• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot Bags

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm in the market for a boot bag/backpack. I've been using an LL Bean Ski Boot Duffell Bag for at least a decade, but am finding it unweildly to haul around and most days it's 1/2 empty.

I'd like something where the boots are inside/protected with room inside for helmet, goggles, gloves, camelback, socks, and an extra layer. It's going to get thrown in a car, set on the ground, etc 3x/week so I want something that's durable. Any brands to look at, any to avoid?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am a big Transpack fan. The Edge is a nice size and I think it will do what you are looking for.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Not sure how big your current bag is? I use the Dakine Boot Locker. The bag fits boots, socks, XL helmet, spare pants, spare goggles. Wet/stinky boots never go into the dry and clean top compartment. The long messenger bag-style carry strap means you can carry /two/ such bags and still have your hands free - unpossible with a backpack type bag.

For $25 you can also toss in a 12V automotive heater pad to dry/warm the boots.

The only downside is that it is too big for carryon luggage - so it stays home and I strap to my ski backpack instead.

midwestfabs

Booting up
Skier
I bought a thule bag and did so besides transpack or dakine bcause it was on sale. In testing it indoors everything that you stated. Seems pretty durable.

They also make single and double ski bags.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the Dakine Boot Pack 50L -- plenty of room for boots/helmet/gloves/ski pants/goggles -- everything that I need for a day of skiing and fits easily into the overhead compartment of an airplane

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Transpack boot bag that I have been extremely happy with. Transpack seems extremely durable especially with me not being overly gentle with my stuff. :) I can't speak for Dakine boot bags but the Dakine duffle I have also seems very good quality.

James

Out There
Instructor
Transpack Trv Pro, Competition Pro, or the Edge
( they're not small, but neither is the kitchen sink)

Putting boots horizontal in a bag on the bottom makes me cringe. I don't know why. So I never use that type of bag.

I've had an older Transpack for probably seven years. No issues at all with durability. All zippers still working. It can fit a lot of stuff. Right now I've got an old wax iron and a tuning kit in there. Plus extra socks, rain gloves, extra gloves, and other stuff I don't know about. Plus the helmet with goggles and neck warmer in it. I've forgotten I had a roll of duct tape in there till rummaging. Last year I kept looking for my Boot Gloves when it got cold. Couldn't find them. In April I found them buried in the Transpack.

That wouldn't happen in the new Transpack since they added a nice gray liner to the interior. Now all those black socks, boot gloves, glove liners, etc can be seen against the gray. It's a nice and useful touch. No more black hole. Gadget freaks might think about hanging a battery led light from the side. The gray will reflect from the sides.

I recently discovered you can access the interior from the front instead of just the top. (This after years of using it!). This helps when you want to grab gloves or something from the bottom without unloading everything from the top. There is also a zippered pocket inside that hangs from the side on top to keep small items separate. Like a diamond stone , keys, hand and toe warmers. Maybe a pass. Plus a zippered pocket on the top accessible from outside. I've got tons of ski straps in that one and usually a toe warmer of the day. Underneath the top is a light mesh pocket where I've put lip balm, a tin of sun screen, name tags, and an odd fleece item that velcros to goggles and protects your nose in the cold. (haven't used it)

Where the boots stay has drain holes. The Transpack has enough room to put my shells in then cram the lace up liners upside down into the boot cuff. The tops will stick out but if you do it right you can catch the heel of the liner with the zipper for security. If I'm tired i'll just clip the liners on the outside.

Those boot containers also each have a side zipper pocket for thinnish items. I've loaded it at times with trail maps, papers, and it's a great place to store Bontex shims (gasp) because they stay flat and protected. If you ever need it, it doesn't come out all crumpled. Also old or other footbeds. (I seem to have a collection)

I've actually skied with a transpack on carrying my shoes and wearing the boots. It has both a waist belt and a chest strap which keep it stable. It is obviously not for treking, but going from one place to another at a ski area, or skiing from your car to bag storage. Waist belt, chest strap, can be stored in the back along with the shoulder straps if desired.

The pack is like a small closet. Ocd'rs should be pleased by the number of separate storage pockets to stash all those things. Others will find uses for the varous pockets for years.

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Another Transpack fan here; it's my go-to for day/overnight outings.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I have a Kulkea. I like it a lot more than my transpack, there seems to be more room in it although the design is similar. And it seems sturdy as all get out, it looks brand new still and this is after over a year of wear and tear and dirty boots in it.

The one gripe I have about it (and the transpack actually) is that it is awkward weight-wise to carry. It sits high on my shoulders, or if I loosen the straps drags down on them. It's just not super comfortable for more than a walk from the car, although I guess it doesn't really need to be. If I was doing a lot of traveling I might look into something like the Dakine Boot pack, maybe the 41L size. I like that it looks more like a backpack and less like a boot bag.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a K2 bootbag circa 1986. It looks virtually brand new despite decades of abuse. Roomy and efficient. You might see if you can get one of those.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a Kulkea. I like it a lot more than my transpack, there seems to be more room in it although the design is similar. And it seems sturdy as all get out, it looks brand new still and this is after over a year of wear and tear and dirty boots in it.

