• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Booking a trip for March 2022 to the Arlberg

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Privates are pretty cheap in Europe
Everything is relative. But $475 is more than she is going to spend, I assure you. And since I'm paying her airfare, I'm not shelling out for her. She's got a budget and she won't want to devote that much of it to one day. One of the reasons she does backcountry skiing is the price of day tickets.

Edit: Private lessons here are comparable at $515 a day. Not every place charges Colorado rates. I'm sure that the level of instruction is higher in St. Anton.

Last edited:

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
Not clear to me what you're pushing.

Not pushing anything at all, just trying to help out. If skiing with a like-minded group of similar ability is not your thing then all you can do is going private indeed.

The way it worked when I joined them the last time was you had lots of groups of all different ability levels, from 6.b (absolute novices) to 1.a (best, physically very strong, ripping skiers of a level of the guides or even better, somtimes racers). The one my buddy and me ended up was 1.b and we solely skied challenging off-piste or backcountry at a hard pace, zero instruction. We had a blast but were pushed to our limits.

Maybe al that has changed over the years but only way to find out is talking to them.

James

Out There
Instructor
Piste to Powder looks like it’s €380 for a private guide, and €135 per person for a random group. So if you get 3 people you’re ahead.

There’s only 3 levels. You’d go 1 or 2 and your daughter 2 or more likely 3. It’s hard to tell without consultation how 2 and 3 would shake out. It also depends on goals.
I would ask if level 3 is likely to include rappelling into couloirs.

There’s also “Open Touring” groups. I take it you personally don’t want to skin up?

>You need to be Level 2 or 3 skier with good fitness level, comfortable skinning 400 – 1000m vertical, 1 -2 hours. Safety equipment provided. Please bring touring skis, skins, backpack and helmet or rent online at Jennewein. Don’t forget energy bars and water!<

It looks like you’d need “3 weeks” of off piste guided experience to make level two. But that doesn’t really translate to North American skiing, where much of it could essentially be “off piste”. I suspect you’d be fine with level 2.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Let's be clear. I'm not going to be getting guided or instructed. I'm perfectly fine skiing alone. This is all about her. I figure we'll get her to wherever the group is meeting, make sure she's all set and then I'll ski that general area on my own and meet her at the end of the day or, if she's in Lech, back at the hotel. I ski alone most of the winter. In an off piste situation I'd either be done after an hour or be a drag on the group.

And no way we'd be in the same group. Although I've skied Whitefish the last 19 seasons, I learned to ski much later in life and most of my experience was mid-Atlantic ice prior to being here. I'm going to be 70 and I'm not a good pupil. Practice makes permanent. She grew up on skis and spent years getting video analysis of her skiing and skiing with her racing buddies not just in gates, but off piste in dense trees.

I've communicated with Piste to Powder. She's a level 3 or 2 depending on her "ambitions" which I need to clarify what that means. Because, yeah, I pictured rappelling.

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
I was there in 2017 as well. Small world.

Looking at my trail map, it’s 6 lifts to get from the base in St Anton to the bottom of Zug and 3 more lifts to get from there to the closest part of Schroecken. Plus, a lot of miles on piste and plenty of chances for a wrong turn.

It is actually 10 lifts, from the NassereinBahn or Gampenbahn load to the top of the Sonnenjet. One less, if you take Galzigbahn. I have not counted Trittkopfbahn - though many people do download on it. The ski down from Flexenbahn can be “interesting“. If you start first thing in the morning, and ski briskly (but not racing tuck), then you should arrive at Sonnenjet around 10:30 to 10:45am.

Sponsor