• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They are trying to say my NEW and IMPROVED is better. But inside the mechanics are very similar.
No they are not. They are not saying "this binding is new and improved and is better, they are saying we don't have confidence in that old binding because, well, its old even though it was new and improved back then"

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
Not so much that its a better binding, it is a far better ski. Win/Win.
Hi Phil - sorry to be a pain, but I need to make a quick decision. Without taking $$ into account, which to buy - the 2020 Atomic S9 demo (159cm) or the 2020 Laser SLs (165cm) that were just listed on the garage? I'm 70yrs/6'1"/170lbs. Will use them for Camelback/Blue,etc. Thanks, again!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi Phil - sorry to be a pain, but I need to make a quick decision. Without taking $$ into account, which to buy - the 2020 Atomic S9 demo (159cm) or the 2020 Laser SLs (165cm) that were just listed on the garage? I'm 70yrs/6'1"/170lbs. Will use them for Camelback/Blue,etc. Thanks, again!
159 is too short or you.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I always felt like it was kind of like a warranty period/practical product lifespan
It is an interesting way to look at it. My thoughts are that is good for the skier that gets 30 days a year, but it sucks for the skier that only gets 10 days a year. The guy that only gets 10 days a year goes to get his bindings safety checked at the beginning of the season and is told by the shop that they will not do them because they are no longer on the list. Having a binding that is on the list protects the shop and the manufacturer not nesseraly the customer.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is an interesting way to look at it. My thoughts are that is good for the skier that gets 30 days a year, but it sucks for the skier that only gets 10 days a year.

The guy that only gets 10 days a year goes to get his bindings safety checked at the beginning of the season and is told by the shop that they will not do them because they are no longer on the list.
Most warranties have a time and use limit on them depending what comes first.
Having a binding that is on the list protects the shop and the manufacturer not nesseraly the customer.
I cannot disagree with you there.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Most warranties have a time and use limit on them depending what comes first.

I cannot disagree with you there.
I have seen time limits on warranty but haven't seen use limits on bindings, must be in the very fine print. Just a thought, What if you purchase a new binding in the spring at an end of season sale and the binding is on the list, come the fall a new list comes out and it is no longer on the list. The customer has a new binding that is under warranty but a shop will not work on it. That is not alright in my book, but what do I know.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have seen time limits on warranty but haven't seen use limits on bindings, must be in the very fine print. Just a thought, What if you purchase a new binding in the spring at an end of season sale and the binding is on the list, come the fall a new list comes out and it is no longer on the list. The customer has a new binding that is under warranty but a shop will not work on it. That is not alright in my book, but what do I know.
I didn't say binding had a use limit of time. Most bindings have a 2 year warranty. He was using warranty as an example of use range/age for indemnification as a reasonable life span.

jlikestoski

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I wish I found this forum earlier, but anyway...

Would you recommend the Look Pivot 12 or new Strive binding?

I’m confidently skiing down blues and most blacks, though I have more fun on blues. The majority of my skiing is in Lake Tahoe and will probably do 25 or 30 days this season. I've taken a handful of lessons and have been skiing for two seasons now, this being my third. My hesitation is I prefer lighter gear, but afraid the Strive might be too much binding, you know?

I’m 32, 125lbs, 5”7, with K2 Recon 100, and on Black Crows Captis @ 166cm.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wish I found this forum earlier, but anyway...

Would you recommend the Look Pivot 12 or new Strive binding?

I’m confidently skiing down blues and most blacks, though I have more fun on blues. The majority of my skiing is in Lake Tahoe and will probably do 25 or 30 days this season. I've taken a handful of lessons and have been skiing for two seasons now, this being my third. My hesitation is I prefer lighter gear, but afraid the Strive might be too much binding, you know?

I’m 32, 125lbs, 5”7, with K2 Recon 100, and on Black Crows Captis @ 166cm.
J.. we like to ski too.

Honestly, you aren't going to find too many Look Pivot fans than me, here is my collection...
With that said, if you have to ask if you need a Pivot or why a Pivot?, you don't need a Pivot. Save the $80 and get the Strive, a really great steering binding.

jlikestoski

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
J.. we like to ski too.

Honestly, you aren't going to find too many Look Pivot fans than me, here is my collection...
With that said, if you have to ask if you need a Pivot or why a Pivot?, you don't need a Pivot. Save the $80 and get the Strive, a really great steering binding.

Thanks for the quick reply - and thank you. You've got quite a collection there!

I've watched that overview at least twice now and enjoyed it. I'm leaning towards the Strive, but couldn't Look past the Pivot's reputation without a moment of hesitation, hence the ask here. My other slight concern is I come right at the cusp of the weight range on the website, but not sure if that's dry weight or with gear and such, if that's the case, I'm fine!

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for the quick reply - and thank you. You've got quite a collection there!

I've watched that overview at least twice now and enjoyed it. I'm leaning towards the Strive, but couldn't Look past the Pivot's reputation without hesitation, hence the ask here. My other slight concern is I come right at the cusp of the weight range on the website, but not sure if that's dry weight or with gear and such, if that's the case, I'm fine!
I skied the Strive yesterday, i really like the stance and the stack height.

tx river rat

Booting up
Skier
Brand new to the forum. I just got a new pair of skis - K2 Reckoner 92 twin tips. They have two options for binding placement - midsole, or team. Can someone tell me the difference? These are my first non-rentals, so I've never given much thought to binding placement.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Brand new to the forum. I just got a new pair of skis - K2 Reckoner 92 twin tips. They have two options for binding placement - midsole, or team. Can someone tell me the difference? These are my first non-rentals, so I've never given much thought to binding placement.
How much do you ski switch (backwards) on in the terrain park? If no intention or less than 50% The rearward/traditional mount.

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
Sorry was fat fingered.
Just picked up some Kore 93 and attach 12 bindings. Am getting ready to take them into the local shop for mounting and won't have a clue what to say if they ask me about mounting point. My last skis were atomic that came with mountings so wasn't an issue
thansk

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry was fat fingered.
Just picked up some Kore 93 and attach 12 bindings. Am getting ready to take them into the local shop for mounting and won't have a clue what to say if they ask me about mounting point. My last skis were atomic that came with mountings so wasn't an issue
thansk
If you don't ski switch/backwards, you want the Traditional/Recommended location. The forward mount is for tricksters. Behind the Traditional/Recommended location would be considered a mount for powder specific skis.

In general terms, the farther forward the mount, the turnier or more responsive the ski is to turning movements. Also it is desirable for skiing switch.

The farther back the mount, the less turnier and responsive the ski is to turning movements. It also gives you more area ahead of your boot and makes it easier for it to be floatier in powder.

When in doubt, trad mount.

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
If you don't ski switch/backwards, you want the Traditional/Recommended location. The forward mount is for tricksters. Behind the Traditional/Recommended location would be considered a mount for powder specific skis.

In general terms, the farther forward the mount, the turnier or more responsive the ski is to turning movements. Also it is desirable for skiing switch.

The farther back the mount, the less turnier and responsive the ski is to turning movements. It also gives you more area ahead of your boot and makes it easier for it to be floatier in powder.

When in doubt, trad mount.
Excellent advice, thanks