• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blizzard Bonafides...still BAD to the BONE!

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Over the last decade my preferred ski brands have been Blizzard, Nordica and Black Crowes. That said, I haven't owned a pair of Blizzards since I got ride of Bonafides 3 or 4 years ago and switched over to Enforcers (100 and 104 Free). I hadn't been on the new Bonafide until late last week when I was a finishing a low-snow week in Jackson. I skied my Enforcer 104's all week as the Jackson's Hole's longest dry spell without significant snow took hold (bad timing there) but its such a great mtn that you can find some spots here and there that are fun. Its so amazing with soft snow, that its a big contrast when you have lots of ungroomed runs that are pretty firm when there isn't any fresh.

Anyhow, the last day I decided to get on something a big narrower to push around a bit less ski and carve into tighter turns. Jackson's demo fleet is decidedly biased toward big skis (no surprise) so the options for me were limited, but the shop recommended the new Bonafide's in a 183 length (my Enforcers are 186) so this would give a slightly narrower and shorter ski while maintaining great all mtn capability.

For those of you who ski Jackson you know its a steep mtn and there are some places--particularly on groomers--where you can really let the skis run and enjoy the ride. Conditions were hard packed groomers in the morning with some softening in the afternoon....but not a ton. We had spring conditions earlier in the week but not on this day. That said...these skis are so much fun. They absolutely want to go fast and they will reward active input and confident skiing. They, obviously, felt a bit more agile and responsive than my Enforcer 104's (I expected that) but I can also say they just felt like they had no speed limit that I could approach (safely of course). My skiing has gotten stronger over the years so I think I can appreciate them even more than I did a few years ago. I was skiing with some solid skiers but I constantly got to the bottom and looked back and they were WAY behind me....not b/c I had the intent go fast...they seemed like they had a mind of their own to just keep ripping to the bottom of the run. Incredibly stable ski at speed....including slick spots and chunks of refrozen crud. Tons of energy from turn to turn and so damn fun in conditions that really were. not that great. That's what was the eye opener. They were more fun on those conditions than my Enforcers which are almost always fun as well. I don't demo enough skis these days to give you the blow by blow of all the differences AND I didn't get to experience them in any other conditions than the firm ones of that day....but they are just a great ski for a more advanced skier who can stay on top of them and ski them offensively as opposed to defensively. Sitting back is not a good idea on these. I will also say that with 2 sheets of metal...these aren't a great bump ski.

I'm in the market for 90ish ski for low-snow periods. I've been thinking about the Rustler 9 b/c of its reputation as playful fun and good in the bumps when not skiing POW. I don't think the Bonafide's are different enough than my Enforcers to justify buying them but I have to tell you they are a damn fun ski for ripping groomers on and they have always been solid off-piste in mixed conditions. I'm so glad I got to try the newer version of this ski and I highly recommended them for someone looking for a super versatile all -mtn West ski with a bias toward firmer conditions...you will NOT be disappointed.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If the Bones are too close to your Enforcers, but you like the feel of them, why not keep it in the family and grab a pair of 88-waisted Brahmas?

FWIW, I find my Enforcer 88s a great compliment to my Enforcer 100s (no big surprise there, I guess).

DB Cooper

Putting on skis
Skier
If the Bones are too close to your Enforcers, but you like the feel of them, why not keep it in the family and grab a pair of 88-waisted Brahmas?

FWIW, I find my Enforcer 88s a great compliment to my Enforcer 100s (no big surprise there, I guess).
I love my enforcer 88s for the exact conditions described. They are my daily driver for low snow times here in Utah. They absolutely rip on groomers and can make any turn shape. I also find them highly capable in a couple inches of snow as well.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Enforcer 88s are soft skis with a low speed limit, but good for lower speed fun/woods, or for very light riders.

Sorry, but that just couldn't be further from the truth.

Soft-ish, for sure -- one of my favorite things -- but nicely damped. No problem at all at higher speeds.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Soft-ish, for sure -- one of my favorite things -- but nicely damped. No problem at all at higher speeds.
I sold mine since they didnt like when I gave them edge angle and some speed, they would just fold shovels if I drove them, and if I skied them more centerd stance mid would give in, and tails with shovels, which was even worse, I was even "skinny" last season on them at 220lbs + gear. They were happier at 40-45 than 50-55 for sure, 60? forget it. I had longest length of 2020, I've heard someone say the shorter versions were stiffer than longer though.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I still don't quite get it when someone says an 88 is a narrow ski.
There are some fantastic skis in the mid 70's class like the Volkl Deacon that are what anyone with a real need for speed should try.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I still don't quite get it when someone says an 88 is a narrow ski.
There are some fantastic skis in the mid 70's class like the Völkl Deacon that are what anyone with a real need for speed should try.
new 72 deacon master looks tempting

TS
locknload

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I have always kind of kept my eye on the Brahmas. I'm certain they carve and rip groomers well..how are they in bumps? Manageable or fun? Thanks for the suggestion.

