• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Blossom AM77 / White Out Quickie

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a chance to ski a couple runs on a pair of White Outs (now AM77) @170cm with an excellent tune. Only firm groomers were available, for all the usual New England reasons, so I have no idea about how they ski off piste. However I can say that they are, as advertised, a total hoot. I skied them back to back with my Blossom Follow Me SLs (now the Squadra Corse, I think). This showed how much of a "fat slalom cruiser" the AM 77 really is.

If only because of the 15cm length difference, the AM 77 was significantly more idiot-proof. Turn radius not all that different, with that wide tip in play. SL noticeably quicker edge-to-edge, unsurprisingly. Snow feel was recognizably related, but the SLs had a slight edge here, maybe, in terms of feeling a little quieter and more unshakeable on the firmest patches, as long as the skier is centered.

Short version, if you're not racing there's a good chance you don't need a slalom if you have something like this.

PLUS it was just amazing how well the old topsheet went with my coat. ;)

PXL_20220103_185350419-02.jpeg

Last edited:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
PLUS it was just amazing how well the old topsheet went with my coat. ;)

View attachment 153850

First thing I noticed!

I have been out twice on my AM77s. First time was not too good. I moved the bindings forward second time out. That helped. I did a base prep but no tune - seems like I should tweek the edges. I didn't think that would be necessary... typically I do 1 and 2. What do you think?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
First thing I noticed!

I have been out twice on my AM77s. First time was not too good. I moved the bindings forward second time out. That helped. I did a base prep but no tune - seems like I should tweek the edges. I didn't think that would be necessary... typically I do 1 and 2. What do you think?
The pair I was on was tuned at 0.7 and 3. And they were sharp. Perfect for New England boilerplate. :)

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
not a criticism but you shouldn't have to move the bindings forward by 2cm. thats a huge amount and seems like a shorter length would have been a better choice.

I ski the SL's at .7:3. My AM8's are Factory, not sure what they are but the edge hold is superb. @Tony S super glad you are enjoying them so emphatically. they really are skiers' skis. Proof that a ski doesnt have to be burly to perform at a very high level.

Last edited:

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
not a crtiscsm but you shouldn't have to move the bindings forward by 2cm. thats a huge amount and seems like a shorter length would have been a better choice.

She's between sizes on these. The skis were originally for me but when they arrived she decided they were hers.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
She's between sizes on these. The skis were originally for me but when they arrived she decided they were hers.
makes perfect sense! glad she is digging' them :thumb: I dont want people to think they normally need to be moved so far forward. I have found all blossoms to ski correctly at factory (YMMV).

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I ski the SL's at .7:3. My AM8's are Factory, not sure what they are but the edge hold is superb. @Tony S super glad you are enjoying them so emphatically. they really are skiers' skis. Proof that a ski doesnt have to be burly to perform at a very high level.
1. 2 degree/ 1 degree works great for me (on every ski I own).

2. In a 170cm there's not that much room to mess with a factory suggested mount IMHO

3. Ron, what do you think of the crosswind/ AM 85?? I think the 178cm could be a pretty exciting crud, roughed-up frontside trail ski.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
1. 2 degree/ 1 degree works great for me (on every ski I own).

2. In a 170cm there's not that much room to mess with a factory suggested mount IMHO

3. Ron, what do you think of the crosswind/ AM 85?? I think the 178cm could be a pretty exciting crud, roughed-up frontside trail ski.
Head over to this link. I have been updating my experiences with the AM85. But, yeah, I am really enjoying the ski. I think if I didnt have the no 1 SL, I could just go with a AM77 and call it a day, however, I do find the extra width an advantage in cut up, leftovers and ungroomed terrain. I only have a handful of days on them but a this point, I wouldn't change anything about the ski. This design with virtually no rocker does require a higher level of skill but the benefits on the groomed with quick and positive engagement more than outweigh any possible benefits a slight amount of tip/tail rocker would provide on a 85mm ski. The flex is what allows this ski to punch above what many think a 85mm ski should be able to do and its forgiving enough to allow folks ot use this as an effective learning tool

Last edited:

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I better not say how I moved my set-up forward. I'd say it's about 1+cm or so. I think it could be more. Still not sure about the factory edges. Should I set them up at 1 and 2 or something like that, or leave them?

