• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blossom Skis preseason sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeezer

Booting up
Skier
What brake size works with the AM77 White Out? All of the Look Pivot 14 and 15 bindings I see on line are size 95 and up. Of course I might be looking in all the wrong places . . . .

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What brake size works with the AM77 White Out? All of the Look Pivot 14 and 15 bindings I see on line are size 95 and up. Of course I might be looking in all the wrong places . . . .
There is a 75mm brake for the Pivot available.

Skeezer

Booting up
Skier
Are there advantages or disadvantages to using a Look Pivot binding mounted directly to the ski vs. a Vist binding with Speedlock plate on an AM77 ski? Hope that is not too broad of a question. . . .

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll take a stab at the question, with my cursory understanding.

It depends on what type of performance you want to maximize from the ski. For carving and speed on groomers, the plate makes it stiffer and damper underfoot, and adds height so there's more leverage for tipping the skis. Without a plate, the ski can flex more underfoot, and keeps your boots closer to the ski, and may help with bumps and off-piste. I say "may" because several experienced skiers have noted that even with a plate, the AM77 is excellent off-piste and in bumps.

I opted to go with a plate.

Skeezer

Booting up
Skier
I'll take a stab at the question, with my cursory understanding.

It depends on what type of performance you want to maximize from the ski. For carving and speed on groomers, the plate makes it stiffer and damper underfoot, and adds height so there's more leverage for tipping the skis. Without a plate, the ski can flex more underfoot, and keeps your boots closer to the ski, and may help with bumps and off-piste. I say "may" because several experienced skiers have noted that even with a plate, the AM77 is excellent off-piste and in bumps.

I opted to go with a plate.
You addressed my exact concern since I plan to use the ski for off-piste and bumps as much as for skiing groomers, and I did not want to compromise their off-piste performance if a plate limited those qualities. Thanks David!

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
There is a 75mm brake for the Pivot available.

One source for the 75mm brake is Al's Ski Barn. As noted in many previous threads, those Pivot brakes are NOT cheap!

TS
Premier Skis

Premier Skis

Distributor of Lusti skis
SkiTalk Sponsor
You addressed my exact concern since I plan to use the ski for off-piste and bumps as much as for skiing groomers, and I did not want to compromise their off-piste performance if a plate limited those qualities. Thanks David!

For those looking at the VIST Speedlock system, it's what I've been skiing on exclusively since around 2012 and I think it's one of the best performing bindings available. It's got great retention, and as mentioned before, the height of the plate offers those skiers looking to ski with higher edge angles the ability to do so. Also, the bindings allow for a full range of sole lengths and the ability to adjust the position of the the bindings fore and aft of the midpoint if desired without having to remount the plate. As far as causing a negative impact of the ski flex, I would suggest it is minimal at best, especially with the Delrin plate (Superlight), as the Speedlock plates only have 2 of the 8 mounting screws fixed to the ski, while the other 6 float in channels.

The binding's biggest disadvantage? The Speedlock systems are of course heavier than bindings that are mounted directly to the ski.

Mike

PS - Our special sale ends in 6 days!! Why wait :D?

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just ordered the AM77 at 176 with Vist - speedcom rail.

Can't believe I got off the fence.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just ordered the AM77 at 176 with Vist - speedcom rail.

Can't believe I got off the fence.
Feels good doesn't it. It will feel better when you get them on snow.

TS
Premier Skis

Premier Skis

Distributor of Lusti skis
SkiTalk Sponsor
Many thanks to all the SkiTalk members who checked out our preseason sale . Your interest in our brand is truly appreciated! For those of you that placed an order, our stock should arrive on Tuesday, so your skis will be on their way soon!

Cheers!
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online