• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Black Diamond Gloves - Guide vs Crew? Guide too warm? Smaller fitting?

Rebound Hound

Booting up
Skier
I think I want some black diamond gloves. I saw the Guide has a temp rating of -30 to -12 degrees but the Crew has a -20 to -4 degrees Celsius rating. I do like the idea of a removable liner on the Guide but the temperature range of the Crew seems much more appropriate assuming it's accurate.

Like many gloves if I can manage to somehow squeeze my hand into (when dry) them they then fit pretty well on the fingers. I've heard due to the vast amount of insulation the Guide might be smaller fitting - It's kind of a struggle already for me to squeeze into an S vs an M glove but the M are too long in the fingers for me so I always go smaller. Gloves sometimes pack out anyway. Most people in the shops say you should have an extra cm at the end of each finger but I'm not a fan of that. Any thoughts?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I have a LOT of different gloves, as I ski in a lot of different places, climates, temp ranges, humidity.....the works.

The warmest setup that I have, by far is the BD Guide "Finger Glove". It's not as dextrous as most of what I use, even though I have treated it, and it's well broken in. I tend to wear them when it is damn cold.....like below 15 degreesF....and I most often use them with silk liners, or wool liners {or both}.

I did not buy these as tight as I normally do, as I had been tipped off that they only weak point is that they are not as dextrous as the rest of what I ski. So, I bought big and normally for "work".

They are just dextrous enough....and when it's 20 below and gusting to well over 30mph, the warmth is #1 on my list.

I would not personally be concerned if they are a touch long.

In the real cold, with my liners....they blow away anything that I own from Hestia, Reusch, and others. But then again, holding a pole is not a priority when wearing them....which is pretty unusual.

Two "thumbs up," for my use.

Last edited:

Chuck danache

On the road
Skier
I think I want some black diamond gloves. I saw the Guide has a temp rating of -30 to -12 degrees but the Crew has a -20 to -4 degrees Celsius rating. I do like the idea of a removable liner on the Guide but the temperature range of the Crew seems much more appropriate assuming it's accurate.

Like many gloves if I can manage to somehow squeeze my hand into (when dry) them they then fit pretty well on the fingers. I've heard due to the vast amount of insulation the Guide might be smaller fitting - It's kind of a struggle already for me to squeeze into an S vs an M glove but the M are too long in the fingers for me so I always go smaller. Gloves sometimes pack out anyway. Most people in the shops say you should have an extra cm at the end of each finger but I'm not a fan of that. Any thoughts?
If buying Guides, size up.

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
I can’t help you with sizing, but I suggest if your concern is warmth get a mitten. lobster gloves are better but I find the BD guides weak in the fingers. Tested in negative F temps with negative 30 windchill. Highly suggest free the powder mittens and liners.

TS
Rebound Hound

Rebound Hound

Booting up
Skier
If I buy the medium I think the guides will be about 15mm too long in the fingers unless there is extra insulation in the finger tips? Do the gloves pack out quickly anyway? I really only tend to be in -20 degree Celsius (-4 F) at worst and mostly around -10 to -15 (-5 to 14 F) until it drops to 0 to -5 in the spring (23 - 32 F). Might I get too warm and sweaty in the guide? I'm used to wearing a glove like the Hestra Fall line with minimal insulation so perhaps the Crew will be plenty warm enough and fit me better? Has anyone compared the Guide or Crew to the Hestra fall line?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a set of the Guides in XXL. They run very small, and were no warmer than my Arcteryx Fission SV gloves. They were, however, very bulky and clunky feeling.

Back to the drawing board!

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I had the Guide lobster; the boiled wool lining was a constant source of painful & bloody hangnails. Gave them away.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just got the Guide Trigger Mitts. Size L. I would say they run a tiny bit tighter than most L, but not a full size. I always get L, except Hestra, where I can get 9’s.
Fingers are long for me too.

No boiled wool lining either. Some fuzzy material that might be wool.

CO Freeskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
I got a set of the Guides in XXL. They run very small, and were no warmer than my Arcteryx Fission SV gloves. They were, however, very bulky and clunky feeling.

Have an older pair of BD Guides...retired them because after they packed out a bit they were ice cold. On top of that the leather was so stiff...switched to Hestra and couldn't be happier, warm, leather is as pliable as it gets and better fit.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I have a pair of the Lobster claw mitts, as I had mentioned. bought I'd add this.

ONLY use them on the coldest of days, and when working a race. Bought big, and I wear at least a silk liner, sometimes two layers {silk and light wool}. They have been conditioned with SnoSeal a TON, and the dexterity still sucks. I struggle to hold a ski pole with them, and just would not free ski with them. But with my liner setup...they certainly are "warm enough." They would be iceboxes otherwise. And I can trash them, and beat on them. Kind of like a bulky version of KInco's. I don't baby them.

Yeah, I own a bunch of Hestra's, and Reusch as well as Flylow. Many different models. Many no longer sold. The things last. As do the liners.

My wife is ALL HESTRA. Our two adult kids are still comped by them, 10 years after their NCCA days ended. No question, these are no Hestra's. But for me, they work.

BTW, I got them at about 30% of the MRSP. That is part of the equation for me. Buy cheap. Use liners. Use SnoSeal, and buy big {though they will pack out}.

There are worse products out there, IMO. But as a primary ski glove? Nope.

Chuck danache

On the road
Skier

I have OR Alti Mitts and the BD Guide gloves, both with sub zero ratings. For me, when the temps are below 15 and it is windy, my fingers still get cold. Don’t be too concerned with the sub zero rating. I love both sets, removable liners allow for complete drying each night. Definitely size up on the Guides, they do run small.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have an older pair of BD Guides...retired them because after they packed out a bit they were ice cold. On top of that the leather was so stiff...switched to Hestra and couldn't be happier, warm, leather is as pliable as it gets and better fit.

