• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Booking a trip for March 2022 to the Arlberg

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
One reason for me not to stay in St. Anton anymore.
Well, when abroad, me too I tend to shy away from my co-nationals...
If you use walkie talkies, you want them with the PMR 446 frequencies which is the euro standard. Plenty of relatively cheap radios available that come with those and/or are programmable. Retivis, Baofeng, Radiooddity site sells their own versions.
Be careful, do not remember how it is in Austria but in Italy, anything but pmr446 with an xmit/rec range of a couple of km is subjected to obtain a personal "radio operator" license and to pay yearly fees (taxes)...
With a gsm phone, you can buy a SIM card for 10 euros or so
True, that is a sound advice, Vodafone used to offer such a service for visiting tourists coming from out of Europe (within the Europe an Union, roaming is no longer a fee service), youngsters want to talk to your GSM provider to check if they have reciprocal agreement and if so with which "local" operator

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I've got Google Fi, which I only got for this much-postponed trip, and it should work seamlessly from the moment I deplane. She'll have to research what she needs to do. She's got an iPhone but I think it's "locked" to Verizon. She's got a few months to deal with it.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Have any of you skied the area in mid-March? What can you tell me about weather and slope conditions?
The first time I skied Arlberg was early April in the late 80's, stayed at the Bundesportheim in St. Christof with good access to St. Anton & everywhere else. Skiing was more winter than Spring with great coverage everywhere but a couple of times some afternoon glop. Lucky to ski with some the top instructor/guides in Austria. Did the Valuga run to Zurs & Lech twice & it was definitely a highlight. We were able to ski lots of circuits covering tons of terrain & different areas. One day I think we covered something like 50 miles including a short bus ride.
I don't know how climate change has affected the Arlberg region but back then they were known for lots of snow.
My next 2 visits to the region were in January 2000, 1 day at Lech & 1 day out of St. Christoph. Again great & plentiful snow but colder. No guides but my previous experience got us around pretty well. “Achtung Verboten!" translates to good skiing but make sure you have good reliable, up to date information if you venture out on your own.

Last edited:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got Google Fi, which I only got for this much-postponed trip, and it should work seamlessly from the moment I deplane. She'll have to research what she needs to do. She's got an iPhone but I think it's "locked" to Verizon. She's got a few months to deal with it.

Probably depends on the plan she has, but my iPhone (AT&T) and a friend that I've traveled with (Verizon) both have a similar option where it's like $5 or $10 a day for service. We mostly use WiFi texting and calling, but in the event that you're separated and don't have WiFi, you can swap you phone to cellular service and make the texts/calls you need. It automatically gets charged to your phone bill. Then you can openly use your phone for the next 24 hours without getting charged extra...just remember to turn it back to Airplane mode before your time is up.

James

Out There
Instructor
You can look into local plans with a sim card but pay attention to the cost of use. I can almost guarantee an international plan for a month with your service will be cheaper. Service may not be as good though.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You can look into local plans with a sim card but pay attention to the cost of use. I can almost guarantee an international plan for a month with your service will be cheaper. Service may not be as good though.
Nope, you can get Sims for a lot cheaper than using att or t mobile out of the us.

I live in France4 months out of the year, and i can get unlimited use for 20 euros a month, or a whole bunch of texting and calling for 2 euros a month.

James

Out There
Instructor
Nope, you can get Sims for a lot cheaper than using att or t mobile out of the us.

I live in France4 months out of the year, and i can get unlimited use for 20 euros a month, or a whole bunch of texting and calling for 2 euros a month.
Wow, that’s good. Switzerland when I did it s few years ago was I think .25-.50 chf per text and minute. Can’t remember, but really bad.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier

I know when I researched things about two years back it seemed like buying a card there was the way to go unless you got Google Fi, which is why I did. But things change fast these days.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
So you have to "put together" a group for a guide? I thought you just showed up and got put in a group. Additional thing to look into.

No, you don't have to. Just register at the ski school office, describe your ability level and they will hook you up with groups they are running.

Best is not to sell yourself overly short but still be honest and objective. Worked great for me each time I did it. The instructors/guides are well suited to judge their clients ' ability and even if it is not the perfect match the first time they will regroup you within a day.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
It's actually a bit confusing picking ability level for guiding. The one I looked at asked for "weeks of skiing" experience and "weeks of being guided off piste". My daughter, the one who might be interested in getting in a guide group, has been skiing since she was three, raced FIS, was an alpine coach for 3-4 (?) seasons, has taken multiple avalanche courses (2-3 day things, but time was some classroom, some snow pit and beacon stuff, etc., and not much actual touring) and been doing self-guided backcountry skiing regularly with friends for 8 years. But just a day at a time. We don't know how many "weeks" that is. Sure, she can max out the skiing experience slider, but "guided weeks"? I told her just talk to them about how to answer, but that guide group is based over in St. Anton which, although connected, is not just a short hop away. I'm hoping to convince her to email them.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
My daughter, the one who might be interested in getting in a guide group, has been skiing since she was three, raced FIS, was an alpine coach for 3-4 (?) seasons, has taken multiple avalanche courses (2-3 day things, but time was some classroom, some snow pit and beacon stuff, etc., and not much actual touring) and been doing self-guided backcountry skiing regularly with friends for 8 years.
If she is aerobicly fit & ambitious she should probably place herself in the top group. Realize that most of the others are not mountain natives.

