• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PSA BLOSSOM CLOSE OUTS AND DEMOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s unfortunate. Though how thin I’d have to see.
Seems to thankfully be a trend to more normal edges. This year Dynastsr, Rossi, Völkl, at least, their FIS SL skis are coming with near normal edges.
Last years Blizzard has thin edges. It’s close to half as much, but I didn’t measure. Despite the Blizzard being $300 less, I bought the Dynastar.

The thin edge thing really needs to stop. Maybe people with 20 FIS points might benefit, doubtful, but they can just have a shop grind them down. Or go to town on them with a coarse wheel and a TriOne.
Otherwise, we need edges so they can be sharpened and the skis aren’t done in one season. Or less if they’re heavily used by kids racing.
When you spend nearly $1k on a ski you should get the whole thing. Not edges ground down 50%.

@James I did measure and take pics of the Blossom SL edges compared with the really skinny edges on my Rossi GS skis from ten years ago or so and with the standard edges on another pair of skis. There were some technical snafus and a lot of ongoing laziness on my part. However, bottom line is that they are in between - a little thinner than on my FX 84s but not stupid skinny like the Rossis.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm tempted by the demos.
I decided to take a gamble and bought the FIS SL demos. They are the first pair of skis I've purchased without trying since my K2 712 back in the 1980s. But I've been locked up away from snow for too long!

edit -- except I didn't. Turns out they were already sold but the website was out of date. :(Getting a refund. :)

Last edited:

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I decided to take a gamble and bought the FIS SL demos. They are the first pair of skis I've purchased without trying since my K2 712 back in the 1980s. But I've been locked up away from snow for too long!
Nice move, Mike. If the current ones are like mine - likely they're identical - you will love them. What size?

Edit. Never mind. I see now. "This lightly used pair is in a 165 cm length, and has been paired with the VIST Speedlock Pro Superlight / VM412 binding system."

Sweet.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice move, Mike. If the current ones are like mine - likely they're identical - you will love them. What size?

Edit. Never mind. I see now. "This lightly used pair is in a 165 cm length, and has been paired with the VIST Speedlock Pro Superlight / VM412 binding system."

Sweet.
But see my edit above, there was a snafu and they were already sold.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

:(

Well, now the surface tension has been breached and something else will be discussed.

TS
Premier Skis

Premier Skis

Distributor of Lusti skis
SkiTalk Sponsor

Totally my fault that the buy now button was active. Our closeout page uses some custom code that requires a manual update as skis are sold outside of the system (a local guy bought them at my partner's shop) and I just forgot. I won't make that mistake again!

Mike

Reactions: mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Totally my fault that the buy now button was active. Our closeout page uses some custom code that requires a manual update as skis are sold outside of the system (a local guy bought them at my partner's shop) and I just forgot. I won't make that mistake again!

Mike
I forgive you. ;)

Now that the (as Tony says) surface tension is broken, it will be easier to committhe next time I see something I might want to buy.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Mike, while the White Outs are out of stock, I notice there are a couple of Tail Winds available. Can you describe the differences between the White Out and Tail Wind? Anything other than 3mm difference in width?

I’m in the PNW and I have a 90 for my daily driver, not convinced I will ever really get much use out of a SL ski, but am intrigued by the No. 1 RC or Tail Wind.

TS
Premier Skis

Premier Skis

Distributor of Lusti skis
SkiTalk Sponsor
Mike, while the White Outs are out of stock, I notice there are a couple of Tail Winds available. Can you describe the differences between the White Out and Tail Wind? Anything other than 3mm difference in width?

I’m in the PNW and I have a 90 for my daily driver, not convinced I will ever really get much use out of a SL ski, but am intrigued by the No. 1 RC or Tail Wind.

Even though the White Out and Tail Wind share similar characteristics and are a part of Blossom's TURBO all mountain collection, they ski a bit differently. I would suggest that the Tail Wind has more of a GS feel to it (when I ski on it anyway), preferring medium-radius turns to shorter-radius turns. The White Out has quite a bit more shape to it which allows you to get it to hook up a bit more quickly (when we are talking about skis of comparable length). That's not to say the Tail Wind won't make short radius turns as it does it well, but I would suggest its sweet spot leans toward a slightly bigger turn. Both skis have the versatility to ski in different terrain and conditions.

In fact, the No.1 RC and Tail Wind are probably more alike than the Tail Wind is similar to the White Out, with the primary difference being the dimensions of the ski and Blossom softening the first 5 - 10 cm of the tip of the ski in the Tail Wind.

Mike

Last edited:

mulva28

Short Turns Enjoyer
Skier
In fact, the No.1 RC and Tail Wind are probably more alike than the Tail Wind is similar to the White Out, with the primary difference being the dimensions of the ski and Blossom softening the first 5 - 10 mm of the tip of the ski in the Tail Wind.
I'm guessing Mike meant 5-10 cm :)

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Anyone here tried Cross Winds? 178 cm/85 mm waist sounds real nice.

Yes, I own them. I really like how they ski. IMO they are not all that much different than the White Outs. To put it simply, they ski like a wider White Out (If I recall, I'm borrowing that from @Philpug . It just happens to be accurate.)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, I own them. I really like how they ski. IMO they are not all that much different than the White Outs. To put it simply, they ski like a wider White Out (If I recall, I'm borrowing that from @Philpug . It just happens to be accurate.)
It is a wider White Out in construction. Tip and tail are basically the same also but the waist is where there is the big difference and that makes a significantly different (longer) turn shape.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Along the same lines, I found the White Outs much quicker edge to edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor