• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blizzard Thunderbird

Cantankerous

Putting on skis
Skier
Has any one skied the new Blizzard Thunderbird? Trying to determine if this is high performance/high tech with some more accessibility---or if this leans more towards--middle of the road--value orientation?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thunderbird is a series of skis. Which one are you considering?

TS
C

Cantankerous

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi Tricia--

I guess the ski with the 15 mm radius and I think its like 70mm underfoot--Im looking to be at the highest end of their range--of the series...

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Blizzard 2020 Firebird Race Ti Skis.
What's your take on these @Tricia? Would they be good carvers for a old guy Intermediate skier?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I tested what I think was the top of the line model in 174. 16 ish radius IIRC ? I actually used it for running dual slalom at our end of season training day. Nice overall ski, good hook up and easy turn in. Gave up a little bit of grip at the start of the day before lift opening when I was carrying a bundle of gates but that could also have been due to me doing my Normal Gs type speed on such a shirt ski. Was not lacking in performance and grip otherwise. Classic blizzard feel. In gates the lack of a proper race plate limited the performance for me, just didn’t give me enough pop out of the turn and let a couple of my athletes beat me :(. But for people not running gates, looking for a high performance front side ski or just wanting to do the occasional Nastar, a very good choice

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hopefully this review can help you out.

Searching the ski selector will give you a few different views of the Firebird line up.

*Changing title to Firebird.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, there is a firebird ski series and a Thunderbird ski series by blizzard. The title of the thread is Firebird, which are we discussing?

TS
C

Cantankerous

Putting on skis
Skier
Sorry for the confusion: I meant Thunderbird...not Firebird.

Thunderbird looks like it could be a strong accessible carver.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, there is a firebird ski series and a Thunderbird ski series by blizzard. The title of the thread is Firebird, which are we discussing?
Oooh, I changed the title. Looks like I messed up. Changed back.
All these birds have me confused.

I have not skied the Thunderbird.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Thunderbird I tried last spring (featured in video clip) was a superb ski. Definitely should be high on the list of anyone looking for a groomer zoomer.
Reviews will be up in the next few hours. :popcorn:
1630001725640.png

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January