• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bode Miller joins SCARPA as ski ambassador

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bode-Miller-Scarpa-Ambassador-Slider-SkiTalk-skiing.jpeg
This thread is for the general discussion of the Article Bode Miller joins SCARPA as ski ambassador. Please add to the discussion here.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Weird as Scarpa doesn’t make anything other than shoes and boots. Their climbing shoes and boots are amazing. I thought their backcountry boys line is losing steam?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
"He began wearing SCARPA climbing shoes as a child while climbing with his family, and was impressed then by the precision and quality."

:roflmao:

Climber: So you're 10 years old and out here with your family?
Young Bode: Yep
Climber: Those are some cool climbing shoes!
Young Bode: I'm really just impressed by their precision and quality.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Since Bode's relationship with Full Tilt is about to change, it makes sense that he's aligning with a new boot.
It will be interesting to talk to him about it.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
"He began wearing SCARPA climbing shoes as a child while climbing with his family, and was impressed then by the precision and quality."

:roflmao:

Climber: So you're 10 years old and out here with your family?
Young Bode: Yep
Climber: Those are some cool climbing shoes!
Young Bode: I'm really just impressed by their precision and quality.
Not that anyone would ever have interviewed me about anything, but I totally would have said something like that at that age, insufferable gear head that I've always been. Yes, even that long ago.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Given Bode's track record I give it 2 years.

No knock on Scarpa their hiking/ climbing boots are excellent.

Sort of get the vibe that they're losing a bit of momentum in AT as brands like Tecnica nail it but alpine is a busy market. And we all know you shouldn't buy boots based on what someone else uses so......

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
In the specialized italian press (Skialper, as seen on their FB page), the announcement has been linked to a new product that SCARPA will be presenting at Denver OR, a 4 buckles freeride boot, name is 4-QUATTRO...at first it escaped me how Bode could have taken part in the development of such a boot even though, for all that I know, he could be a keen mountaineer/AT and a terrific product developer, who knows..but then the announcement says he will collaborate in the development of future evolutions of the boot, not that he has collaborated in the development of the present one (even though, a little voice tells me that I "know" someone who has been involved more in the development of this boot, since its inception...).
Furthermore, it baffles me that the press release there presents the boot as "SCARPA debut in the hybrid alpine-AT boot world"...I wonder, memory isn't as lasting as it used to be, even it today's computerized wold...what about the SCARPA FREEDOM?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I suspect the boot is more freeride than AT. That would make sense as to why it's worth spending to get Bode on board. That reminds me I actually have a pair of Freedoms languishing in a cupboard (snapped up for my bro who then discovered the shell PEBAX couldn't really be blown easily)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
the announcement has been linked to a new product that SCARPA will be presenting at Denver OR, a 4 buckles freeride boot, name is 4-QUATTRO...
@Philpug and I will be at the introduction event.
Stay tuned.

Nobody

Skier
I suspect the boot is more freeride than AT. That would make sense as to why it's worth spending to get Bode on board. That reminds me I actually have a pair of Freedoms languishing in a cupboard (snapped up for my bro who then discovered the shell PEBAX couldn't really be blown easily)
Some years ago my best half decided to have a try at AT/skinning. As customary, we rented the equipment for her. Her choice for boots, after trying the whole plethora on offer at the shop, was on a pair of Freedom (ladies model).Out of all the AT boots models (Dynafit, etc) She found it comfortable and snug at the same time. Needless to say, she is a person used to tiring workloads (she has been a medium to long distance, think marathon, inline pro sakter), used, as we say, to hunch over her shoulder and dig her heels on the ground and push. Technique aside, when she set to go, she took on as customary to her...full steam. I reached the top some 40-45 minutes after her, totally destroyed...couldn't keep up with her no matter what! :cool:

James

Out There
Instructor
Full Tilts are now just chopped liver.
The new Scarpa looks nice. That power strap is the same as…Technica? With that hook. Forget, but it’s a recent boot I tried on and didn’t use the hook like you’re supposed to.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Sort of get the vibe that they're losing a bit of momentum in AT as brands like Tecnica nail it but alpine is a busy market. And we all know you shouldn't buy boots based on what someone else uses s

I don't know what ya'll are talking about...but Scarpa is massively popular in the backcountry world. Their F1 and new F1 LT are some of the loved boots among those who put in a lot of time on the skin track. And their Maestrale is a perennial best seller.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I don't know what ya'll are talking about...but Scarpa is massively popular in the backcountry world. Their F1 and new F1 LT are some of the loved boots among those who put in a lot of time on the skin track. And their Maestrale is a perennial best seller.

They're talking about non-backcountry world, aka mainstream ski shops, aka boots sold to people that get FOMO over not having touring capability but can't climb 1000' vert in 2 hours+.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Sure but AT has become more competitive - Atomic, Tecnica, Dalbello, Salomon, Lange etc weren't producing tech boots (Ok Scott were as Garmont) AIUI. Makes sense that Scarpa would want to leverage into the freeride space.

Nobody

Skier
They're talking about non-backcountry world, aka mainstream ski shops, aka boots sold to people that get FOMO over not having touring capability but can't climb 1000' vert in 2 hours+.
Mmmmhhh that description resembles...me (especially the "can't climb 1000' vert in 2 hours+"). :)
Looks like a good copy of a ZeroG. ZeroG is a great boot
Except that since the second generation of the ZeroG, the first buckle is inverted. It was so, like the 4-QUATTRO, in the first gen (the yellow/lime ones, that I have). Wonder if that will be the first mod in the evolution release next year...

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The post I quote explicitly said "AT" == Alpine touring, hence the confusion.

Looks like a good copy of a ZeroG. ZeroG is a great boot

At 1500g it's not really a ZeroG competitor.

That said...the new F1 XT looks very promising as my next boot. Assuming that it is the same last as the F1 LT.

Scarpa book here: https://issuu.com/scarpa_aut/docs/scarpa_workbook_2022

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid