• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Black Crows?

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
I just saw that Black Crows will be doing a demo next Friday & Saturday(2/26&2/27) at Grand Targhee. I can't make it down there, but maybe some others can.

If I didn't have my AIARE 1 class this weekend, I would be very tempted to book a last minute trip out west. We have never been to Grand Targhee and desperately want to go. To get to ski there, and demo Black Crows at the same time? That would make me so very happy :ogbiggrin: We don't go to restaurants, or use the lodge at the mountain, but we would brave the airport for that!

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
enforcer 88 and camox are not very alike.

The justis is sooo slept on.

I want to try the Justis as my new ‘charger’ ski. Looking for something that can bash through crud at 50+mph. Hoping its a slightly more playful version of the 102 mantra but still can go flat out.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I want to try the Justis as my new ‘charger’ ski. Looking for something that can bash through crud at 50+mph. Hoping its a slightly more playful version of the 102 mantra but still can go flat out.
Its 102Fr meets M102 ish I rather like it, of course get gold pivots.

VictorP

Booting up
Skier
I skied the Atris two days in ~6-12in of powder at Steamboat. My take:
  1. I couldn't get used to their short shovels.... I am used to skiing Stocklis (AX and SR95) and I like to keep a v aggressive stance; with the Atris I had to ski it more centered, couldn't drive the shovels of the skis as much
  2. They are very good in pure powder, but sucks on deep chop. They get very easily deflected compared to heavier skis (e.g., Cochise, Enforcer 104/110, Mantras) and that was very tiring
  3. They have very deep rocker lines; so ask yourself if that's something you like before you buy them

In the end, I bought Enforcers 104 and 110 and like them a LOT better. To me they are better than the Atris in every single aspect, except for the 2-3 untracked pow runs in the beginning of the day

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't disagree with your conclusion..I own the Atris AND the 104 Enforcer Free and Folsom Custom that is 108 underfoot. If you are in blower UT pow they are such a blast, however, if the untracked becomes heavy crud (not a problem if it started as blower POW) then they will become a chore and you will miss the metal that you have in the Enforcers. The Atris are a better ride in the beginning but the Enforcers are a better ride for the duration of the day. I think they are a bit of an acquired taste and they would never be my only wide-isn ski since they do some things really well but aren't the most well rounded ski out there..

rooneykean

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Sounds a lot like there are family traits at work here.
I ski the Captis (now discontinued, I think), 90 underfoot, as my east coast, soft-snow ski. It is soft-flexing, easy to pivot, light. I would not want them as my only ski for "typical" east coast (hardpack) conditions, but when it snows and it's ungroomed, or in the trees, they are the ticket. They are a lot easier to deal with in those conditions than my usual MX78's.
Captis is still there.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied the Captis for a season. It was a super fun, easy ski. GREAT in trees, as somebody else said. It was poppy yet very smooth and really decent on groomers. I did notice that in crud it got deflected a bit, but its playfulness made it very fun, My complaint was the forward mount made for a very long tail that I constantly kept catching on features or bumps. I just never could get used to it and didn’t want to remount further back for risk of ruining the fun factor. So I sold them and I still see the guy I sold them to skiing them. I now ski a Ripstick 88 in a similar length and it seems to suit both a more aggressive stance yet, if I relax and become more centered the skis are compliant and the tails don’t catch. Same poppy fun factor as the Captis.

Sponsor