• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bob Salerno 1953-2021

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

69A88545-7155-4AA8-8B0A-BD9F8FAC3BBD.JPG

AA79DEA9-9707-4BE6-8A3C-7B3BC40B9295.JPG
The ski industry lost a legend in U.S. Ski & Snowboard Hall of Fame inductee, @Bob Salerno. Bob was not only an innovator in freestyle skiing, he was a great coach, a mentor and friend to Tricia and myself. We were introduced to Bob in Aspen in 2016 when he was getting inducted into the Hall of Fame from then on when ever we made trips to Utah we made sure we reached to Bob and checked in, if Bob was not in Southern California at his Virtual Snow he made sure he made time to ski with us.

Check out "All Things The Ski" for some additional pictures of Bob. He was one of the poster boys for Bobbie Burns. We will miss out time skiing with Bob and just shooting the breeze talking about skiing, freestyle and just laughing at jokes. Bob's infectious dry wit will be what I remember most about him.

89A4A3F0-66A4-4C80-AF9C-C5407A8BAF6C.JPG

Bob autographing Pugski stickers
974D82CD-D886-4AD7-BF53-BBA75E028656.JPG

Genia Fuller Crews, Bob, @Tricia, @Philpug
A81835A2-5265-411C-B30D-549A6A8AE39E.JPG

Alan "The Puppet" Shoenberger, Tricia, Bob, David Ingemie, @Justin Koski
8A71824A-B1EB-452A-AC57-B7EDE01104D9.JPG

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Winter Equinox Trailer
My favorite part of the movie is when Bob is at the start and you hear Bob talking...(paraphrasing) "Now, we have to hit that bump there and get some air..." Someone asks, "Who are talking to?" Bob says, "My skis"

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
Sorry to see this. One of the pioneers of Freestyle, Hot Dog skiing at the time. Definitely one of the leaders in our sport that I looked up to. I'm pretty shocked as I know he's remained very active and engaged in skiing. RIP, Bob.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Skiing Sept 1979 - Scott - Pugski - Dave Petersen.jpg

Bob-Salerno-HOF-SkiTalk-sm.jpg

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I only met Bob briefly a couple of times at Snowbasin but we have some mutual friends who have been shocked by his sudden passing. Thoughts to all those who knew him.
RIP Bad Bob !

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was on a trip to San Diego when I heard the news and I was processing it as I drove home, in tears.
I only met Bob less than 6 years ago but have spent some quality time with him.
The first time I met him in person we asked him if he wanted to meet for drinks. He said, "Lets meet at Dee's. Dee's has good pie and I'm in the mood for pie."
IIRC he had coconut cream.
We had many great chats after that first meet up, including his introduction of his twin sister to us, and some of his other friends who have become close friends to me(us).

Later, long after he was a member of the hall of fame I was asked if I could pick him up at the Reno airport to bring him to the Squaw Valley Hall of Fame induction where others were being inducted. I jumped at the chance to chauffer my friend, Bob.
He was re-habing from a hip replacement at the time so I helped him get to check in and take his luggage to the room.
We bumped into a friend and I introduced him as "Bob Salerno, Honored member of the US ski and Snowboard Hall of fame."
He asked me, "Why did you say that? It makes me sound so important."
I said, "Bob, you are important!"

I've had a lot going on this week and have taken some time to process, but I'm typing this while sobbing like a baby. He truly touched my heart with his kindness, humble nature and dry sense of humor.

Now I'm in the mood for coconut cream pie.
Bob, you left some pretty cool ski tracks on my heart.

Side note:
When @Bad Bob joined the site, Phil thought it was Bob Salerno so we reached out to him.

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Here is a great tribute from SIN, Snow Industry News.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bob's twin sister Becki has set up a gofundme to assist Bob's son in wrapping up his business with Virtual Snow and pay for celebration of life expenses.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sunday was heavy and light all at the same time.
Lots of laughs, tears and fond memories of our friend and ski inspiration.

It inspired me to check the last time I talked to Bob and it was in January.
We were at Sun Valley visiting Bobby Burns and getting some skis signed from him. I sent a video and some pictures of Bobby Burns to Bad Bob and had some fun banter.

Sigh.

Sponsor