472.jpeg

Squire 12

174C120E-504E-4229-8FD3-034F25FA5AE8.jpeg

Jester 16

Looks like the Inter Pivot 3 has magnesium frame support.
1F029E35-61E6-4F82-8DDC-35C9093E51FE.jpeg

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Strive Demo uses the EasyTrack Template 6588701K
This template has proven to be difficult to find in Truckee...:doh:

Starthaus doesn't have it and Bluezone isn't pick up their phone. The Backcountry supposedly has it (not sure as they just said yes right away? haha)

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This template has proven to be difficult to find in Truckee...:doh:

Starthaus doesn't have it and Bluezone isn't pick up their phone. The Backcountry supposedly has it (not sure as they just said yes right away? haha)
I’ll have a paper template uploaded in a couple weeks. My Strive demos arrived a few days back.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I uploaded a template for Strive Demos. I just eyeballed it, not 2x4 tested yet. I'd appreciate anyone with a jig to let me know how far off I am. Same goes for Tyrolia FreeFlex or any binding for that matter.

DerKommissar

Getting on the lift
Skier
Quick question- will I be ok with a 90 mm width binding (warden 11) on a 84 mm width ski (dynastar m-pro 84)? Bought both over the summer and have not mounted them yet. The din should be fine- I just wonder if the brake will be too wide.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Quick question- will I be ok with a 90 mm width binding (warden 11) on a 84 mm width ski (dynastar m-pro 84)? Bought both over the summer and have not mounted them yet. The din should be fine- I just wonder if the brake will be too wide.
You are fine, the Warden brake gets out of the way nicely.

Sponsor

Staff online