• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bindings on a slalom ski without a plate

Mpalm18

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
So I came across a really lightly used pair of atomic slalom skis that are without the race plate for whatever reason. Is there any real reason why mounting a binding like atomic z12’s straight to the ski won’t work? Or do those race bindings need to be set up on a plate?

Betaracer

Atomic Race & Tech Rep, BC Region
Skier
Not an issue with deck mounting, but the plate allows for more edge angle before booting out. Now finding a plate if you want to got that way is another issue altogether; not available alone. Sometimes you can find a worn out pair of skis with the plate and bindings usable for cheap.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The plate and proper binding and SL ski are really dialed in for one another. They come relatively inexpensive as a group (from racers), but the separate binding parts do not, very often. A race ski, in whatever condition, w/o its plate and binding, I would not recommend someone get, unless they themselves or someone they know are dealing with race skis all the time and have or are likely to have the right plates and bindings off of other skis lying around and ready to go, either themselves or from those they know. Even a pair of SL skis with just a plate and no bindings is often not a great deal, since the bindings are likely to be a lot more expensive, and harder to come by on their own second hand. Look for the whole package, if possible.

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
If you hunt around shops, for-sale/gear swap forums (like on SkiTalk.com) and Ebay, you can probably find a pair of used or several-seasons-old race skis with plates you can scavenge for less $$ than you may think. Also... put out a "In Search Of (ISO)" request on some forums for some plates and I bet there may be someone willing to take them off some unwanted race skis sitting in a pile in their garage/cellar for dirt cheap.... Also... visit your local goodwill store if they take unwanted skis....sometimes there are excellent race plates on worn-out race skis sitting in the pile of outdated skis.... not that I'm a cheapskate or anything... ;-)

sortaold

Booting up
Skier
as an aside, can anyone lead e to some basic setup info on the Atomic Z12? From what I can tell all the is adjustable is the DIN at both ends.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
The following is said jokingly and in jest : Why not going the "Hirscher way" and mount Marker bindings and piston plate on it? Saw plenty of young racers in Austria doing that during MH prime time (and those were the times when Atomic skis had the "doubledeck" integrated plate...saw it sawed off the skis and replaced with the Marker ensemble)...:).