• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
What's unnerving is that pre-release occurs when I am more or less skiing the fall line and not, for example, at the bottom of a turn.
This is the exact thing I’ve experienced. My skis are pretty noodly though and my BSL is 274. Also skiing at a setting of 6. My theory is similar that with the short boot and the bendy ski it’s flexing out.

Double checked the forward pressure and it appears to be in range? I’ll take a photo. Checked the @GregK method last week just for fun, but since it’s a heel release I doubt it’s an AFD setting issue.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have the very same problem with Attack 13s mounted on Stormrider 97s (both new to me in late 2017).

This is my resort powder ski and I've had several pre-releases in deeper Utah powder (top of boot to knee). What's unnerving is that pre-release occurs when I am more or less skiing the fall line and not, for example, at the bottom of a turn.

I am 5'6" 140 pounds and 70+ years old. BSL is 305 and DIN is set just shy of 6.

I checked the forward pressure and it's in the middle of the range for both bindings. I have the same DIN settings on two other skis with different bindings but they never pre-release.

The Stormrider 97 is a fairly flexible ski but certainly not a noodle. I have wondered whether there's just too much flex underfoot when the skis bend in deep powder.

I don't want to increase the DIN setting and wonder if a different binding or one with a plate would solve the problem.
Yeah, some bindings work better than others. Yours should work though, so something’s off. I’ve never had a prerelease with Pivots. One of the sweetest sounds on earth is the click of a binding release when you truly need it.

Juanito

Putting on skis
Skier
This is the exact thing I’ve experienced. My skis are pretty noodly though and my BSL is 274. Also skiing at a setting of 6. My theory is similar that with the short boot and the bendy ski it’s flexing out.

Double checked the forward pressure and it appears to be in range? I’ll take a photo. Checked the @GregK method last week just for fun, but since it’s a heel release I doubt it’s an AFD setting issue.
As another data point, I have Attack 13 demo bindings on a pair of Stormrider 85s (very similar in construction and flex to the Stormrider 97s). They have same DIN setting and never pre-release.

So, does the little "half plate" on the demo binding stiffen the ski underfoot and prevent pre-release?

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Unfortunately, that would do it and why you should never drive with skis unprotected (no roof box) on a roof rack. It’s not just weather but all the salt, grit, and grime from the roads has been blasting your skis & bindings for 3 days.
Ok Gotcha. But why didn't the shop find anything wrong with the binding when they looked at them?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I ski the Attack 13 AT a lot and I ski them hard. I don't have issues with them, in fact I love them. Easy on, easy off and no unexpected releases. I ski them hard although I'm not in the bumps as you mention you are frequently when a release happens.

Besides forward pressure, you want to ensure that your boot sole is free of ice, etc. Do you notice one ski releases more frequently? Is it typically the inside or outside ski?

I'd take them to a shop and have them (re)tested, too. Bring both boots. Have them check the lug height for both toe and heel.

As to your question about bindings that have a strap between the toe and heel: they would seem to be less likely to release as the tension/pressure in the system from flexing and rebounding is reduced due to the extra heel travel afforded by the strap system.

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
Looking for bindings for MX83s I just bought flat. Thinking Attack 14s (85mm) or Salomon Strive 14s (90mm). Any differentiators or recommendations?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looking for bindings for MX83s I just bought flat. Thinking Attack 14s (85mm) or Salomon Strive 14s (90mm). Any differentiators or recommendations?
I like the steering feel of the Salomon but the Attack is also good. FWIW, we put a Protector on our MX83.
IMG_0771.jpeg

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
Thanks Phil - any real concerns with a 90mm brake on the 83s? Sorry if a dumb question, still learning the ropes ;)

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
. I should mention that we had also driven 3 days with them on the roof rack. All the edges on our skis had rust by the time we got to Taos so maybe weather affected the bindings?
This. That’s a lot of exposure to all kinds of things that bind bindings the wrong way. Most of us have thrown skis on the rack uncovered for a quick trip but 3 days of highway driving is just asking for trouble. Road grit, spray and just air pressure can lodge something in there. If you haven’t already, have them serviced and checked. Forgive me if you did have them covered but barring that this is my guess. Regardless, have them checked, too much good snow out there and you don’t want to miss any of it :D

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Fairly sure. No issues with Look NX system bindings, Tyrolia FF17, XCell 12. The boot is a Raptor with a boring DIN sole, unworn. I don’t walk around in ski boots.
If you are bending the ski a lot, then the attack, not being free flex will try to squeeze the boot between toe piece and heel piece, same as having too much forward pressure. This could be the reason some skis (e.g. stiff with FF17) don't release on you, but other's might (bendy ski with attack).

Rich_Ease_3051

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Is there any technical reason why binding companies cannot make a single rail interface for different binding types?

For example, in a hypothetical scenario where Tyrolia didn't make the new Protector bindings backward compatible with current SLR and PR rails, could Tyrolia have made new single rail design that would work with new SLR and PR and touring Protectors and new, future Freeflex bindings?

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is there any technical reason why binding companies cannot make a single rail interface for different binding types?

For example, in a hypothetical scenario where Tyrolia didn't make the new Protector bindings backward compatible with current SLR and PR rails, could Tyrolia have made new single rail design that would work with new SLR and PR and touring Protectors and new, future Freeflex bindings?
It is compatable with previous hole pattern bindings. Actually Tyrolia is one of the best for minimizing hole patterns on rails.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This. That’s a lot of exposure to all kinds of things that bind bindings the wrong way. Most of us have thrown skis on the rack uncovered for a quick trip but 3 days of highway driving is just asking for trouble. Road grit, spray and just air pressure can lodge something in there. If you haven’t already, have them serviced and checked. Forgive me if you did have them covered but barring that this is my guess. Regardless, have them checked, too much good snow out there and you don’t want to miss any of it :D
Turns out it’s a sealed system so no dirt could have gotten in. The bindings checked out fine when I had them tested. @Philpug suggested I purchase the Griffon demos with TCX heels and switch out the parts, so that’s the plan. These are great bindings and I REALLY like them, but if they come off after a fall on anything pitchy, I don’t have the strength to get back into them.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
My first post in this thread: First question about finding the line... center line on my Blossom AM77s. I screwed the settings up by trying to move the binding forward. I can't seem to return them to the original place on the ski. Mostly because I don't know where the line is on the ski.

I have a Viste (412) binding that is nice, I like it. I know how to move the toe and heal to match the boot sole. I know how to set the forward pressure. I do not know how to set the height on the toe using something thinner than a credit card. My DIN is set intentionally at 7 and a bit. My weight is 190, height is 5'10". I am 69 years old and a remarkable skier. It is important to not release unless it is a dire situation. Can't afford head bumps. They cause delusions of grandeur.

I know there is a lot provided - maybe too much. The Blossom 176 has not worked out very well for me. My number one complain is the way the ski hook up in front. I do not de-tune so maybe I need to start doing that.

Appreciate any wisdom you could send my way.

greentrees

Booting up
Skier
Just demoed- & bought ZAG harfang 86 waist (ski similar to Kastle MX88)... now I need to choose bindings. What is the best binding? I was thinking of Look pivot 14 since I have various injuries at this point. But nobody mentions them here.... ? - I Will be skiing them mostly in out west on moguls/trees/choppy stuff. My din's set at 9 right now. Thanks.

Sponsor