• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blizzard Rustler 11 vs M-Free 108 vs Kastle ZX108 as my third ski for powder/soft days

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Excuse me, I'm an intermediate
Skier
Deals on all 22 skis starting now if not already, so a very low risk gamble at 30-40% off.
The light DPS 112 is a surfy, easy to turn ski at slow speeds in untracked snow but falls apart in tracked snow, variable snow and not as fun in bumps or on groomers vs the Enforcer 110. Just saved you more money! Haha

The MFree 108 has similar flex to the Enforcer 110 in the tip/tail but the E110 much softer and forgiving underfoot. The MFree 108 in 182cm is more surfy because of even deeper rocker lines and increased taper with the 192cm version being more “serious”. The 185cm Enforcer 110 is a happy medium between being surfy and easy on soft snow but still giving decent grip on groomers.
If you'll indulge a comparative newb on ski terminology... What does "forgiving underfoot" mean? What does stiffness and/or forgiveness underfoot (relative to say either of the skis I own) translate into when I make a mistake skiing (I am often backseat on steeper stuff)? Given that these will only come out on a soft snow day, are you suggesting that the MFree 182 (I can't imagine skiing anything in 192) will have poorer grip on groomers (not that there will be tons of skiing groomers on these, but getting down at the end of day at Fernie on shitty skied out connectors is a real thing, as is everything frontside at Lake Louise)...

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
If you'll indulge a comparative newb on ski terminology... What does "forgiving underfoot" mean? What does stiffness and/or forgiveness underfoot (relative to say either of the skis I own) translate into when I make a mistake skiing (I am often backseat on steeper stuff)? Given that these will only come out on a soft snow day, are you suggesting that the MFree 182 (I can't imagine skiing anything in 192) will have poorer grip on groomers (not that there will be tons of skiing groomers on these, but getting down at the end of day at Fernie on shitty skied out connectors is a real thing, as is everything frontside at Lake Louise)...
Most skis get noticeably stiffer in the middle of the ski with softer flex on the tips and tails. The Enforcer Free line(especially the 110) is more uniform in flex from tip to tail with the underfoot section not getting quite as stiff.
When you get backseat or off balance in bumps or off piste, the softer underfoot flexing ski will be less punishing of those mistakes to allow you to more easily recover.

The Enforcer 110 is tapered on the tip/tail to make skidding and pivoting easier Vs a carving ski but the MFree 108 has even more taper and rocker. So a longer effective edge on the Enforcer for groomer grip vs a looser feel off piste on the MFree108. A 177cm Enforcer 110 would have a similar effective edge to the 182cm MFree 108. Both are solid skis on softer groomers and neither are ice skates but I’d give the 185cm E110 the grip edge over the 182cm MFree 108.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
thanks so much! Last question: here’s me on piste. I think this shows I’m a strong intermediate/ weak advanced skier , but obviously learning still. Still reasonable to give one of these a whirl?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
thanks so much! Last question: here’s me on piste. I think this shows I’m a strong intermediate/ weak advanced skier , but obviously learning still. Still reasonable to give one of these a whirl?
View attachment 162726
Definitely!!!
Again, they aren’t demanding skis at all and are kinda in-between your existing skis in design. Your AX will of course be better on firmer snow but the Enforcer 110 has less taper than the heavily soft snow biased QST 99. Groomer performance may surprise you Vs the QST especially when things get rough. Flex pattern is somewhat similar to the AX and actually softer flexing than the QST underfoot.
With it’s semi twin tail, the Enforcer will act like a shorter ski on a slightly tipped edge and a pretty long ski when fully tipped on edge on a groomer. Even easier to “feather the edge grip” off piste and on steeps.

Very easy recommendation to even a less advanced skier than you as it’s quite easy going.
One thing to mention is to check the tune on ANY new ski as I think much of the “Enforcers are demanding” rep is because of poor factory tunes(commonly edge high). An edge ski will make it harder to pivot and makes the ski feel heavier.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I found them 33% off and pulled the trigger with a phone call this afternoon, and I guess next step is a picture in the "NEW GEAR" thread? :)

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I found them 33% off and pulled the trigger with a phone call this afternoon, and I guess next step is a picture in the "NEW GEAR" thread? :)
That’s great! Attack GW or Griffons with a 110mm brake would be a good match for them and they should be on deals too.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
congrats. but what did you end up getting? hope you have time to get out on them this season!

