• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot Lug size / mondo size?

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hello

Is there a mondo size at which the Lug size changes from a child lug size to a adult lug size?

Perhaps there isn't a rule of thumb but are there any trends.

The reason I ask is my daughter is now a 23.5 and I noticed that the pair I got her the lugs are adult size lugs. They are the Nordica Dobermann 70 JR boot. I also once heard that so race boots have adult size Lugs.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Speaking for Atomic, looking at molds that are specifically junior (Hawx Jr, Hawx Girl, Redster Jr) size 21 and smaller follow the junior norm. Size 22 and larger follow the adult norm.

Molds that are specifically adult (Redster CS, STI and TI) are all adult norm, including size 21 Redster CS boots. This size utilizes true 21 internal last dimensions, including length but the outer mold has a BSL of 261mm in order to provide sufficient forward pressure in system bindings.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
21.5 has junior and adult lugs. Approx 260mm shell.
I was looking at it from the other direction, coming from a jr boot (C lug ) to an A lug.

From what I understand Junior ski boots with C lugs run from mondopoint 14.5 to mondopoint 22.5. So as my daughter transitioned to a 23.5 this year I noticed the bigger lug and the "A" on the bottom of the boot. The boot is still for a smaller childs foot. It is a Dobermann Team 70 which is a jr race boot.

From the adult perspective, the adult ski boot "A Lug" sole dimension norms begin at size mondopoint 22 (US Men’s Size 4) and go up to 31.5 or even higher.

But perhaps as Phil mentioned above there are a few exceptions.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
So as my daughter transitioned to a 23.5 this year I noticed the bigger lug and the "A" on the bottom of the boot. The boot is still for a smaller childs foot. It is a Dobermann Team 70 which is a jr race boot.

It's a bit of semantics but the Dobermann GP mold series is ultimately an adult mold series, but some models will be marketed to some juniors. Your daughter simply transitioned into an adult boot that is marketed to juniors (which is absolutely fine when it works for her).

Sponsor

Staff online