• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Books ... books about skiing ... here or where ??

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Favorite book showing how ski instruction can be illustrated with super clarity. The illustrations on the inside are carefully explained line drawings, so much clearer than photos. Downside: the book was originally written for the straight ski era. There are new editions which I haven't seen that may take into account shaped skis.
IMG_1225.jpeg
IMG_1226.jpeg

IMG_1227.jpeg

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
For the engineers reading here, this might be your favorite book. There are even equations for your viewing pleasure. Ron bases his analyses on racers with frame-by-frame photos.
IMG_1229.jpeg

Last edited:

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
And for those willing to venture to the dark side of ski instruction, try these. Brilliant insights about the technical side of skiing are embedded in these books. But you'll be barraged with bitter self-promotion by the author coupled with hate for PSIA and all other ski teaching entities. Just read past those parts.
IMG_1230.jpeg

Last edited:

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Anything by Georges Joubert....

oldandslow

Putting on skis
Skier
More than 30 years ago I started collecting old skiing books. I didn't have a computer but I found a lot of books in local used book stores. I have about one hundred books--some not so old. Once a got a computer, I bought a few books on line but it seemed that the sport had gone out of it so I quit. I had a book case made and have been keeping my books at my house in Central Oregon. I just brought a few of the older books home. Here are some samples--

ski 1014.jpg
ski 1015.jpg
ski 1016.jpg
ski 1017.jpg
ski 1018.jpg
ski 1019.jpg
ski 1020.jpg
ski 1021.jpg

The Otto Lang book has a newspaper clipping of his obituary from 2006. He was 98.
I'm quite old and no one in my family has much interest in my books. If anyone has views as to how to market a book collection like this, suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
More than 30 years ago I started collecting old skiing books. I didn't have a computer but I found a lot of books in local used book stores. I have about one hundred books--some not so old. Once a got a computer, I bought a few books on line but it seemed that the sport had gone out of it so I quit. I had a book case made and have been keeping my books at my house in Central Oregon. I just brought a few of the older books home. Here are some samples--

View attachment 204620 View attachment 204621 View attachment 204622 View attachment 204623 View attachment 204624 View attachment 204625 View attachment 204626 View attachment 204627
The Otto Lang book has a newspaper clipping of his obituary from 2006. He was 98.
I'm quite old and no one in my family has much interest in my books. If anyone has views as to how to market a book collection like this, suggestions would be appreciated.
That's a partial who's who of skiing personages from the first half of the 20th century.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
A couple first steps would be to type up list, with title, author, publisher and year.

Then start by googling each book to see if anyone else is selling or has sold it recently. This will give a very rough sense of monetary value. If you see a particular book being sold for $5 or less, then it's basically no monetary value. If you see some being sold for hundreds of dollars, that's good info. It if seems like most are in the middle, that's info too. As a collection it might have more value all together. But if most are nearly worthless in terms of $ and few have very high prices, you might want to sell them separately.

The googling for prices may result in you finding dealers of this type of book. In which case the list could be helpful in contacting them.

oldandslow

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for the good advice. However, my oldest son has expressed and interest in having the books. Perhaps I will follow your suggestion in getting rid of some duplicates. I don't know if there really is a market for these books. I have two copies of a book of skiing photos--Skiing East and West--1947 that is being offered three places for $125, $250, $350. Who knows what it may be worth.

oldandslow

Putting on skis
Skier
Continuing with the who's who of skiing personages from the first half of the twentieth century I have views of two other books that I just brought home.
ski 1022.jpg
ski 1023.jpg
ski 1024.jpg
ski 1025.jpg
ski 1026.jpg

I started skiing in 1947--the year the Emile Allais book was published. I believe that he was regarded as the best skier in the world. My next to last wood skis were 220 Emile Allais Rosignols. I still have them.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If I looked hard enough, I might still have a book from the early severities on cheap places to stay at or near ski resorts.

oldandslow

Putting on skis
Skier
Probably the book on cheap places to stay would have included the Hiawatha Hotel in Hailey.

Last edited:

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
I just got this book. I heard some positive reviews of it, and can't wait to start it.
Yep, RIP Ron Le Master, some great ideas. Great guy too

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Who can forget Bill West's tract 'Distinctive Sking'

30403562434.jpeg

When he authoritatively tells us that 'pole dragging is the venereal disease of skiing'

I know I always consult this before running a coaching session, I'm sure others are the same. One for every skier's bookshelf when they discover the paper is a litle too rough to wipe your backside with :)