• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fat Bikes Bontrager Gnarwhal 27.5x4.5 tires

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Quick review on these loose snow tires. I had purchased these as replacements for my Bontrager Barbegazi's looking for more traction in loose snow. In steamboat, we have a lot of long steeper (sustained 6%-12%) climbs on switchbacks with sections of traversing with short punchy climbs and of course descending on the same switchbacks. The barbegazi's are really great tires on hardpack and groomed snow but once the snow is fresh and gets deeper than 4" or so, they lack the bite needed on switchback corners and steep pitches.

The Gnarwhals have much taller lugs with twin wide center lugs and much taller cornering lugs. They are widely spaced to shed snow and have a soft tacky feel to the rubber. They have the added benefit of being able to accept studs for icy riding conditions. They weighed 1520 & 1526 grams per tire which is about 300 grams more per tire than the Barbagazi's. Mounting these up was quite easy on my HEDS 825 carbon rims. I used HED's "whack-it" method, Which I found on line. Essentially, get both tire beads in the the mounting channels on the HED rims, take out the valve core and hit them with about 150 PSI on the compressor with the valve at the bottom. As you blast the air, whack the top of the tire. It literally took about a 1/2 hour to mount both tires. They rare a reasonable $119.99 per tire MSRP.

First ride impressions: I rode these in only 2-4" of inches of fresh snow with a frozen base. I had inflated the front and rear to about 1.5 psi to just get a feel for them. I was riding the Barbagazi's at 1 or even a touch less. (I inflated the tires in my garage which is ~60*., I forgot that the air pressure once in cold would be less). The start of my rides are on a fire access road which is groomed, it starts out at 12% for a 100 yards, goes to 10% and 8% for the next half mile so its a lung buster to get to the single track. Here, I feel the added height of the lugs and probably some of the added 1.5 pounds. Beyond the increased rolling resistance, I felt the rear tire could use more air, it felt a little draggy. The front felt fine. Once on the single track, the tires bite was evident and despite the lower air in the rear, rolled much better. This section is probably only 6-7%. After climbing up a half mile or so, I hit the first steeper switchbacks that had previously caused the barbagazi's to lose traction, the Gnarwhals didn't flinch and maintained traction without any slipping. I even stood on a steep corner to see if unweighting the rear would allow them to slip but they didnt! I need to get them on a day with more snow to really see test their bite and traction but they passed the test with flying colors. Higher up, the snow was a bit deeper and the base was refreeze, here again, the traction was excellent. On the traversing section is flowy and fun with a series of short rollers and twists and turns through aspens, and shrub oak. I wanted to test the side lugs when you are carving the bike through turns. I had total confidence in the Gnar's! SUPER FUN. On the descent, I took a trail with a series of back to back switchbacks which feels like you are riding a rollercoaster. I was totally impressed with the traction but was wishing I has another 1/2 pound of pressure in the rear.

Overall, these are just what I needed. Yes, they are heavier and certainly have a higher rolling resistance however, I felt I could put a bit more air in them to negate some of that CRR . I also am running a 12 speed 11-50 rear so I have the gearing to compensate (on the barbagazi's I rarely used the lowest gear due to slip out) . Given that, and the added bite and traction, these are winners! the added bite from the more aggressive side lugs alone make these great tires but not having to be so deliberate when climbing to avoid slip-out, makes the added weight moot.
tempImageFOPqlC.png
tempImagefspTRW.png
tempImageMb03G7.png
tempImagei3Wr1r.png

Pierre

Putting on skis
Skier
Ron, the rest of that bike doesn't look like it weighs much more than the tires. Nothing like the tank I ride.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I haven't weighed it with the Gnarwhals but Im guessing it's right about 28 pounds

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Long term update:

Rode again on trails that had more snow but packed down and settled, the Gnar's have tenacious grip but you can feel the increased CRR in these conditions. I certainly like the Gnars and feel they would be a better option for deeper snow or when the snow is looser.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update:

Rode again on trails that had more snow but packed down and settled, the Gnar's have tenacious grip but you can feel the increased CRR in these conditions. I certainly like the Gnars and feel they would be a better option for deeper snow or when the snow is looser.

Not surprising. Maybe the Gnar up front and Barbi in back?

Tires are so personal. I've got friends that would never ride anything but Minions, while I'd rather die than drag those around on a long ride. I'd rather have a reasonably fast rolling tire (esp out back) and deal with a bit less traction -- that I notice during 5% of a typical ride.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
LOL, thats how I feel about the Minions. I just may try that f/r combo out.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
i almost almost go for more (cornering) grip up front, less rolling resistance out back. The only problem with that is that fat biking, in loose snow is the one time where I might want more climbing traction. However, that is very rare here, so I stick with fast rolling rear.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ron, I know you've written this before---but what kind of bike is that? Great looking lines.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Why Cycles, Big Iron.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Love that High end Titanium: after 30 years of Mountain Biking its still the one frame material that gets my heart all a flutter!

Sponsor

Staff online