• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Blue Mountain Resort (PA) sold to KSL Partners for $32M

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Per this article: https://www.mcall.com/business/mc-b...0210809-lmspo62fxffubfqcrpmv4uzsc4-story.html

This was possibly the worst kept secret in Pennsylvania, but it's happened. Seems like a bit of a hybrid ownership-management setup as the previous owner, Barbara Green of Tuthill Corporation, will continue as CEO of Blue Mountain Resort.

I know that BMR was openly hoping to be purchased by Vail for many years. The fitful moves to build an on-site hotel/condo tower have amounted to nothing thus far. At least there's a bit more certainty over management now.

How this will affect resort ops is anybody's guess. I don't have any experience with Camelback since KSL bought them - perhaps folks who are more familiar can chime in.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This means that @Philpug and I can go back to PA and ski Blue on our IKON pass?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
KSL is who bought Blue/Camelback so not the same company as alterra which is IKON. No IKON when KSL bought Camelback so not likely Blue will be any different. Got this from my friend who's been affiliated with Camelback for years. KSL owns Alterra but alterra is its own entity.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
KSL is who bought Blue/Camelback so not the same company as alterra which is IKON. No IKON when KSL bought Camelback so not likely Blue will be any different. Got this from my friend who's been affiliated with Camelback for years. KSL owns Alterra but alterra is its own entity.
Hmmm, KSL and SkiCo formed Alterra Mountain Company in 2018

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Alterra Mountain Company is an American hospitality company established in 2018. It is privately owned by KSL Capital Partners. Still 2 separate entries

Just going off what I hear from folks on the inside as to why KSL resorts don't receive alterra (Ikon) benefits.

Here's a good article.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I like to ski at Blue Mt. They have good trails , it is reasonably easy to get to and they give me a senior pass. I hope I can still get my senior pass.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm, KSL and SkiCo formed Alterra Mountain Company in 2018
Alterra Mountain Company is an American hospitality company established in 2018. It is privately owned by KSL Capital Partners. Still 2 separate entries

Just going off what I hear from folks on the inside as to why KSL resorts don't receive alterra (Ikon) benefits.

Here's a good article.
Yeah... there was a lot of back and forth and questions (with me included) in the Camelback sale thread. It seems there are a couple of different KSL entities which are related, but run separately. And the fact is that Camelback isn't Ikon. So it seems likely that Blue won't be, unless they change the way they operate - then I'd think both would be Ikon.

stuckinphilly

Putting on skis
Skier
I was a Blue pass holder the last couple of years. I like their terrain compared to other close-by options. I was certainly frustrated by their lack of customer service. I had an issue with my pass and there was no way to contact anyone from the resort directly. It took a week and a half to resolve.

Anyway, I hope the new owners can get that fixed.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I was certainly frustrated by their lack of customer service.

The old management team is the new management team! Barb Green continues as the CEO and she has always been on the leading edge of cost containment. Minimal staffing and lifts not spinning are common occurrence especially during non-peak periods. Make no mistake, it takes tough management to make money on the southern edge of east coast skiing.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
worst snow making operation in existence. They used to blow a chunky blend of ice pellets with no concept of whaling to let it dry out, just blow and push resulting in the longest continuous stretch of chicken heads. :).

TS
Rudi Riet

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
worst snow making operation in existence. They used to blow a chunky blend of ice pellets with no concept of whaling to let it dry out, just blow and push resulting in the longest continuous stretch of chicken heads. :).

Their snowmaking practices have improved a tad over the years, and for racing the surface they make on Razor's Edge is top-notch: rock hard, smooth, and durable. Blue Mountain Racing goes through multiple pallets of urea every season and really manicures that trail to make it one of the best racing trails in the east.

But everywhere else on the mountain they tend toward "ego snow" that's a bit more sugary and a lot more sketchy when there's a lot of freeze/thaw. When they blow during colder weather the cover tends to be a lot nicer than it used to be. Where they've upgraded snowmaking equipment (to fan guns or new generation HKD "golden tip" long arms) the quality is markedly better.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I like to ski at Blue Mt. They have good trails , it is reasonably easy to get to and they give me a senior pass. I hope I can still get my senior pass.
Go visit the Blue website, Senior Season Pass is on-sale this month for $70. Pass is good at both Blue and Camelback. No other passes included at present time. I purchased, it was much easier to do as a new account, I had too many old accounts in the Blue database.
You can spin for us any time.
Wow, this is highest level complement from a very creative word-smith with a unique view of looking at the world. I am a mere grasshopper.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Go visit the Blue website, Senior Season Pass is on-sale this month for $70. Pass is good at both Blue and Camelback. No other passes included at present time. I purchased, it was much easier to do as a new account, I had too many old accounts in the Blue database.

Wow, this is highest level complement from a very creative word-smith with a unique view of looking at the world. I am a mere grasshopper.
Thanks, that is good news. It could have been much worse price wise. It was free for over 70, but a $70.00 season pass that includes CB is a great deal. On the website it also said you could walk up to get a $10.00 day pass with proof of age. That would be great if you don't plan on doing 7 days at both Blue and CB. Because I do like to go to Hunter NY, Vermont, or New Hampshire. Thanks again for the heads-up.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, great...just as I got to the age of being able to buy an inexpensive senior pass at CBK, they raise the age. I will no longer ski there.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, great...just as I got to the age of being able to buy an inexpensive senior pass at CBK, they raise the age. I will no longer ski there.
That's unfortunately been the trend at many resorts... to raise the age on free or discounted passes and tickets. Likely driven by the ever growing number of people that qualify.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Their snowmaking practices have improved a tad over the years, and for racing the surface they make on Razor's Edge is top-notch: rock hard, smooth, and durable. Blue Mountain Racing goes through multiple pallets of urea every season and really manicures that trail to make it one of the best racing trails in the east.

But everywhere else on the mountain they tend toward "ego snow" that's a bit more sugary and a lot more sketchy when there's a lot of freeze/thaw. When they blow during colder weather the cover tends to be a lot nicer than it used to be. Where they've upgraded snowmaking equipment (to fan guns or new generation HKD "golden tip" long arms) the quality is markedly better.
Razor’s Edge is one of my favorite runs for that reason. Right next door, on Challenge, it’s a different story. Chicken heads abound. However, some of the other trails have been consistently really good.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was a Blue pass holder the last couple of years. I like their terrain compared to other close-by options. I was certainly frustrated by their lack of customer service. I had an issue with my pass and there was no way to contact anyone from the resort directly. It took a week and a half to resolve.

I‘ve had great luck by using their online chat feature for customer service issues.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Razor’s Edge is one of my favorite runs for that reason. Right next door, on Challenge, it’s a different story. Chicken heads abound. However, some of the other trails have been consistently really good.
I experienced my worst chicken heads ever on Dreamweaver on the first day it opened one season. Like skiing through a gravel pit!

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I experienced my worst chicken heads ever on Dreamweaver on the first day it opened one season. Like skiing through a gravel pit!
Yeah, I got those on the terrain park over there. Came off a jump and landed in a pile of chicken heads. Scared the s**t out of me.

That also happened to me on Challenge mid-season. I tried slowing down but that made things horribly worse, yet skiing faster was super scary. I tried to slideslip but the chickenheads were much larger than chicken’s heads…they were like baseballs. Another guy stopped on the side of the run, terrified. I made my way over to him and talked him down with me. Couldn’t believe that run was open in that condition.

They groom too soon after snowmaking. Don’t let the moisture drain through. I think that’s the issue.