• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bindings recs, please…

dwlighting

Putting on skis
Skier
Hello SKI TALK - New Salomon QST 98s on the way. Yay!

Looking for some bindings guidance, please. I’ve narrowed it down to:
Salomon or Atomic Strive 14 (same binding, right?)
Tyrolia Attack 14
Possibly Look SPX 12

I was leaning Tyrolia but have read that the release on these has a slightly bad rap for being inconsistent. I like the Salomon from what I read, but are they going to hold up? Is toe construction plastic, not metal? I believe the Attacks are all metal. And my local NYC shop has the SPX 12s. Seem solid enough.

“Lots of people” say all modern bindings are good and don’t dwell, but it seems important, no?

Me - early 50s, 5’6” 170lb, Advanced (Blue/Black) skier. On and off piste.

Thanks!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Salomon or Atomic Strive 14 (same binding, right?)
Tyrolia Attack 14
Possibly Look SPX 12

I've got all three and would be lying if I said I could tell one from the other while skiing.

When stepping into them, the Look does have the most substantial feel (I've got the 14s, if that maters).

The Salomons will match your skis! ;)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Salomon also adds another year or warranty to the ski.

Reactions: BC.
TS
dwlighting

dwlighting

Putting on skis
Skier
Hopefully last question here - I was fully settled on the STRIVE 14s, but realized my current DIN of 6 is only one above the binding's bottom end of 5. I was a 7 until I turned 50.

Should I be concerned about being so close to the bottom end of the range? A tech at my local REI said the release test can result in a DIN deviation of a half point in either direction so I might be at 5.5.

Many thanks.

Sponsor

Staff online