Could I ask which model Hestra?

CO Freeskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Use the lobster claw version...Seth Morrison pro model. That said I’ve probably never had them or the BD Guides out below zero.

James

Out There
Instructor
Uuggh, sound disappointing.
If I’m reading right, they’re small, not dextrous at all, wool liner is not a plus. The warmth is a question. Not seeing much point.
They run very small, and were no warmer than my Arcteryx Fission SV gloves.
Really? What are your hand measurements for using the xxl.
My circumference is about 9in, length 7 3/4. Hestra says I should be a 9 but I’m a 10. I could even use an 11. In FTP I use a Large.

The Fissions look like “normal” warmth gloves. Like 20-25 degrees. Maybe with thin liners and some pain you go to 15? That about right?
I have the BD Patrol glove. I use it as a basic glove. Not a warm glove at all. It’s pretty light. If it’s cold, I’ll use my old FTP glove. That’s kind of in the 15deg zone with accessories. I’ve used them in -10, but you need hand warmers or a lodge nearby.

You ever use a mitt shell with the Fission SV’s? I’m thinking of getting a Fission SV.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Uuggh, sound disappointing.
If I’m reading right, they’re small, not dextrous at all, wool liner is not a plus. The warmth is a question. Not seeing much point.

SPOT ON.

Really? What are your hand measurements for using the xxl.
My circumference is about 9in, length 7 3/4. Hestra says I should be a 9 but I’m a 10. I could even use an 11. In FTP I use a Large.

NOT SURE, BUT I HAVE A "WONKY" FINGER ON THE LEFT, SO AM VERY SENSITIVE TO OVERLY SMALL GLOVES.

I NEED TO BE FAIR, AND ACTUALLY BREAK IN THE FTP GLOVES BEFORE TARRING AND FEATHERING THEM -- BRING ON THE SEASON!

The Fissions look like “normal” warmth gloves. Like 20-25 degrees. Maybe with thin liners and some pain you go to 15? That about right?
I have the BD Patrol glove. I use it as a basic glove. Not a warm glove at all. It’s pretty light. If it’s cold, I’ll use my old FTP glove. That’s kind of in the 15deg zone with accessories. I’ve used them in -10, but you need hand warmers or a lodge nearby.

SPOT ON, AGAIN. 15 IS ABOUT THEIR COMFORT LIMIT, BUT I STRETCH THAT A BIT BECAUSE ONCE I STARTED SKIING WITH THESE, I WAS SPOILED FOR LIFE. SO COMFY, SO DEXTEROUS......

You ever use a mitt shell with the Fission SV’s? I’m thinking of getting a Fission SV.

A WORTHY IDEA THAT I HADN'T CONSIDERED. GOT A LINK TO YOUR "BEST" MITT SHELL. NO EXPERIENCE THERE AT ALL.

TRYING SO HARD TO AVOID ELECTRIC GLOVES.

James

Out There
Instructor
A WORTHY IDEA THAT I HADN'T CONSIDERED. GOT A LINK TO YOUR "BEST" MITT SHELL. NO EXPERIENCE THERE AT ALL.

TRYING SO HARD TO AVOID ELECTRIC GLOVES.<

J
ust starting to look.

You could always get a mitt system that has a shell. Though if just wanting to use it with the Fission gloves, you’d be better off getting a smaller shell with not so much space. That’s probably the best way to go to preserve your dexterity. I’m a little dubious of double goretex breathability, but you’d have to see.

Years ago I did a winter wilderness course in Wyo. I don’t remember what we used for gloves, basically rag wool. And wool mittens. Then you had a nylon shell. It greatly increases the range. For very cold you had a puffy synthetic mitt to use, then you could use those with the shell too for some water resistance when shoveling. Key to that system is a base liner glove.

Until you had a dry, sunny day, you’d “dry” gloves/mitts/socks, by sleeping with them next to your body and switching out.

Reviews on the Fissions are just ridiculous. There’s the warmth issue. Some people seem to think a Fission should be good for use on Mt Everest because it costs $200. (Actually, you can use bare hands on the way up often as temps can approach 100F from sun reflection.)
But even Outdoorgear lab called it very warm. Come on. Maybe for skinning.

But putting that aside, comments on basic quality range from amazing to poor. Leather splits, fingers tips wear out, bla blah.

Some shells or overmitts:
Hestra-

Black Diamond-
Might match the Fission the best. It does lack a wrist cinch, it has stretch instead. I’d probably just go here and find the right size.

OR-
-Mt Baker Goretex Modular Mitts
-Meteor Mitts
- Revel seems to be the only shell.

-You could get the OR Alti Goretex Mitts. The shell is insulated. The whole system will get you to the South Pole. The shell with the Fission might still be unwieldy. They are large.

These made in Canada-

These from New Hampshire-
I’m a little surprised Arctyrex hasn’t come out with a system. Even though it would be $400. It would be cool to have a very dextrous glove like the Fission or Sabre inside an insulated shell that’s not too bulky.

Oh, and there’s a newcomer in the glove dept, from Vermont.

Last edited:

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier

Wondering what makes a glove, a ski glove? I use the BD Soloist for skiing and have been pretty happy with it. I have not tried the Guide but just looking at weight and materials, it does seem to add significant bulk without adding much warmth over the Soloist. Sometimes gloves do need to break in a little and, if on the snug side, may feel colder until they do. But you may be approaching the limit for gloves, and need to shift towards mitts.

Sponsor

Staff online