• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Black Crow Captis Birdie vs Volkl Blaze 86W

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m looking to replace my 2017 Armada Victa ti. They are fine skis, but I want something softer, shorter and more playful. I’m looking for a ski I can manage more easily in trees, tight spaces, etc.

I have the BC Camox Birdie (bought last year after demoing for a week in Utah), and enjoy the feel of these skis. I like that they don’t have metal. Because I enjoy those, I thought I might also enjoy the Captis. But they are pricier.

The Volkl Blaze 86W has caught my attention as a softer, more playful Volkl. People on this forum seem to like it for trees, tight spaces, moguls, etc.
Has anyone on here skied both, or does anyone have thoughts on my selection?

I ski mostly Palisades/Alpine Meadows, with annual trips to Utah (lately).

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For PT/AM, it's a definite no for the Blaze. Not enough suspension for the type of snow you guys get there.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
I have the Blaze 86W - I ski in New England and also took it to Taos; it performed admirably on everything. I have only been to PT/AM once and skied the Stockli Stormrider Motion 85 and the Santa Ana 93 that trip. The Blaze 86W would have done equally as well.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For PT/AM, it's a definite no for the Blaze. Not enough suspension for the type of snow you guys get there.
By that, do you mean it’s too light and will get bounced around?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
By that, do you mean it’s too light and will get bounced around?

It's an almost zero camber ski plus a very light construction. Great on soft snow. OK on hard pack. Terrible on packed out high moisture content snow.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it possible for a ski to have good suspension but also be softer? What would make it so? I’d love to get a ski while they’re on sale.

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
@luliski are you comparing the Victa ti @82 vs the Captis and Camox in similar lengths ? if so have skied all 3 skis ….

Im assuming you have the newer version of the Camox and are looking at the newer Captis?

Last edited:
TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@luliski are you comparing the Victa ti @82 vs the Captis and Camox in similar lengths ? if so have skied all 3 skis ….

Im assuming you have the newer version of the Camox and are looking at the newer Captis?
Sort of? I actually want to go slightly shorter. I have the Victa 87 ti in 171 cm. My Camox (Birdie) is the 2022 In 168. I like them in bumps, Tahoe spring snow, Utah chopped powder. Did not like them so much in Tahoe powder/chopped powder and had to switch to my Sheeva 10. I’m looking for a narrower ski that I can ski off-piste in trees, bumps, tight spaces, mostly in Tahoe. Wondering if Captis is too soft or won’t handle Sierra crud. Thanks!

Sponsor

Staff online