Last edited:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I better not say how I moved my set-up forward. I'd say it's about 1+cm or so. I think it could be more. Still not sure about the factory edges. Should I set them up at 2 and 1 or something like that, or leave them?

I would leave them at Factory 1:2, unless you are skiing a lot of hard snow and need the extra grip. stay over your downhill ski :).

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am loving my AM77 170 cm , The are a good if not perfect east coast every day driver. plenty of grip , good at low speed short turns, and show there stuff in higher speed long turns. I haven't been able to test them in soft ungroomed snow but I am hoping that changes soon.

Reactions: Ron

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I finally got to ski them in soft snow 6" to 8" of east coast powder found them solid, predictable and a lot of fun . this is a truly one quiver ski for most on the ice coast. The only time these aren't going to be my everyday driver is on boiler plate and new snow over 8". the former happens quite often , the latter not enough

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
I skied mine (170cm (I'm 5'7" 175lbs)) for the first time yesterday at Killington. Conditions were thawed snow, lots of weird piles of wettish snow marking the groomers but grip everywhere. First thoughts were to compare to my Blossom Numero Uno RC 170. Not as burly at plowing through the piles; the WhiteOut/AM77 is a softer flexing ski than the No1 RC. That aside, I found them really easy to ski. A little input goes a looong way. Nice in bumps, better/easier than the No1 RC. By the end of the day, I was loving them everywhere. Killington made snow on some steep bumpers all day today and I'm going to take the AM77 out for another test tomorrow.

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
My wife moved the bindings up 2 cm on her Crosswinds/AM85 and found her sweet spot. She tunes 1/3.
Too correct the record... I corrected on the AM85 thread but not here. Took @Ron 's advice and we moved the bindings back to +1cm. She likes them more here and I think it's settled. The only reason for the move is because she's between sizes and these are on the long side for her. I ski my No1 RC and my AM77 on the line and they're perfect.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Unfortunately yesterday was my last day skiing this year with a health related surgery tomorrow, but to the point I got to ski The AM77 in some more NE technical natural conditions and am very impressed on how they let me handle the terrain which required quick precise turns . They love forward pressure , engaged short turns cleanly, had the right amount of energy to really be fun. Its an older design that rewards good position and reasonable level of aggression. I think most older experienced skiers that appreciate a solid smooth , on the damp side ski will really enjoy this ski .It certainly is especially suited for a NE daily driver.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Unfortunately yesterday was my last day skiing this year with a health related surgery tomorrow, but to the point I got to ski The AM77 in some more NE technical natural conditions and am very impressed on how they let me handle the terrain which required quick precise turns . They love forward pressure , engaged short turns cleanly, had the right amount of energy to really be fun. Its an older design that rewards good position and reasonable level of aggression. I think most older experienced skiers that appreciate a solid smooth , on the damp side ski will really enjoy this ski .It certainly is especially suited for a NE daily driver.

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow!

Jjmd

Putting on skis
Skier
How much has the White Out changed in the last 5-6 years? Mine are that vintage and I skied them in very variable NH conditions the other day and they felt fabulous, as they always do. Just for a reference point, I have an embarrassingly large quiver of skis, from full on fis WC SLs and GSs, to various high end carvers like Stockli ARs, Head e race pros, MX 89s ( I do not pay retail for skis as I am a coach and instructor) and this pair of White Outs compare very well with my other skis. Obviously I am comparing apples to oranges but if you told me I could only ski the White Outs from here on out, I could deal with it. I’d rather not have to make that choice as I enjoy skiing many different skis but the White Out really is a fantastic ski. I hope they have not made it better because I really don’t want any more skis.

Sponsor