James

Out There
Instructor
“Weeks of skiing” is interesting. It’s really meant for the 1-2 week a year skier. If you’ve skied for 20 years at one week/year, it’s more accurate than “20 years”.
Your one paragraph is more than enough to place in a group. Very relevant is back country. I do know people who grew up racing, skied for years, and are terrible in powder and hate it.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
It's actually a bit confusing picking ability level for guiding.

Once there just hit up the ski school office and ask for advice on the right group for you and they will competently help you out - not difficult at all. The Arlberg ski school is one of the very best world wide and in constrast to most others famous for accommodating every level. And in case you are not sold on their concept (hard to believe though) then just don't sign up, no sense in booking in advance. Or try for a day and if you like it then upgrade to multiple days.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Once there just hit up the ski school office and ask for advice on the right group for you and they will competently help you out - not difficult at all. The Arlberg ski school is one of the very best world wide and in constrast to most others famous for accommodating every level. And in case you are not sold on their concept (hard to believe though) then just don't sign up, no sense in booking in advance. Or try for a day and if you like it then upgrade to multiple days.
The problem here is identifying a school (there are many) that will take the odd skier and stick them in a group with other skiers. I know she will never pay for a private guide for just herself. Most doing "groups" assume you are arriving with your own group. So far, there's only one I've found who has this option and they are based and form up over in St. Anton. So it's not a matter of wandering in to a building near our hotel. It's something we need to arrange in advance. Most of the websites of guide services at the moment don't even have current info about the coming winter due to lockdown. The "Arlberg ski school" only offers private guides for off piste on their website. (At least the prices seem to indicate it's private.) Piste to Powder has open groups at one-third the price.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
The problem here is identifying a school (there are many) that will take the odd skier and stick them in a group with other skiers. I know she will never pay for a private guide for just herself. Most doing "groups" assume you are arriving with your own group. So far, there's only one I've found who has this option and they are based and form up over in St. Anton. So it's not a matter of wandering in to a building near our hotel. It's something we need to arrange in advance. Most of the websites of guide services at the moment don't even have current info about the coming winter due to lockdown. The "Arlberg ski school" only offers private guides for off piste on their website. (At least the prices seem to indicate it's private.) Piste to Powder has open groups at one-third the price.

The OFFICIAL Arlberg ski school in Lech https://www.skischule-lech.com/en/skiing-course

and St. Anton https://www.skischule-arlberg.com/en/ski-course-st.anton-arlberg-tirol-austria.html

along with the 2021/22 rates (any others are privately run enterprises which aren't necessarily bad but often can't provide the wide scope of choices, leave alone the rates).

They work with the same concept and pricing and provide courses or lessons for everyone. Groups put together by the ski school consist of at least 7 skiers of same/similar ability level who usually meet each other first time. You don't need to bring a group on your own and just trust their expertise putting you in a suitable one, just read through their sites. Benefit is you or your daughter will meet like-minded skiing buddies while same time bringing the costs down to about 50€ per day based on 5 days.

TS
Sibhusky

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
50€ per day based on 5 days
We definitely a) would not end up in the same class, and b) would not want to be in any kind of group, even of our own friends, for 5 days. I don't do "gang skiing" more than a run or two. In fact, two friends is my maximum most of the time. So this would be a one day thing.

But I'll check the Iinks. Maybe I missed these.

Lech:
MASTER LEVEL

Objective: to improve and internalise skiing techniques, ski tours.

Athletic, dynamic on-piste skiing / introduction to mogul fields / proper behaviour on alpine terrain / off-piste skiing – dynamic on-piste skiing at high speed, mastering the various turns and situation-appropriate use, including under difficult conditions; use of avalanche transceivers; demanding off-piste skiing and skiing tours (with ascents); good fitness level required.

One day is 83€ which is fine. But she's at the level described several years ago. From the standpoint she'd be with peers, it's fine, as long as they don't spend the day in instruction mode.

St. Anton:

Not clear to me what you're pushing. The "black" courses she was at in high school. If I go over to "Off Piste Guiding", it's essentially private. If they make up groups of English-speaking folks of equivalent abilities you're not going to know your actual cost until they've made up the group. So you might, if you get a group of 6, be paying $111 for the day. Or, it it's only a group of 4, it's more like $150. Or there might not be that many "spares" to make up a group that's cohesive. You don't know. I'm sure they all have this issue, but it's a huge question mark. If we're going to be jumping an early bus to get over to St. Anton, we'll need more concrete info. At least Piste to Powder has rates posted @$160. It could be cheaper to do the "official ski school" or it could cost a bundle if it's just you.

Last edited: