• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot break in question

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
Hi all, I got back in to skiing two years ago. I bought a pair of Fischer boots and had them vac fit at my local store and skied them a few times after. Last year we had another baby, so a 3 yr old and new born equaled no skiing last winter. I got out yesterday and the boots were fine, just felt a bit loose in places. Is it typical to go in for a follow up fit? I am assuming the liner breaks in a bit and a few small tweaks are occasionally needed?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi all, I got back in to skiing two years ago. I bought a pair of Fischer boots and had them vac fit at my local store and skied them a few times after. Last year we had another baby, so a 3 yr old and new born equaled no skiing last winter. I got out yesterday and the boots were fine, just felt a bit loose in places. Is it typical to go in for a follow up fit? I am assuming the liner breaks in a bit and a few small tweaks are occasionally needed?
If you only have a few days on them they should have broken in too much. Did you lose any weight since you used them last? Different socks? Feet change over time.

TS
V

Vaskung67

Booting up
Skier
If you only have a few days on them they should have broken in too much. Did you lose any weight since you used them last? Different socks? Feet change over time.
Same socks, I have lost 12 lbs...good point.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Call it mold-in. Even after a heat fit or whatever was done with the new boots, the foam materials in the liner will continue to mold to the foot. This greatly slows after a few ski days. As Andy says, both weight change and ski sock thickness change how the boots will feel. Maybe if you went from thin socks to medium thickness socks? Or pull the liner out and add some strips of thick duct tape on the liner at the loose spots just to fill in gaps?

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Call it mold-in. Even after a heat fit or whatever was done with the new boots, the foam materials in the liner will continue to mold to the foot. This greatly slows after a few ski days. As Andy says, both weight change and ski sock thickness change how the boots will feel. Maybe if you went from thin socks to medium thickness socks? Or pull the liner out and add some strips of thick duct tape on the liner at the loose spots just to fill in gaps?

The most minute of changes is often, if not usually felt. I recommend wearing the same socks all the time (at least the same brand/model). I usually buy two pairs of the same and alternate them so that they get equal wear and equal time in the washer.

I'm not familiar with "vac fit", but as Henry pointed out, padding the outside of the liner can fill up any gaps. I am not a fan of using duct tape for this as the tape itself is prone to compression and can leave a gooey adhesive mess over time. There are numerous pad systems that are available for exactly this purpose. But yes, follow up visits for fit modifications are normal. Your shop should have the necessary tools for improving the fit.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Weight change can make a difference.
I'd go to the fitter and find out if a remold will do the trick.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

You can remold Fischer vac. Just take it to a Fischer fitter and remold. Do it all the time when the initial fit isn't perfect or when your feet change.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Pregnancy can change foot size. Most people don't realize this actually happens because shoe size stays much the same. In my case, I grew a half shoe size and my ski boots didn't fit anymore. It's possible that your feet changed. See your boot fitter and take your boots!

Sponsor

Staff online