• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bindings

Brent.Nass

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello
I have recently got into backcountry skiing.
I have a set of volkl v werks with dike bindings.
I am wanting to go a lighter binding. Most likely the marker king pins.
is it worth changing and re mounting the ski for these or just use what I have for a 300gram difference per ski?
Will I notice the weight saving?
Thank you

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hello
I have recently got into backcountry skiing.
I have a set of volkl v werks with duke bindings.
I am wanting to go a lighter binding. Most likely the marker king pins.
is it worth changing and re mounting the ski for these or just use what I have for a 300gram difference per ski?
Will I notice the weight saving?
Thank you
You will be accomplishing two things, the lighter binding and lower stack height, both are great advantages for the backcountry. So, yes, definately worth it.

TS
B

Brent.Nass

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
You will be accomplishing two things, the lighter binding and lower stack height, both are great advantages for the backcountry. So, yes, definately worth it.
Thank you
Do you know if the hole pattern is very different? Would it be an easy change or should I just bite the bullet and get a new ski as well

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you
Do you know if the hole pattern is very different? Would it be an easy change or should I just bite the bullet and get a new ski as well
Of the top of my head I have no idea. Might as well get a new ski too just to be safe, you have our permission.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Brent.Nass , whichever bindings are in there now (since I have never heard of a binding called ’dike’ I assume it’s a typo)?

What boots are you using? Are you considering new boots in the not to distant future? If so, might they have a much different BSL (due to switching to non norm soled boots)?

What Release Value do you want to run?

What are your skiing preferences? What is important to you and where you do want to compromise?

All those things matter when choosing a binding.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is a table with hole patterns for (almost) all tech bindings:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Brent.Nass , whichever bindings are in there now (since I have never heard of a binding called ’dike’ I assume it’s a typo)?
I took it as being the Marker Duke.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I took it as being the Marker Duke.
That seemed likely spelling wise, but the math doesn’t add up. @Brent.Nass said the mystery ‘dike’ bindings, weighed 300 grams more per foot than the Kingpin. That means the “dike” weighs 1037g/foot. Duke Pt 12 is 1219/foot. And the 16 is even heavier.

Sponsor

Staff online