• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bode Miller joins SCARPA as ski ambassador

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah an alpine shop with AT choices from Atomic, Technica, Fischer, Salomon, Scott, sort of Lange. Really going to add Scarpa? Why not Dynastar instead?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yeah an alpine shop with AT choices from Atomic, Technica, Fischer, Salomon, Scott, sort of Lange. Really going to add Scarpa?

Yes. In fact, one of them, with two retail locations, already has.

Pardon my ignorance, but is Dynastar "badging" (or producing) any boot at all? Let alone AT, specific boots?

I think he meant Dynafit.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yes, Dynafit, not Dynastar.
At least they make bindings too.

Well we’ll see. Maybe Bode makes more of a difference in Europe. Definitely some difference here. Otherwise, he’s a Talking Head’s song-
“I’ve changed my brand so many times now, I don’t know what I’m selling…”

Last edited:

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm not sure about the Bode Miller connection...but I think the boot is a smart move from Scarpa. Anybody coming from the climbing/touring market (rather than the downhill ski market) will have a lot of recognition and appreciation for Scarpa, and moving toward boots and skis somewhere between classic touring gear and classic downhill gear seems to be a direction the market is following.
Scarpa allready had the Mastrale XT, which was a powerful and light boot, but the big difference here is the Gripwalk sole (non-replaceable, it seems!). That will allow people to use this boot with bindings like the Shift/Marker Duke, and so on. Those with "Freeride intentions" will be interested. A good comparison/competitor would be something like the Atomic Hawx 130 XTD series. Scarpa usually organized their shell breaks a little differently than other manufacturers, so this boot might throw up some intereting sizing problems and possibilities. Scarpa does make a great boot, though. The other boot in that catalog that folks have been salivating for a while about the Phantom 6000...looks really nice.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
I suspect the boot is more freeride than AT. That would make sense as to why it's worth spending to get Bode on board.

Does it? Bode is a very recognizable name, sure. But he's never been involved in the freeride or AT scene. At all. Ever. And he hasn't really done anything notable since retiring in 2017. I have to ask, why would anyone buying a freeride or AT boot care what Bode says? This is a strange marriage imho. As much I loved watching Bode on the World Cup, since retiring he seems to be willing to shill for whatever random company is willing to hand him a check, regardless of product or whether it makes much sense. Good for him getting paid I guess, but I can't imagine many people putting much stock in his endorsements, especially because they seem to change every year or so.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I totally agree that by now he's just an endorsement whore. But presumably Scarpa think there is some value in having him to sell aspirational freeride boots into the less aware general skiing population. Don't know whether it has Euro value - MS flogs watches on Austrian bus stops but Bode is almost the definition of yesterday's man. Would make more sense if he'd had some movie parts or a web series or anything really.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have been going thought my mind of how many skiers have switched brands or changed endorsments over the years ... this is nothing new, it is a very long list. Bode is not the first, nor will be the last.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
Switching brands is one thing. I would probably argue that most pro skiers switch at least once. Going Fischer > Rossignol > Atomic > Head during his 20 years on the World Cup was probably more than average but not unheard of. However, Bode's endorsement list is a bit of a whirlwind since retiring and he seems to have bounced through roughly as many brands as his whole career in just the five years since retirement. And most of those endorsements have had little to do with what he's famous for other than being under the very broad umbrella of "skiing". Hard not to see him as a bit of a shill at this point.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Given Bode's track record I give it 2 years.
Its not uncommon for ski/ambassador relationships to last 4-6 years.
You'd be surprised how many times we show up to a trade show to meet with someone only to find they are in a different manufacturer's booth. ;)

Switching brands is one thing. I would probably argue that most pro skiers switch at least once. Going Fischer > Rossignol > Atomic > Head during his 20 years on the World Cup was probably more than average but not unheard of. However, Bode's endorsement list is a bit of a whirlwind since retiring and he seems to have bounced through roughly as many brands as his whole career in just the five years since retirement. And most of those endorsements have had little to do with what he's famous for other than being under the very broad umbrella of "skiing". Hard not to see him as a bit of a shill at this point.

He's been Bomber - Crosson, Full Tilt - Scarpa since retiring. That's not what I'd call a whirlwind compared to others.

CascadeConcrete

Out on the slopes
Skier
He's been Bomber - Crosson, Full Tilt - Scarpa since retiring. That's not what I'd call a whirlwind compared to others.
So four during his five year retirement, four during his 20 year career? I think that was pretty much my point. I don't really put any stock in what Bode says about gear because he'll be talking about some other brand next year :roflmao: But he is a big name that still gets attention so he has that going for him.

Anyways I never meant to get this deep into this thread, so I'm probably going to bow out of this discussion now.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Bode is 100% unique. Always has been. And, among those who actually know him, he’s sort of legendary in terms of being cheap, more than a bit self-serving, loving his money, and being “opinionated and confident.”

I’ll throw in one more thing. Up until a couple of years before he met Morgan, he spent very little. Now they appear to spent A LOT, which concerns some. He seems to spend anything on his family.

