• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot heaters. You learn something every day.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have installed many of boot heaters over the years and there are many schools of thoughts on how to run the wires along with where to put the batteries. I mostly use Hotronics and my installations tend to be on the powerstrap verses the rear spine of the boot. I chose it use the powerstrap because when you mount on the spine, the heater wires more susceptible to damage from getting hit with the chair when getting on the lift. I was doing an install for Jed's mom and he brought along some Thermic Smartfit Clips (a universal clip) for the back of the boot to install the heaters. I mentioned that I prefer mounting the battery packs on the side then he showed me a little trick. The clip is designed to work with the battery pack vertical or with the pack 180* inside down. When you turn the battery pack 180* opposite, the wires aren't as susceptible to damage from getting hit with the chair. It is a little change that makes a big difference. While I still might continue using the powerstrap for many installations, it is not always an option now with some of the different strap designs, this is a viable alternative. Sorry, I should have take pictures.

Thanks to @Jed Peters for the suggestion.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
I'll take pictures. Notably, the mount also has TWO mountain points, instead of the one for the Hotronic...so it is much more stable and less likely to move around.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
never mind, the hyperlink is grey on phils post, and i just saw it. those blend in. thanks.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I had old hottronics (i think ) years ago with the battery on the back of the boot. No good.
they kept getting knocked off. Usually found them.
Once the case cracked open when I got on the lift (unknown to me) I came back and the smart lifty
handed me a pile of parts off the ground. Loose batteries, wave springs, case parts all there !
I think I glued that one together & reused it. :roflmao:

drewski

Putting on skis
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have installed many of boot heaters over the years and there are many schools of thoughts on how to run the wires along with where to put the batteries. I mostly use Hotronics and my installations tend to be on the powerstrap verses the rear spine of the boot. I chose it use the powerstrap because when you mount on the spine, the heater wires more susceptible to damage from getting hit with the chair when getting on the lift. I was doing an install for Jed's mom and he brought along some Thermic Smartfit Clips (a universal clip) for the back of the boot to install the heaters. I mentioned that I prefer mounting the battery packs on the side then he showed me a little trick. The clip is designed to work with the battery pack vertical or with the pack 180* inside down. When you turn the battery pack 180* opposite, the wires aren't as susceptible to damage from getting hit with the chair. It is a little change that makes a big difference. While I still might continue using the powerstrap for many installations, it is not always an option now with some of the different strap designs, this is a viable alternative. Sorry, I should have take pictures.

Thanks to @Jed Peters for the suggestion.
my wife didn't like her batteries on her boots, to clunky and smacked by chair sometimes, bought her Hotronic wire extensions and she wears her batteries clipped to her belt in the small of her back. advantage is the batteries are covered by her coat and not exposed to the cold and she tells me they last longer and she doesn't worry about loosing them

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
Another problem with mounting on the spine of the boot is walking downstairs. I had Hotronics mounted that way several years ago and knocked them both off one day walking down some stairs. I moved them to the side after that.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Another problem with mounting on the spine of the boot is walking downstairs. I had Hotronics mounted that way several years ago and knocked them both off one day walking down some stairs. I moved them to the side after that.
Yes, even mounting them this way still leaves you susceptible to steps. I think I will still be putting mine on the power straps but there are cases where that does not work especially with some of the new fangled power strap design and this is where mounting them on the back this way is an option.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
my wife didn't like her batteries on her boots, to clunky and smacked by chair sometimes, bought her Hotronic wire extensions and she wears her batteries clipped to her belt in the small of her back. advantage is the batteries are covered by her coat and not exposed to the cold and she tells me they last longer and she doesn't worry about loosing them
I like this idea. I need to see if Therm-ic has that available.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am considering using a strap to attach my Hotronic batteries to my ankles above the boot tops -- might solve a lot of problems; might create more...

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
I am considering using a strap to attach my Hotronic batteries to my ankles above the boot tops -- might solve a lot of problems; might create more...
Unless your boot is very snug at the top that isn't something I would do. It could be quite painful if the battery could slip down between your leg and the liner, even a very small amount.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Unless your boot is very snug at the top that isn't something I would do. It could be quite painful if the battery could slip down between your leg and the liner, even a very small amount.
Good point. I will put that one under the 'more problems' category.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I mounted my Hitronics on boots so they are on the outside ankles ( same side as buckels) Never had a problem,I just hook them up on the power strap and go.

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern

I would say if your ankles are above your boot tops Bob, you have bigger problems than where to mount your battery packs! :eek:

Sponsor

Staff online