• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Books ... books about skiing ... here or where ??

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
006.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
010.JPG
011.JPG
012.JPG

Besides looking for old skiable planks , I also collect books . Well , collecting is a strong word ... I try to find bizarre books about my passions , older books that are impossible or difficult to find . Here is an exemple ...
Could it be the right place to start a conversation about skiing books ?
You tell me !

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a few... the guidebooks were for places I was headed... the Taos book is kind of odd but interesting if you're familiar with Taos... and Ultimate Skiing is a very good instructional book.

Books2.jpg
Books1.jpg
Books3.jpg

I think I have a couple more laying around, but can't find them. I also have "Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain" on my Kindle... I generally only buy physical books when illustration or photos are important, or when they aren't available for Kindle.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
View attachment 84411 View attachment 84412 View attachment 84413 View attachment 84414 View attachment 84415 View attachment 84416 View attachment 84417

Besides looking for old skiable planks , I also collect books . Well , collecting is a strong word ... I try to find bizarre books about my passions , older books that are impossible or difficult to find . Here is an exemple ...
Could it be the right place to start a conversation about skiing books ?
You tell me !
I've got that one.
And a Warren Miller or two, the funny ones in addition to his autobiography.
And my favorite ski history book, Two Planks and a Passion.

And an overflowing shelf of others (way too many to list). There's usually some ski book on my Amazon wish list.

Currently reading The Fall Line (of which there are several), the one about Vonn and Miller coming up to the Vancouver Olympics.

TS
LeVieuxCrouton

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
006.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG

What about that one ...
So many nice pictures that brings you back when it was only ''soul skiing ''
1936 ... a long time a go ... another world !

TS
LeVieuxCrouton

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
I will post a few more photos from that one ... it is quite interesting !
I would love to check out Downhill in Montana ....

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Oh yeah! I have that one too. It's sitting three feet in front of me right now, and I forgot to include it in my post.

Sethmasia

Putting on skis
Contributor
Over the course of about 50 years I've assembled a pretty good research library. This is most of it.
ishalibrary1.jpg ishalibrary2.jpg library3.jpg

TS
LeVieuxCrouton

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
Seth Masia ... I am in awe about your reputation and your knowledge !!
In fact , I would like to download everything you know into my own brain ... Sadly it is impossible ...
The next best thing would be to meet you but who in his right mind would come to a backwater like Quebec ?
On the other side , I have no money to go to Colorado .

This said - and without bragging - I can tell you that my ''research library'' is much bigger than yours !!!
Sadly , I can't take a picture as most of my books are in bins downstairs and laying around everywhere in the house !!! If my wife was coming back from Heaven , there would be Hell in here :)
I will be 65 this year and I started buying books early . My main passion was skiing and mountains . Still is but I added surfing , mysteries , painting and erotica (...) . Twice I have been president of the climbing and mountaineering federation in my country so it helped .
My place is full of skis ( 135 pairs ) ...
If Lyne was coming back she would hit me on the head with a piolet , that is for sure ...

Now , in all that I see , what are your 5 favorite books ???

TS
LeVieuxCrouton

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
As proven over and over my talents in the noble art of photography are close zero ...
Still here are a few pictures from a book on Sun Valley , book published in 1980 ... an eternity ago !
It is probably well know but here , in my neck in the woods , even Sun Valley would be taken for the name of a sunny place in Florida and positively not a ski resort in the Rockies .
Tons of pictures inside , mostly of famous people skiing , drinking , eating , dancing ...

I could be jealous ... but I can't ... no time ... I have to be up at 4:45 tonight and go to work ... boring and underpaid office work ...
Some have all the fun !
001.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
010.JPG
011.JPG

TS
LeVieuxCrouton

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
010.JPG
011.JPG
012.JPG

Life is too short and laughing is done only by Humans or so they say ...
So here is a small French dictionnary about skiing published in 2001 .
I hope you will enjoy !

TS
LeVieuxCrouton

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
001.JPG

This one was missing from yesterday ...This is for those of you who speaks French !!

TS
LeVieuxCrouton

LeVieuxCrouton

Getting on the lift
Skier
001.JPG

Shameless to do my own promotion ?
Well , who cares , really ?

Two guys decide to launch a new ski resort in Normandy ...
Problems ?
No mountains and no snow ...
Well there is that hill , L'Éminence Grise . And you can always make snow in an old warehouse and truck it on the slopes , slopes covered by pine needles .
More problems ?
The cows in Normandy love pine needles . And then there is that murder in the village . And a famous relic is stolen : the Foot of St Vitupert !
By then someone has involuntarily reintroduced wolves in Normandy ... very hungry wolves .
And there's the burlesque parts ...
Did I tell you about the speed maniac with his 248cm ?

Too bad : I never had the money to get it translated !!

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sorry I let go my copy of Denise McCluggage's The Centered Skier. She was a great spirit, loved speed, grace, mountains, and writing. Denise also began the newsletter that became Autoweek Magazine.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Wendy
    Resurrecting the Oxford comma
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January