• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blizzard Firebird HRC for NASTAR or another ski?

Hootbmx

Booting up
Skier
I'm 54 and thinking of getting into NASTAR racing. I live in Utah and am an advanced skier. When I was 18 and lived in Michigan, I raced NASTAR for a couple seasons and had a blast. My question is ski choice. I'm leaning on some barley used Blizzard Firebird HRC skis. I like how it has a versatile turn shape and radius. Would this be a good choice? I am also considering the Fischer RC4 WC CT but think I would prefer the 76mm width of the Firebird HRC.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I would go narrower if your focus for these is Nastar. At 76mm it is going to be noticeably slower edge to edge than a 66-68 waist GS cheater. And with nastar often being set at 16-18m you want to be as quick to the new ski as possible if you want to be fast. Several of my masters athletes who were using the various Masters GS skis (which range from 68-74 waist normally) switched back to a 66 waist GS ski because it was noticeably quicker into the new turn

Last edited:

JTurner

Always tryin' to get better
Skier
Hoot, generally for racing what Scots said is gold. Kind of depends on how serious you are and how fast you want to get, and if you want a ski you can be on before and after racing or if you plan to have a race only ski. As a bluebird day front side carver that will also do well on most public Nastar courses I've seen, those would probably be a hoot, pun intended :)

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
If you want a Blizzard for Nastar, something like the WRF would be better than the HRC, as would skis like the Head Rebel i.Speed, Nordica Doberman GSR, Stockli Laser GS, Rossi Hero Master, Dynaster Speed Course Master GS, etc....

Sponsor

Staff online