• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blizzard Brahma Next Step Down - 85-90mm?

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
Consensus seems to be that the Blizzard Brahma is the reference ski for it's waist width at 88 (maybe even Head Monster 88...or _____). What would be the next ski down from the Blizzard Brahma if you are looking for something less stiff and a little more forgiving...i.e. the easier ski less than 90mm without sacrificing too much? Flex, weight, length?

Blister Review stated in one of their articles, "While many advanced and expert skiers love the Brahma, we think it could also be a good option for heavier beginner skis. It’s surprisingly easy to slide around at lower speeds, and does better than most similarly narrow skis in rough, unsmooth snow."

Let's assume this is the 6'-2"+ 200lb plus group. What are the other skis to throw into the mix and sizing?

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
I am no expert by any means, but I have been shopping 88-96mm skis for the last several weeks and almost to a "T" each shop and online expert I've talked with have included the Rossignol Experience 88 Ti in the same breath with the Brahma, saying that the Rossi is just a bit more forgiving than the Blizzard.

The Exp 88 Ti is high on my list right now, along with the Brahma, Nordica Enforcer 93/94 and Liberty Evolv90.

TS
U

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
Any specifications on the K2 Mindbender 90 Ti? Why don’t manufacturers list all the specs. ‍♂️

Would you size the Mindbener at 177 or 184?

TS
U

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
What size Evolv 90 if previously trying out a Brahma 180? Same length at 180 or 186 given the softer tips?

TS
U

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
There seems to be a strong consensus forming with the Evolv 90. This seems like one to put on the shortlist as well as the 179cm length maybe being preferred for groomer and family time.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Evolve 90, MB 90, Stormrider 88..

TS
U

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
Everyone, including Liberty, tells me to ski it at 186.

i called and talked with one of the guys this afternoon...he said either and gave me the impression the 179cm would be plenty, but you/I could ski either?

TS
U

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
Everyone, including Liberty, tells me to ski it at 186.

Found this on another thread....https://www.pugski.com/threads/philpugs-2020-reviews-90-99mm-skis.15446/post-427084.

Depending on desire...seems like both the 179 or 186 would work.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have the Bonafide and love it so when I was looking for a smaller ski to compliment it I looked at the Brahma 88 first. I really liked it - it it had a bit too much overlap with my Bonafide. So I then demo’d the Brahma 82. Boom. Perfect. Quick, stable, precise, versatile - tons of fun. I am Really enjoying them right now.

TS
U

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
Have you skied the Brahma in 180? Given your size, it may not be out of your realm at all.

I have...it’s not a bad fit, but for example I just spent 3 days on the DPS Cassiar Foundation 94 in 185. They were extremely easy to initiate turns and very forgiving when getting backseat. Really liked these skis a lot for were I am at. So, now the question is: Is there anything with the accessibility and forgiveness of the DPS CF94, but with a little more dampness/stability like the Brahma?

EmperorMA

Putting on skis
Skier
I have...it’s not a bad fit, but for example I just spent 3 days on the DPS Cassiar Foundation 94 in 185. They were extremely easy to initiate turns and very forgiving when getting backseat. Really liked these skis a lot for were I am at. So, now the question is: Is there anything with the accessibility and forgiveness of the DPS CF94, but with a little more dampness/stability like the Brahma?
This is EXACTLY what I’m looking for, as well.

Sponsor

Staff online