The one gripe I have about it (and the transpack actually) is that it is awkward weight-wise to carry. It sits high on my shoulders, or if I loosen the straps drags down on them. It's just not super comfortable for more than a walk from the car, although I guess it doesn't really need to be. If I was doing a lot of traveling I might look into something like the Dakine Boot pack, maybe the 41L size. I like that it looks more like a backpack and less like a boot bag.

My favorite boot bag ever for carrying is definitely this one:

lange_pro_15.jpg

Doesn't have to be Lange, I think Rossignol has the same version, probably some others too. I would still be using it except for the stupid heated bag that I hate except I love what it does to my Zipfit liners. Last season I would keep the boots in the HotGear bag in the car, then transfer quickly to the Lange bag if I had to carry them anywhere, but that seemed a little silly. They stayed pretty warm, though; I might start doing that again. But it is an honest-to-goodness backpack, and fits and carries like one. Not a boot bag with shoulder straps attached.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
image.png

TRV Pro rules!
That said, I'm going to give the heated Pro a go ... as soon as someone can pry the TRV Pro from my hands.
I absolutely love it!
:yahoo:
More to come on the Heated Pro.
image.png

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My favorite boot bag ever for carrying is definitely this one:

lange_pro_15.jpg

Doesn't have to be Lange, I think Rossignol has the same version, probably some others too. I would still be using it except for the stupid heated bag that I hate except I love what it does to my Zipfit liners. Last season I would keep the boots in the HotGear bag in the car, then transfer quickly to the Lange bag if I had to carry them anywhere, but that seemed a little silly. They stayed pretty warm, though; I might start doing that again. But it is an honest-to-goodness backpack, and fits and carries like one. Not a boot bag with shoulder straps attached.
Transpack has one similar called the "Sidekick"
Transpack_Sidekick_Pro_Pack.jpg

It is one of my favorite bags for airline travel because of it's comfort wearing it and it fits well in the overhead compartment. I was going to suggest this too but the OP specifically asked for a pack where the boots were in the inside. It is part of my boot bag quiver.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Transpack has one similar called the "Sidekick"
Transpack_Sidekick_Pro_Pack.jpg

It is one of my favorite bags for airline travel because of it's comfort wearing it and it fits well in the overhead compartment. I was going to suggest this too but the OP specifically asked for a pack where the boots were in the inside. It is part of my boot bag quiver.

Yeah, OP did, you're right. @kimmyt had just referenced the PITAness of carrying certain bags, so that's why I went there. I never tried the Sidekick, but hear great things.

Someone needs to invent a high-quality heated bag with a good carrying system that is big enough but not too big. So far I haven't found it. HGB falls apart, and is uncomfortable. Transpack Heated looks a bit small for everyday use. Athalon barely fit my boots, much less anything else.

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
For the Transpack bags, which models seem to fit overhead compartments best on the smaller, regional jets?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I have a Kulkea. I like it a lot more than my transpack, there seems to be more room in it although the design is similar. And it seems sturdy as all get out, it looks brand new still and this is after over a year of wear and tear and dirty boots in it....

I'm a Kulkea fan. Just got one, and I love it. They make two sizes. I bought the smaller, worrying that it might be too small given their online descriptions. Nope, it's just as roomy as my last one, and I love the way the pockets are arranged. There's even more room for my boots than I had in my last bootbag.

In each boot pocket I store:
--boot glove
--boot, with cat tracks on the bottom
--my big mittens
--a bottle of water with one boot and a soda with the other boot.
The generously sized deep middle pocket has enough room for extra mittens, extra goggles, extra shirt and extra pant liners, my thin down jacket, AND my helmet with the goggles I'll use that day. I jockey two jackets, one my instructor jacket and the other my personal one. Once the helmet is out of that middle pocket, I have room to stuff the jacket I'm not using in it. That instructor jacket is huge, but it fits in that pocket.

There are two more storage compartments, one of them rather significant in size. Lunch goes in there, and all the other stuff I stupidly carry around fits in the other one. I have extra unused space; amazing.

Last edited:

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a Kulkea fan. Just got one, and I love it. They make two sizes. I bought the smaller, worrying that it might be too small given their online descriptions. Nope, it's just as roomy as my last one, and I love the way the pockets are arranged. There's even more room for my boots than I had in my last bootleg.

In each boot pocket I store:
--boot glove
--boot, with cat tracks on the bottom
--my big mittens
--a bottle of water with one boot and a soda with the other boot.
The generously sized deep middle pocket has enough room for extra mittens, extra goggles, extra shirt and extra pant liners, my thin down jacket, AND my helmet with the goggles I'll use that day. I jockey two jackets, one my instructor jacket and the other my personal one. Once the helmet is out of that middle pocket, I have room to stuff the jacket I'm not using. That instructor jacket is huge, but it fits in there.

There are two more pockets, one of them rather significant in size. Lunch goes in there, and all the other stuff I stupidly carry around fits in the other one. I have extra unused space; amazing.
I met the guys who make this and started the company. Good guys. Looks like a really well made bag.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I'm expecting it to last as long as the last one. Which would be 12 years of cruel and unusual treatment of said bag by clumsy and hurried me.