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
Of all the somewhat crazy things, I ended up getting the Enforcers in a 185! Despite the fact that the title suggested 3 very different skis, there were a few things that played into this rather than just GregK (who obviously was a big influence, but also at the end I own my own decision :) )

1) I had been thinking I was in between lengths in the blizzard while 184-185 had always felt right-ish for this kind of ski;
2) I had pretty exhaustively read reviews and watched videos on the whole spectrum there, and had it in my mind previously the enforcer was more like a katana or something really stiff.
3) I expect to be in quite a bit of chop just in general, where I ski, much more than float. Also, how I ski honestly is not as dynamic as I'd like it to be so hopefully some of the dampness will help out. I have felt kicked around on the QSTs in chop.
4) The discussion on "forgiving" underfoot (plus the flex patterns I'd seen on these skis from a number of reviews) was useful to me. I'd seen this a few places, not just from Greg. I think it was close, and ultimately thought some about the MFree vs the enforcer as an A/B at the end, some of the thoughts on getting through the chop...
5) Before this, I had landed on the MFree108 as my most likely choice (and this probably would have worked well, actually). It still potentially could have been better, IDK, as I slightly favor the perhaps even easier release on the tips and tails; but honestly, I don't know ;) Something that helped break a very close race (not the most important thing, but non-negligible in a near tie): the MFree was a little harder to get in my physical location, and $750 vs 600, and I could support a shop that has been good to me so far.

Lastly, I'm buying a $600 (right now) ski, not getting married to it. If it doesn't work out after a few days of skiing it, someone will buy it for a reasonable price and I'll try something different :) The QST99s were not knocking it out of the park in deeper days :)

And yes, should be able to ski another 10 days this year, so will definitely get them out, maybe in the slush, definitely if there's fresh :)

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Think you’ll be happy on the 185cm Enforcer 110 as the 182cm MFree 108 might have been too loose for someone used to very traditional skis like the AX.
The 192cm MFree 108 isn’t as loose and hope Dynastar eventually puts out an in between size.
Found my 186cm Enforcer 104 a good mix of the 2 MFree 108 sizes in feel and the 185cm 110 is similar.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
Think you’ll be happy on the 185cm Enforcer 110 as the 182cm MFree 108 might have been too loose for someone used to very traditional skis like the AX.
The 192cm MFree 108 isn’t as loose and hope Dynastar eventually puts out an in between size.
Found my 186cm Enforcer 104 a good mix of the 2 MFree 108 sizes in feel and the 185cm 110 is similar.
Thanks so much for your help! I ski much more tentatively off piste and did so almost exclusively with my QSTs, but I have spent a ton of time on the AXs this season on piste. We will give the new ones a try! Either way I know it shouldn’t be bitey in the tail with all that rocker. As long as I can move it and change direction in the bumps with some facility we are all good. :)

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I love my Enforcer 115--super fun ski for fresh powder, but also works great in afternoon spring slush. As the Enforcer 110 is even easier to zoom on, you should have a great time!

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
The Enforcer 110 is a well loved ski, I hope you too love them…keep us posted.

For others reading, I am a huge fan of the Rustler 11; It’s my widest ski and when I’m ever there’s enough fresh to warrant it I love it and have a blast! It handles variable conditions very well, loves air time, and glides through pow.
If Leo can charge it, as it’s his go to ski, I think the upper limit is very high.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Enforcer 110 is a well loved ski, I hope you too love them…keep us posted.

For others reading, I am a huge fan of the Rustler 11; It’s my widest ski and when I’m ever there’s enough fresh to warrant it I love it and have a blast! It handles variable conditions very well, loves air time, and glides through pow.
If Leo can charge it, as it’s his go to ski, I think the upper limit is very high.

For Rustler 11 owners, would you mind commenting on how the lengths feel as it relates to the rocker profiles.

I'm thinking of possibly getting them;
I have the bonafide97 in a 171 which fits me well; but my concern is they didn't upsize the sizing say +5cms for the extra rocker profile and more float.
Did you feel the Rustler gave up too running length making it ski shorter? Which is why the 177 sizing on the enforcer 110 is pulling me in.
Or for it's powday purposes, did you not want the longer ski anyway; and a 172 Rustler11 would match sizing wise with a 171 bonafide; and you get all the extra float from width only.

jwilli

Getting off the lift
Skier
For Rustler 11 owners, would you mind commenting on how the lengths feel as it relates to the rocker profiles.