So…..somebody mentioned the various companies who’s skis he was on during his WC career. It’s well known that each move was to the highest bidder. No equipment testing, no boot consideration. They assured him that they would build whatever he wanted. And that he could drive them crazy. Which he did with so many demands. All about $$$, it appears.

Then the ego comes into play. For a guy who decided not to earn a HS diploma, he us “scary bright.” Smart. Listen to him. Articulate. But he thinks he’s on the same footing as a roomful of Stanford MBA serial start-up guys. He’s just not.

He gave up a certain, LARGE, LONG TERM income opportunity with Head, to “invest in Bomber as an owner…” So what was the income swing there? I hear $10Mil over 20 years. Mostly in lost $$ and relationships with Eliasch. So how did that go? Did he even try the skis first?

Now it’s Crosson. I guess, TBD. I’ll put my money on Hirscher, and his plan.

Boots? Again he wanted money. The two logical companies were Lange and Nordica. Nope, not enough $$. They would provide the boots, and likely pay him something. In the end he worked out a deal with Full Tilt, have PJD make them skiable for him. So….how many people of ALL ages walk into a shop and want to look at FT because of Bode? Close to none? It just seemed odd.

Clothing? Blows off his deal with Kjus. Turns down a deal with Spyder that would pay, yearly, what any of us would think is a lot of money for NO WORK. Nope, he’s going to be an owner and head creative designer for Aztech. Who?

So, now he’s got a deal with Scarpa. I am 110% sure that was brokered by Chris Davenport, who’s known Bode for decades. “Dav” has been very smart with his involvement with Kastle, RedBull, and Scarpa….for years. Has not bounced around.

Even with changing side deals like helmets, goggles, gloves….Bode can’t be close to conventional.

I disagree with some others. There has been a lot of movement. There is reason to question it. I think his partner/sugar daddies in Big Sky are sort of questioning things. I think they thought his role would be like Scot Schmidt’s at the YSC. And I don’t think it is. From what makes it’s way to me.

Bode is a good guy. A very loyal and great friend to many. But, but, those in the PR/Marketing niche of building personal brands feel that he needs to change and rescue things. Before he has no personal brand to build back up. I hear of his situation compared to LV…or Svindal. Very different.

Notice that I have not even mentioned “The Bode Miller Ski Academy.”

Many may not, but some do feel that he looks like a pingpong ball.

I have a friend who owns an oceanfront home on Nantucket. Not a skier. He calls me a few summers ago, asks me about Bode, and “how much do skiers earn?” Bode had rented the house next to his…a big, tremendous house, for a week. And if I remember correctly had a chef,etc. Had chartered a jet to fly in on. Rented 2-3 Jeeps. So my friend says “The last guy to rent this, this way, was Tom Brady.” And no, Bode does not have Tom Brady money.

I’m a fan with minimal insight. I know a lot of mutual friends have questions, concerns. But, Bode always seems to have his next plan in place. At least it seems like he’s not putting money into this one……And it always raises the question of how much money he did put away. Rumor has it that he has hit a couple of home run deals with early stage investments. Not like Lance with Uber, but still very lucrative.

The boot does look impressive. I am sure it will ski well. Hope Bode sells a bunch and adds a lot! I would love to see it.

Right now I struggle to see how Bode could be worth more to Scarpa than Marcus Caston is to Tecnica/Blizzard, as one example.

Strange business. Nothing more to add.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So….how many people of ALL ages walk into a shop and want to look at FT because of Bode? Close to none?
True this. With, perhaps, a very small number of exceptions, these kinds of generic celebrity endorsements don’t add anything to the top line. Most major manufacturers figured this out years ago which is why deals for ex-stars have dried up pretty dramatically.

Roundturns

Getting off the lift
Skier
Bode is 100% unique. Always has been. And, among those who actually know him, he’s sort of legendary in terms of being cheap, more than a bit self-serving, loving his money, and being “opinionated and confident.”

I’ll throw in one more thing. Up until a couple of years before he met Morgan, he spent very little. Now they appear to spent A LOT, which concerns some. He seems to spend anything on his family.

So…..somebody mentioned the various companies who’s skis he was on during his WC career. It’s well known that each move was to the highest bidder. No equipment testing, no boot consideration. They assured him that they would build whatever he wanted. And that he could drive them crazy. Which he did with so many demands. All about $$$, it appears.

Then the ego comes into play. For a guy who decided not to earn a HS diploma, he us “scary bright.” Smart. Listen to him. Articulate. But he thinks he’s on the same footing as a roomful of Stanford MBA serial start-up guys. He’s just not.

He gave up a certain, LARGE, LONG TERM income opportunity with Head, to “invest in Bomber as an owner…” So what was the income swing there? I hear $10Mil over 20 years. Mostly in lost $$ and relationships with Eliasch. So how did that go? Did he even try the skis first?

Now it’s Crosson. I guess, TBD. I’ll put my money on Hirscher, and his plan.

