• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
First of all, why do you want a demo binding? You want to be as low to the deck as possible, the only demo binding that is the same as it's retail counterpart is the Salomon Strive, so if you want a demo binding, go that way otherwise hard mount a regular bindings.
What about in the case of someone, like me, who always feels like I enjoy a ski much more during demoing than when I buy it and slap regular bindings on? I still like the skis, but they never seem to feel the same/as good as the demo I fell in love with. So I have also been considering the idea of buying the same demo binding as when I demo in the future. What are the cons of doing this, and is it a reasonable approach?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
What about in the case of someone, like me, who always feels like I enjoy a ski much more during demoing than when I buy it and slap regular bindings on? I still like the skis, but they never seem to feel the same/as good as the demo I fell in love with. So I have also been considering the idea of buying the same demo binding as when I demo in the future. What are the cons of doing this, and is it a reasonable approach?
The binding could certainly be a part of the issue but you would also want to consider the tune. Tunes on demos can be all over the place as can your purchased ski's tune.

Delta angles are the most significant difference between bindings. Delta will affect your fore aft balance which has a significant impact on how you stand on your skis. Stack height is another factor but is less impactful, in my opinion, than delta. Both can be managed with lifts under the bindings rather than getting demos. Of course getting identical bindings would simplify the solution but identifying the delta and stack height of the demos would facilitate matching the delta and stack height of ANY binding to your new skis.

Personally, I am a tuner after all, I'd be more suspect of the tune than the difference in bindings. but there are plenty of opinions on the affect of stack, delta, tune, ramp, forward lean and so on.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What size Strive for an M6 96mm …90 or 100 Would be appropriate?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would venture to say the 100 since 96 is closed to that but I don't have them in front of me to double check.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Different binding deltas could also be a reason. For some bining delta is a non issue, for some it makes a huge difference.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Strive demo with 100 brake on m6. Tucks nicely
20221119_114446.jpg
20221119_121446.jpg

Last edited:

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So the new STH2 16 has an adjustment for the friction plate that allows you to set it to either progressive or direct. Curious as to what the difference is and what type of skiing/skier is recommended for each.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
So the new STH2 16 has an adjustment for the friction plate that allows you to set it to either progressive or direct. Curious as to what the difference is and what type of skiing/skier is recommended for each.

QUOTE:
Transfer Switch Technology – Choose between two power transfer modes at the flick of a switch. In PROGRESSIVE position, the toe pedal sits on a rubber pad, providing increased dampening to smooth out terrain and snow feedback. In DIRECT position, the toe pedal sits on hard plastic pieces, providing immediate response and the most direct edge engagement.

QUOTE:
Meanwhile, all new Transfer Switch Technology allows you to choose between two different power transfer modes, fine tuning the amount of vibration damping between the toepiece and ski. The result is a binding that enhances your personal skiing style, and makes those booter-to-ice landings a little more patateable.

QUOTE:
Featuring A New Customizable Transfer Switch, Skiers Can Choose Between Two Dampening Settings. Direct Mode Switches Dampening Off For More Direct Energy Transfer And/Or When Using Rubber Sole Boots. Progressive Mode Enhances Dampening For A Smoother Ride And For Rigid Sole Boots

I'm guessing that the "progressive" setting is for rails and jumps and such. Where "direct" is for normal skiing????

Funny how each description quote had a different reason for selection. It's almost as though they have a feature and are shopping for a problem that the feature solves:
  • Enhancing personal skiing style, making booter-to-ice landings softer.
  • Rubber sole boots vs rigid sole boots.
  • Smoothing out terrain and snow feedback.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One of the discussions about all metal bindings in that they can be too direct, I believe this is why there is the two modes. I believe we touched on in the Salomon Strive video. This is nothing new for Salomon, going back to the 1990's with the Driver Plus AFD which created some damping.

Also with the Tyrolia Protector having 7 mm of leteral elasticity, that will create some absorption.

James

Out There
Instructor
One of the discussions about all metal bindings in that they can be too direct, I believe this is why there is the two modes. I believe we touched on in the Salomon Strive video. This is nothing new for Salomon, going back to the 1990's with the Driver Plus AFD which created some damping.

Also with the Tyrolia Protector having 7 mm of leteral elasticity, that will create some absorption.
Are all of the Strives Multi Norm Compatible or just the 16?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It’s Doug.

IIRC
Touché.

Technically it's Richard, though. My middle name is Douglas. As a kid my parents registered me to race as Richard Briggs but never, ever, called me Richard. That would have been a Dick move. I guess they thought R Douglas had panache.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier

I remember this discussion. With the STH2 16 the have a plastic friction plate which was supposed to address some of the issues with the metal being too direct, but now they also have the two settings. Is it fair to say that the direct setting on this binding will not have the the same issue as the all metal bindings given the plastic friction plate? Trying to fine tune my daughters setup on her new skis and also trying to understand this new "feature" lol

Tomok

Booting up
Skier
I mounted some Look SPX 15 Rockerace bindings onto an R-22 plate. Being that there is no adjustment for AFD height, should I be able to slide a business card under the toe of the boot? I can't as it stands now. Fwd pressure indicator indicates correctly.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I mounted some Look SPX 15 Rockerace bindings onto an R-22 plate. Being that there is no adjustment for AFD height, should I be able to slide a business card under the toe of the boot? I can't as it stands now. Fwd pressure indicator indicates correctly.
Does it torque correctly and release within range?