• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bindings for Powder Ski? (Icelantic Nomad 115)

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
I am thinking Pivot 15 Raw, but I am open to suggestions (other than Attacks or Griffons, probably).
shopping.jpeg
9-76642_pivot-15-gw-b115-raw_fcja009_01.jpg

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The only issue with a Pivot on a pow ski is that in truly deep snow they can be a hassle to step into.

But for sheer looks, and long term use, ain't nothing better than a raw Pivot 15.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Some people say Pivots are tough to get into in deep snow. Once the heel is set and snow is out of the brake pedestal, I actually find then one of the easiest to get into. They don't need a lot of force and also you can (if you can ;) ) reach down and pull the heel mechanism up.

TS
AlpedHuez

AlpedHuez

Skier
Some people say Pivots are tough to get into in deep snow. Once the heel is set and snow is out of the brake pedestal, I actually find then one of the easiest to get into. They don't need a lot of force and also you can (if you can ;) ) reach down and pull the heel mechanism up.
OK this was my chief question/hesitation with the Pivot on a pow ski. Thank you for clearing that up.

No need to keep drilling. Go have some turkey.
This is tough to come by for a single guy in lockdown London today. The establishments that do an American style T-Day feast are shut or limited-menu takeout only. And turkey has been adopted by Brits as their Christmas Day lunch (dinner).

Last edited:

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have pivots on my powder skis, and while I like them, I do find them a PITA to step into on snow that isn't hard and flat. I actually find that they require a lot of force to stomp into, especially compared to my cheap NX12s, and that means they send to skid away from me or sink down when I'm trying to step into them in 3d snow. (Being able to just pull up the heel mechanism has saved my bacon :) ) Does this just mean I'm not lining the heels up correctly? Or is it just a side effect of stepping into bindings when I don't weigh very much?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have pivots on my powder skis, and while I like them, I do find them a PITA to step into on snow that isn't hard and flat. I actually find that they require a lot of force to stomp into, especially compared to my cheap NX12s, and that means they send to skid away from me or sink down when I'm trying to step into them in 3d snow. (Being able to just pull up the heel mechanism has saved my bacon :) ) Does this just mean I'm not lining the heels up correctly? Or is it just a side effect of stepping into bindings when I don't weigh very much?
It is because you are in New Zealand and you are upside down. ;)

I do think a twin cam heel like the Attack or Sth (and Marker TCX) is easiest to get into in deep snow than an single cam heel but of them, the Pivot takes the least amount of force.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
It is because you are in New Zealand and you are upside down. ;)

I do think a twin cam heel like the Attack or Sth (and Marker TCX) is easiest to get into in deep snow than an single cam heel but of them, the Pivot takes the least amount of force.
Gotcha, that makes sense! And yes, without being able to leave the country this year for any off-season ski trips, I suppose I can spend the next... *checks calendar* ...six-and-a-half months perfecting my pivot step-in technique on carpet. ;)

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
I like Pivots and put them on everything under 100mm, but for truly powder/soft snow I prefer Tyrolia Attack2s or Atomic STHs. Pivots are a pain in the arse get back in on in steep and deep.

Although I suppose that easy answer is don't go down causing them to release!

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Why not the attack? I never tried the pivot so can't compare but I find them easy to get in.
Your pivot family is close to my dream quiver. I just think that the Nomad might be a bit soft/light but this is because I tried my wife's maiden 91 that share the Nomad construction. How is the flex compared to the Rustler? I will be in the market for a soft/ resort powder snow skis at the end of the season and I am torn between a Moment Deathwish and Rustler 11.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I have seen ads from Salomon promoting the STH 2 as easy to click into in steep and deep. I can confirm from personal experience.

TS
AlpedHuez

AlpedHuez

Skier
Nice family. That Rustler look smalll vs the icelantic. What is the next family member ?
1-Oh-Something in 100-108 range 180+ length, maybe with more metal? Contenders: Black Crows Justis, Fischer Ranger 102 FR,107 Ti, Blizzard Cochise, Icelantic Nomad 105 [no metal], Nordica Enforcer 100, 104 Free, Volkl Katana 108 ...

Last edited:
TS
AlpedHuez

AlpedHuez

Skier
Why not the attack? I never tried the pivot so can't compare but I find them easy to get in.
Your pivot family is close to my dream quiver. I just think that the Nomad might be a bit soft/light but this is because I tried my wife's maiden 91 that share the Nomad construction. How is the flex compared to the Rustler? I will be in the market for a soft/ resort powder snow skis at the end of the season and I am torn between a Moment Deathwish and Rustler 11.
Just got it, haven't skied it yet. But it comes highly rated and recommended by many. Will report back!

Reactions: Flo