• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot Shell Cracks at Throat

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tony,

I have skied Langes all my life and I would say just about every pair of Lange boots I have owned have developed a similar crack. That's how I know its time for a new pair of boots (I usually get 5-10 years of life span) It is not necessarily a defect or due to misuse. My experience as a design engineer with plastics tells me its a stress crack that develops over time. It is time dependent and stress level dependent. When I take my boots off, I pull the tongue one way and use my hand to open up the shell (as does probably everyone) and that puts stress on that area of the boot. I don't like pain, so I open it up as much as I can, hence highly stressed. I do unjam the tongue right way so its not wedging the shell open for more than a few seconds. It also gets stressed in that area from flexing the boot. Otto's post is also true about plastic flow in the mold. I always used a FEA software program called "moldflow" that predicts where the plastic flows and you can optimize the injection ports accordingly. The term when two plastic flows come together is "nit line". Otto is also talking about grain structure, which I am not that knowledgeable about.

Anyway, its not you, its a common thing in boots because they need the overlap to be thin enough to get your foot out, but thin plastic is more highly stressed. They walk a fine design line in that area. Lange's new dual core uses more flexible plastic in the overlap area, which in theory should really help this issue (maybe that's why they did it????) Since your boots are pretty new, give Phil's advice a try and see how you make out. If they won't give you a new boot, use Doug's trick to keep it from getting worse. I should have done it to my boots when I first noticed it.

My 9 year old Lange RS 140's (left and right boot). I always pull my tongue to the outside and that seems to be the side that cracks. Maybe that is a factor?

PS: I don't have my fingerprints on file with any Police agencies, so please I would like to keep it that way.

IMG_20210414_135147536.jpg
IMG_20210414_135231225.jpg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I always used a FEA software program called "moldflow" that predicts where the plastic flows and you can optimize the injection ports accordingly.
Next time I buy boots I will definitely make sure the mfr. has optimized its injection ports properly. ;)

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Make sure you check the grain structure direction too......

Next time I take a picture of my boots, I will wear gloves. :ogbiggrin:

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Tony,

I have skied Langes all my life and I would say just about every pair of Lange boots I have owned have developed a similar crack. That's how I know its time for a new pair of boots (I usually get 5-10 years of life span) It is not necessarily a defect or due to misuse. My experience as a design engineer with plastics tells me its a stress crack that develops over time. It is time dependent and stress level dependent. When I take my boots off, I pull the tongue one way and use my hand to open up the shell (as does probably everyone) and that puts stress on that area of the boot. I don't like pain, so I open it up as much as I can, hence highly stressed. I do unjam the tongue right way so its not wedging the shell open for more than a few seconds. It also gets stressed in that area from flexing the boot. Otto's post is also true about plastic flow in the mold. I always used a FEA software program called "moldflow" that predicts where the plastic flows and you can optimize the injection ports accordingly. The term when two plastic flows come together is "nit line". Otto is also talking about grain structure, which I am not that knowledgeable about.

Anyway, its not you, its a common thing in boots because they need the overlap to be thin enough to get your foot out, but thin plastic is more highly stressed. They walk a fine design line in that area. Lange's new dual core uses more flexible plastic in the overlap area, which in theory should really help this issue (maybe that's why they did it????) Since your boots are pretty new, give Phil's advice a try and see how you make out. If they won't give you a new boot, use Doug's trick to keep it from getting worse. I should have done it to my boots when I first noticed it.

My 9 year old Lange RS 140's (left and right boot). I always pull my tongue to the outside and that seems to be the side that cracks. Maybe that is a factor?

PS: I don't have my fingerprints on file with any Police agencies, so please I would like to keep it that way.

View attachment 131249 View attachment 131250
Crack over the instep... Par for the course and quite common... Upper photo of crack coming off the v-cut... More than likely caused by extending the v-cut deeper than the original mold. Common to see this crack when the v-cut extension is performed with a knife versus drilling a hole at the bottom of the v and grinding down into it with a round cylindrical burr. Any nick with a knife or metal shears can leave a start for the crack to begin

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
If this does have something to do with the manner in which you put on/take off your boots, maybe it's time to consider going "racer style" and use UHMW tape down the boot spine and bootboard. With Covid requiring the car-side boot-up dance, I had to come up with an easier way to handle donning my boots this season and I've actually never had an easier time of it. It forced me to figure out a method that puts very little stress on the shell, liner, or my foot. :)

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Noodler,

Enlighten us, I for one am always up for learning a new trick for an easier way to put my boots on/off. Using lace up liners may be a deal breaker for me, though, but I would consider it if the plusses out weigh the minuses.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
@Noodler,

Enlighten us, I for one am always up for learning a new trick for an easier way to put my boots on/off. Using lace up liners may be a deal breaker for me, though, but I would consider it if the plusses out weigh the minuses.

If lace-up is a deal breaker, then I guess you would have to see if you can go racer style without using laces. UHMW tape definitely makes going in/out much easier (and reduces the wear-n-tear on the liner heel).

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Perhaps you did not notice that I did not give credence to the urban myth, rumor, and legend of the way you get in and out of the boot or what type of influence on shell cracking the liner has.

Boots crack from how they are produced and designed and how much time and the type of time that is put into skiing on the boots. If there was a secret way of treating the boots don't you think that the purveyors of conspiracy theories would have already giving up all the deeply hidden secrets...

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Boots crack from how they are produced and designed and how much time and the type of time that is put into skiing on the boots.
I really like that thought, if only so that I have one less thing to screw up in life.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Next time I buy boots I will definitely make sure the mfr. has optimized its injection ports properly. ;)
Touché.

Every boot should come with a technical report on the testing and design changes implemented during said testing. </sarcasm>

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Perhaps you did not notice that I did not give credence to the urban myth, rumor, and legend of the way you get in and out of the boot or what type of influence on shell cracking the liner has.

Boots crack from how they are produced and designed and how much time and the type of time that is put into skiing on the boots. If there was a secret way of treating the boots don't you think that the purveyors of conspiracy theories would have already giving up all the deeply hidden secrets...

I heartily disagree. I've seen the gymnastics some folks go through and the stress they put on the shell trying to get their feet in their boots. Going racer style with UHMW tape, I'm in and out in a few seconds. Way easier on my feet and most importantly the shells. If there's any credence at all to the potential of shell cracks developing due to added stress, then there is definitely something to how you handle the shells when putting the boots on and taking them off.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
This has happened to me on my 6 year old Salomon X Pro 120 boots. I suspect the reason that my boot has developed the tear is because I've pulled apart the plastic shell each time I put my feet into the boots in the mornings. I had a bootfitter drill a hole on one side of the tear so that the tear doesn't get bigger.
I have a bit newer Salomon X Pro 130. I hope mine to not crack in the future.