I have the bonafide97 in a 171 which fits me well; but my concern is they didn't upsize the sizing say +5cms for the extra rocker profile and more float.
Did you feel the Rustler gave up too running length making it ski shorter? Which is why the 177 sizing on the enforcer 110 is pulling me in.
Or for it's powday purposes, did you not want the longer ski anyway; and a 172 Rustler11 would match sizing wise with a 171 bonafide; and you get all the extra float from width only.

I have more experience on the Rustler 10: I usually ski the Enforcer 100 in a 185 and have been on the Rustler 10 in 180 and 188 lengths. 188 felt best to me, plenty of pivot potential for getting slarvy and stable when needed. 180 was super easy to get the tail to come around but I felt it get a little loose early when on firmer snow. That's why I went with a 188 when I picked up the R11.

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier

@raytseng I guess it depends slightly on your intention and use case for the r11. Height , weight, where you ski, and style would help hone in.
I'll say, the R11 in 172 is likely the best match given you ski a 171. I guess ideally if it was like a 174 maybe it would match perfect? Mind you, the Bona97 has a radius of 16 while the r11 in 172 has a radius of 18. So, if you plan for Pow days and tight turning, hop turns, trees, etc. are on the cards, I don't think you'll want to size up. Sizing up on a high rocker ski makes more difference if you are getting on edge a lot as you are trying to compensate for creating a similar effective edge. On a big mountain ski like the r11, you're use case in not all about getting on edge. I can't speak to the Nordica 110, but the 110 Free is likely the best comparison (I'd say the normal 110 in 177 would likely feel like A LOT more ski than your 171). IF you were skiing only in wide open bowls or glades above tree line than you can make an argument for going longer perhaps.

I do own the r11 in 172. I also own the r10 in a 172 and the r11 is much more of a ski than the r10; very different....proper big mountain ski...it loves air, powder, and fun...I love it. (I also ski a Stockli AR 168 and Icelandic Pioneer96 174- for reference on size).

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
I love that the discussion keeps going! Just got a text from the ski shop that the bindings are mounted and everything's ready to pick up. I will drive through and pick them up on the way to the mountains weekend after next... STOKED

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Went up the chair with 2 separate people with Enforcer 110 skis at a powder day at Lake Louise today. Both liked their skis and were having a great day on them. One had the original lighter version and one had the current one.

TS
Yepow

Yepow

Skier
Went up the chair with 2 separate people with Enforcer 110 skis at a powder day at Lake Louise today. Both liked their skis and were having a great day on them. One had the original lighter version and one had the current one.
worst part of reading this was knowing neither of them was me :)

PupManS

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At your height but 225 lbs, the Rustler 11 in 180 doesn't float me (but it's terrific in up to a foot or so).

I do like everything about the skis but that. Wound up buying a set of Serious Powder Skis (Praxis Protests) for deep days.

My experience is the Rustler 11 will still go very fast on groomers despite the rocker, so long as you're turning, it's still a lot of effective edge length (no meaningful taper) and the metal in the ski adds stability. Although turning any ski that size on hardback is not so easy on the knees. It's a great crud ski for me but I do not like to go fast in crud; I ski it pretty much like I ski powder (I'm not into figure 11s at all). It also bumps well for a ski with that kind of shape; I think they got the amount of metal in the ski pretty dialed. It's fun.

I liked it better than the Enforcer 110 (the 115 didn't exist at the time) I suspect because of length; Nordica and Blizzard lengths are pretty much staggered opposites.

Ironically, @Yepow I also own Laser AX and then some very groomer type skis and I bought the Rustlers as part of a travel quiver. However, one thing to say is, I found them a ski I only enjoyed on fresh snow days and true spring conditions; I find the width makes typical firmer days a chore, so I wound up augmenting them with a similar ski in narrower width (JSkis Masterblaster, which is another loose-ish playful ski with some, but not full sheet metal) and have been very happy with the quiver since then (Laser AX for mostly groomer days, Masterblasters for typical Sierra conditions (bumps, steeps, goofing off with friends) and Rustler 11s for fresh snow and slush).

Sponsor

Staff online