TS
locknload

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

How do you like the Enforcer 88s in bumps? I really want a ski that is going to be a fun and nimble ski in bumps relative to its size. I understand there is inherently a tradeoff between stiffness and playful/agile for bump skiing so I am trying to seek out that sweet spot of performance compromise here.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember when the Volant Chubb at 88 was a wide ski.

And the Apache Outlaw, also at 88. I once left them home on a trip to Big Sky. Just took the Recons.

But, I'm dating myself. ogsmile

I have always kind of kept my eye on the Brahmas. I'm certain they carve and rip groomers well..how are they in bumps? Manageable or fun? Thanks for the suggestion.

I love them in the bumps. More early rise than I thought I'd like, honestly, but that part of the design shines in the bumps, not to mention not too much side cut, not too stiff up front, flat-ish, but rounded tail that doesn't get hung up......but yeah, they do have a speed limit. But IMO they're good to at least 50. Key element to stability at speed on groomers is being to put them up HIGH on edge, then that tip is fully engaged, and not flapping. Also, mount at minus 1.

I never thought I'd like the "new" enforcers as much as the old school versions. I was wrong. It's almost like Nordica knows more about designing skis than I do. :huh:

TS
locknload

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And the Apache Outlaw, also at 88. I once left them home on a trip to Big Sky. Just took the Recons.

But, I'm dating myself. ogsmile

I love them in the bumps. More early rise than I thought I'd like, honestly, but that part of the design shines in the bumps, not to mention not too much side cut, not too stiff up front, flat-ish, but rounded tail that doesn't get hung up......but yeah, they do have a speed limit. But IMO they're good to at least 50. Key element to stability at speed on groomers is being to put them up HIGH on edge, then that tip is fully engaged, and not flapping. Also, mount at minus 1.

I never thought I'd like the "new" enforcers as much as the old school versions. I was wrong. It's almost like Nordica knows more about designing skis than I do. :huh:
Ha!! Agree with you on the new Enforcers..they are special in so many conditions. I think their product design team has just been killing it the last few years. That leads me to the obvious question...you chose the Brahmas over a narrower Enforcer model for your low-snow ski. I can't ever argue with someone choosing a Blizzard ski right now...just curious as to how the Enforcer 93 for instance stacked up in your mind vs the Brahma. Definitely going to give the Brahma some serious consideration.

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
My opinion is that the Brahma is quite good in the bumps. It feels more like a narrow freeride ski than it does a wide carver.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ha!! Agree with you on the new Enforcers..they are special in so many conditions. I think their product design team has just been killing it the last few years. That leads me to the obvious question...you chose the Brahmas over a narrower Enforcer model for your low-snow ski. I can't ever argue with someone choosing a Blizzard ski right now...just curious as to how the Enforcer 93 for instance stacked up in your mind vs the Brahma. Definitely going to give the Brahma some serious consideration.

Sorry, I was unclear. I have, and love, the Enforcer 100 and 88. I thought you might like the Brahma, given how much you loved the Bones.

And the Enforcer 88 isn't really my "low-snow" ski. I've got an embarrassing number of different carving skis for truly hard days. The crazy thing is that the Enforcer 88 is better than many of them at high speeds.....go figure!

TS
locknload

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry, I was unclear. I have, and love, the Enforcer 100 and 88. I thought you might like the Brahma, given how much you loved the Bones.

And the Enforcer 88 isn't really my "low-snow" ski. I've got an embarrassing number of different carving skis for truly hard days. The crazy thing is that the Enforcer 88 is better than many of them at high speeds.....go figure!
Don't all of us have an embarrassing number of skis on this board? The fact that I'm even in the market is embarrassing enough...but on this Board...there is no shame amongst addicts. lol. I'm kind of torn between the Brahma and Enforcer 88. I like a solid, predictable ski but it has to have SOME playfulness and if there is a tempting bump line..I'm gonna ski it. These days, 88mm is likely going to be my narrowest ski...so it will be my low/no snow ski day and I'll definitely ride bumps on whatever ski that is..

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't all of us have an embarrassing number of skis on this board? The fact that I'm even in the market is embarrassing enough...but on this Board...there is no shame amongst addicts. lol. I'm kind of torn between the Brahma and Enforcer 88. I like a solid, predictable ski but it has to have SOME playfulness and if there is a tempting bump line..I'm gonna ski it. These days, 88mm is likely going to be my narrowest ski...so it will be my low/no snow ski day and I'll definitely ride bumps on whatever ski that is..

Both the Enforcer 88 and Brahma cover the same general turf, but I've read (maybe on Blister) that if your emphasis is off-piste, go Enforcer. If it's on-piste, go Brahma.

Once you decide, let us know. We stand ready to help you in purchasing the next narrower ski for your quiver.

Really, we're here to help! :ogbiggrin: