• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bode Miller joins SCARPA as ski ambassador

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They didn't develop their big mountain careers by accident. ;)
Bode is building his. Everyone has to start somewhere.
He is? What about Crosson? Is he still their spokesman? Not trying to argue; just confused. :rolleyes:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
He is? What about Crosson? Is he still their spokesman? Not trying to argue; just confused. :rolleyes:
Yes he is still with Crosson and in fact he works with them on development.
As he is with Revo Optics

Dav is with Kästle and Scarpa, and I think he's still with Spyder
Rahlves is with Atomic, Giro, FlyLow

I'm not thinking that anyone is arguing, but its interesting how different athletes evolve with different brands.
A few years from now we may look back and think of Bode and Scarpa as a natural fit and have to think hard to recall what boot he skied before Scarpa. :)

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
They didn't develop their big mountain careers by accident. ;)

I didn’t imply they did.

but they quickly transitioned and overlapped the two parts of their careers. Daron and Dav have 20+ years of big free skiing influence.

Meanwhile the several years since he’s been out of racing all Bode has done on skis is be a “mountain ambassador” (and no Scott Schmidtt in that) and try to sell overpriced groomer skis.

When Dav and Daron stopped racing they were immediately pushing the envelope on big faces and technical lines.

I find it hard to believe that Bode is going to be an influential free skier / mountaineer like those two.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
This is classic Bode, imo. Not curious at all. He is a counterculture guy who is receptive to the highest bidder — well, maybe just to interesting bidders. Always has been. It used to bug me that it was inconsistent, but it isn’t. It’s actually who he is, at least what I have seen.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Exactly - Bode's done nothing of note in public skiing awareness since he retired - no movie parts, no web series. Now he likes to do things differently but it's getting to be a long time to get started. I'd offer that I suspect he thought he could make it big on other stuff and/or his own brands - Bomber failed , who knows what happened to Aztech clothing etc. Now there's always a job for guys like him in selling chalets to rich folk from the era that remember him ( which I assume is part of his deal with Big Sky, the other bit is trying to propel it to the Aspen - JH peer group) but generally time means your power as an endorser wanes.

Maybe he's got some awesome Scarpa/ Crosson edits just ready to drop and we'll all eat our hats.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dav is with Kästle and Scarpa, and I think he's still with Spyder

Dav is no longer with Spyder, went to Norrona this season, FYI.
For some reason I thought he switched clothing brands(it was in the back of my mind). Thanks for confirming.

The last time I saw him he was in Spyder but he was also looking at a different brand. The last time you saw him he was in Norrøna

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The last time I saw him he was in Spyder but he was also looking at a different brand. The last time you saw him he was in Norrøna

I actually just read an article about it.

jRo92054

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
This looks like a very interesting boot, previewed by Bode’s comments about his dislike of the overlap boot and lack of innovation in the space. So, I find this announcement very interesting. Then, I realize that with my extra wide, 110mm foot, I’ll probably never fit into these boots anyway. Groan.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Then, I realize that with my extra wide, 110mm foot, I’ll probably never fit into these boots anyway. Groan.

Eh, I think in the past Scarpa have been better than most proper touring boot companies at helping us chunk-footers out. There's hope yet, especially if their plastic choices in the new line allow proper boot punches.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm sure he's a fun conversation, etc...., but sort of a contrarian just because, so long as there's enough money, but there are very very few consumers who know who he, or any other brand ambassadors are, or what they've done. Unless they have ideas/content/ design/ manufacturing experience that adds significant value (a la Hattrup), I guess I don't understand highly paid brand ambassadors. For the Euro market, I'm sure Bode's still on the radar, but I doubt if 95% of average customers on a ski wall would know who he is, other than being a big, handsome, strapping guy who's trying to sell them a ski. "Are you the owner?" would be the question that might be most commonly asked.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I got the play with the new Quattro XT (130) and SL (120) at the intro last night. Interesting boot in a few areas, it is the only boot with an integrated sole that is GripWalk and not AT. This really creates a very technical boot for the skier that still wants to use the boot on skis that do not have an AT binding on their in bounds skis.

Sizing is touring efficient in that while I measure almost 27 cm, I ski in a 25, this boot, no way in hell could I get into a 25. Point in fact the 25 shell measures only 282 mm! Most 25's are 290-300 mm. The 26 shell is even a minuscule 290 mm. the Quattro has a 100 mm last but the heel is every snug. Weight is 1540 g at a 27, the 24 is 1400 and change. The Quattro is not the lightest on the market but that skier has many other options.

tempImagehrAb8x.png
tempImageu6MZja.png
tempImageGZE4Nu.jpg
tempImagetDcm1L.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
More pictures from the Win Winter event with Scarpa
IMG_7099.jpeg
IMG_9706.jpeg
IMG_9703.jpeg

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Given that Bode just joined with Scarpa and developing a boot is a long process, I don’t believe he had much to do with development of the Quattros.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I really appreciated the Pugski interview with Bode, and the demo video of his Crosson skis. Even for weeks after I thought the brand was Crossons, the French breakfast pastry/scone sort of thing, so who am I to be anything but ignorant here? Except I really paid attention to that Crosson ski interview, the things Bode said. I watched him ski those wide 118 Dissenters, didn't much like the looks of the way those things tracked for Bode. But I got a good feel about the 178 Dissenters, a strong intuition I'd like it. I got the 185 Dissenter 78s, thanks Phil! And even more, thanks, Bode.

Bottom line: what Bode said about goals and how he wanted to dial in that line of skis was what that ski did, at least for me. Pretty much word for word.

As a fan, I've watched Bode over the years. He's just spontaneously genuine, to me. Just a natural at many levels, to me, including as a human being.
I think he gets behind a project if he gets naturally interested, really interested, in some aspect of it. In that Pugski interview, Bode was saying he has had some ideas for skis, cumulatively, of what kinds of skis he'd like to see improve things, ideas that meshed well with what he found with Crosson and the people there.

To me, the 178/185 Dissenter ski I just bought on a hunch and an interview is exhibit #1 that I'm in the ballpark here: the dang things, to me, are 5 star, top skis, in ways that Bode was aiming at, different from any others I've tried in pretty much the exact ways Bode said, and then some. I think a lot of good skiers might find like I did that this is a type of ski they didn't know existed, that they didn't know they wanted, until they skied it for a day like I just did.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
P.S. I think this may well mean that in some way Bode has some pent up ideas about boots he'd like to see, that maybe a collaboration with Scarpa might make happen. I hope so. Maybe it will be good, another improvement.

(Yeah, the guy wants to make a living, and may get confused a bit here and there about that, dunno; but more fundamentally, he wants to get out and have some fun doing it, and get some things done in ways that are new and interesting to him, to his kids and family also. Seems like.)

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I really appreciated the Pugski interview with Bode, and the demo video of his Crosson skis. Even for weeks after I thought the brand was Crossons, the French breakfast pastry/scone sort of thing, so who am I to be anything but ignorant here? Except I really paid attention to that Crosson ski interview, the things Bode said. I watched him ski those wide 118 Dissenters, didn't much like the looks of the way those things tracked for Bode. But I got a good feel about the 178 Dissenters, a strong intuition I'd like it. I got the 185 Dissenter 78s, thanks Phil! And even more, thanks, Bode.

Bottom line: what Bode said about goals and how he wanted to dial in that line of skis was what that ski did, at least for me. Pretty much word for word.

As a fan, I've watched Bode over the years. He's just spontaneously genuine, to me. Just a natural at many levels, to me, including as a human being.
I think he gets behind a project if he gets naturally interested, really interested, in some aspect of it. In that Pugski interview, Bode was saying he has had some ideas for skis, cumulatively, of what kinds of skis he'd like to see improve things, ideas that meshed well with what he found with Crosson and the people there.

To me, the 178/185 Dissenter ski I just bought on a hunch and an interview is exhibit #1 that I'm in the ballpark here: the dang things, to me, are 5 star, top skis, in ways that Bode was aiming at, different from any others I've tried in pretty much the exact ways Bode said, and then some. I think a lot of good skiers might find like I did that this is a type of ski they didn't know existed, that they didn't know they wanted, until they skied it for a day like I just did.
Do you have a more targeted review of the ski coming up?

James

Out There
Instructor
Interesting to hear a positive review.

Even for weeks after I thought the brand was Crossons, the French breakfast pastry/scone sort of thing,
Dude, scones and croissants are about as far apart as you can get. Kind of like Transit Van and 2 door high end sports car.