Boots? Again he wanted money. The two logical companies were Lange and Nordica. Nope, not enough $$. They would provide the boots, and likely pay him something. In the end he worked out a deal with Full Tilt, have PJD make them skiable for him. So….how many people of ALL ages walk into a shop and want to look at FT because of Bode? Close to none? It just seemed odd.

Clothing? Blows off his deal with Kjus. Turns down a deal with Spyder that would pay, yearly, what any of us would think is a lot of money for NO WORK. Nope, he’s going to be an owner and head creative designer for Aztech. Who?

So, now he’s got a deal with Scarpa. I am 110% sure that was brokered by Chris Davenport, who’s known Bode for decades. “Dav” has been very smart with his involvement with Kastle, RedBull, and Scarpa….for years. Has not bounced around.

Even with changing side deals like helmets, goggles, gloves….Bode can’t be close to conventional.

I disagree with some others. There has been a lot of movement. There is reason to question it. I think his partner/sugar daddies in Big Sky are sort of questioning things. I think they thought his role would be like Scot Schmidt’s at the YSC. And I don’t think it is. From what makes it’s way to me.

Bode is a good guy. A very loyal and great friend to many. But, but, those in the PR/Marketing niche of building personal brands feel that he needs to change and rescue things. Before he has no personal brand to build back up. I hear of his situation compared to LV…or Svindal. Very different.

Notice that I have not even mentioned “The Bode Miller Ski Academy.”

Many may not, but some do feel that he looks like a pingpong ball.

I have a friend who owns an oceanfront home on Nantucket. Not a skier. He calls me a few summers ago, asks me about Bode, and “how much do skiers earn?” Bode had rented the house next to his…a big, tremendous house, for a week. And if I remember correctly had a chef,etc. Had chartered a jet to fly in on. Rented 2-3 Jeeps. So my friend says “The last guy to rent this, this way, was Tom Brady.” And no, Bode does not have Tom Brady money.

I’m a fan with minimal insight. I know a lot of mutual friends have questions, concerns. But, Bode always seems to have his next plan in place. At least it seems like he’s not putting money into this one……And it always raises the question of how much money he did put away. Rumor has it that he has hit a couple of home run deals with early stage investments. Not like Lance with Uber, but still very lucrative.

The boot does look impressive. I am sure it will ski well. Hope Bode sells a bunch and adds a lot! I would love to see it.

Right now I struggle to see how Bode could be worth more to Scarpa than Marcus Caston is to Tecnica/Blizzard, as one example.

Strange business. Nothing more to add.
Great insights. Sounds to me like Bodie needs to learn to spend less and put some money away. I’m thinking in five more years his name will become pretty irrelevant regarding product endorsements.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Bode is a smart guy, don’t let me understate that. And, I don’t think that anybody other than his agent knows how much money he had in hand, or at work when he retired. Could be a lot. Hopefully was a lot.
The questions for a number of people often start with Bode, Head and Head CEO Eliasch {who evidently loved Bode}. This is rumor, but evidently Bode requested to be released from the last year of his race contract, which they were going to pay, even though he was done. How much? A lot…..Something approaching $1Mil.

But where it gets interesting is that Eliasch wanted Bode, in his stable, under a contract that would pay a LOT, for something like 25-30 days a year. At Kitz, WC Finals, OWG’s, Wimbledon, the Masters…..you hear numbers all over the place, but the assumptions that I hear are anywhere from 300K to 500K Euros. A lot. And for a long time. 10 years, 15 years? More.

No matter how you cut it, a complete 180 from what he explained was an investment in Bomber, as an owner. With a lot of big plans. By my math that move cost a lot.

i have a college friend who is a big yacht broker. A force. He gave me some insight as to what Bode’s TWO yachts likely cost to own, staff, operate, maintain. They are damn expensive. I think they are gone.

You look at the houses, etc. Maybe a kot comes from his wife?

None of the best Euro males with the best and largest contracts at the time lead this kind of lifestyle. And of course as time has gone on, there has been less athlete money in the game…going to a tiny number of athletes.

The thread was about Bode signing on with Scarpa. Scarpa’s big name is Chris Davenport. Not Bode. And I don’t think it’s a big contract.

My assumption is that Bode is always looking for a deal, and views himself as a one man entrepreneurial brand, with some very specific skills and value.

concurrently, he may have a nice chunk of money at work yielding great results. I have heard that he may have hit it big on an early stage deal. Maybe in CBD? That would possibly be huge.

Lance Armstrong is very open about his nervousness when facing $20Mil in fines, with nowhere near that money. His investment guy persuaded him to invest a pretty big chunk of money in a startup. Still in concept/planning stage. Uber. Solved a lot of challenges, removed the stress, capitalized his new PE firm. One deal.

I hope, and have to believe that Bode has some similar deals working. Because ot has to be clear that the endorsement thing for virtually every retired ski racer is kind of drying up.

Bode will pull it off. Always has. Always does. That would be my bet.