• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bodes thoughts on Boots

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Interesting discussion here-

and here-

Anybody want to share thoughts?

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah linking 2hrs of podcasts with no indexing or quotes is tough to jump start a conversation.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yeah linking 2hrs of podcasts with no indexing or quotes is tough to jump start a conversation.

His specific claim: if you bolted an alpine boot to the floor, and tried to flex is straight forward...it would be impossible. Instead, the boot would flex slightly outward at an angle. Or, another way to think about it, of the sole could move, it would drop on the inside edge, as if you were engaging the inside edge of a ski. He claims that this helped make old, straight, 1970s skis easier to turn, but that it becomes a liability with modern shaped skis. Thoughts???

Our conjectures are pointless. If this is going to be a hinge point of his development focus, he should rent a full frame camera and and a motion amplification package and simply show us.

James

Out There
Instructor
Easy enough to bolt a boot to the floor and try.
No secret that overlap boots flex by deformation.

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
If what he claims is true, it could be the result of intentional deformation/rotation, or it could be related to the geometry of the clog, cuff, and pivots. For example:

1-Place a boot on the floor in front of you.
2-Trace a centerline down the long axis of the boot.
3-Remove the cuff assembly and inspect the pivots.
4-If you placed a pencil or something straight through both pivot holes., or traced a line through both pivot points, would that line be perpendicular to the centerline of the boot? Would it be parallel to the floor?
5-The line through the pivot points could be oriented in such a way as to push the inside edge of the sole down when you flex the boot forward.

In any case, 1) if what he says is true, and 2) whether it happens by deformation or geometry or both, I would think it would play a rather important part in boot fit, feel, and on-snow performance, especially considering all the attention paid to placing the foot just so in the boot, canting, and so forth.

His point that this effect, combined with sidecut on modern shaoped skis, leads to aggressive and possibly unsafe inside edge engagement is also interesting.

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
Are there any transcripts? I don't do podcasts. (That should be my signature, actually.)
Hi--if you go to the pages, there are tables of contents with the times of specific subjects. That can be very helpful.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi--if you go to the pages, there are tables of contents with the times of specific subjects. That can be very helpful.
You are right, but I still have to listen. Not only do I read about 10x the speed as I can listen (I believe it’s more like 3x for most humans, I just happen to read very quickly), but we retain what we read better than what we hear. It’s science. Plus, I like reading.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
You are right, but I still have to listen. Not only do I read about 10x the speed as I can listen (I believe it’s more like 3x for most humans, I just happen to read very quickly), but we retain what we read better than what we hear. It’s science. Plus, I like reading.
They'll get better findability from search engines with transcripts. Transcription has gotten way easier/cheaper in the last couple of years too - with AI that is very good and just needs a little clean up with clear speakers (mainly proper names).

ssh

Steve "ssh" Hultquist
Instructor
If I understand Jeff Bergeron correctly when he’s working on my boots, this is a big part of what he does: selects and then makes changes to the boots so that when I flex forward, the pressure goes forward along the ski rather than in (or out!). Given how my physiology functions, I’m pretty limited on boot selection as a result, and some would take far more work than others. I’m jealous of those with a broader set of options than I have. It doesn’t help that a 93mm last fits quite well out of the box!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January