• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot Stuff

Chris Johnson

Booting up
Skier
Hey guys,

Posting this here as most of this occurs on patrol days. Lots of standing around, lots of skating, etc is somewhat unique to patrollers.

I’m having pain on my low shins, little bit of swelling just above the ankle bone on the front of the shin. Definitely some pain when driving into the boots. This doesn’t really seem like a problem that can be fixed with boot work.

I’m in boots that are new with season but ~25 days on them. I had this issue in my last boots occasionally, but thought it was shin bang. I tightened the boots as much as I could. They were 110 flex. These boots are 130, so much stiffer. Still tightening them down quite a bit.

Feels like if I don’t get on my skis first thing and be skiing hard, it comes on. Anyone experienced this and found a solution?

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It could just be that your shin doesn't like the liner as it packed out. The stock liner in my Dalbello Lupo Pro's was super harsh on my shins. Got an Intuition liner made up for them for other reasons and the shin pain went away for me.

Spam16v

Zac
Skier
I have to boot up in the patrol room, wait 5-10min, release buckles, wait 5 and then I’m good for 8 hours. If not my feet have a melt down, go numb, cramp in the arches and my whole day is shot. I’ve done some small heat gun work where I’ve got some broken bones but the lower shin could just be an adjustment of a buckle. My 3pc Full Tilt buckles are barely tight enough to stay latched on the lower 2. Look at Patriot Foot bed’s old YouTube videos talking about modding/fitting boots. Shows how to punch grind and mold (at your own risk) if you have issues. I find a lot of value and enjoyment doing it myself vs bothering a shop 10x for 15m with a heat gun while I wait for wax on my skis to cool.

TS
C

Chris Johnson

Booting up
Skier
I have to boot up in the patrol room, wait 5-10min, release buckles, wait 5 and then I’m good for 8 hours. If not my feet have a melt down, go numb, cramp in the arches and my whole day is shot. I’ve done some small heat gun work where I’ve got some broken bones but the lower shin could just be an adjustment of a buckle. My 3pc Full Tilt buckles are barely tight enough to stay latched on the lower 2. Look at Patriot Foot bed’s old YouTube videos talking about modding/fitting boots. Shows how to punch grind and mold (at your own risk) if you have issues. I find a lot of value and enjoyment doing it myself vs bothering a shop 10x for 15m with a heat gun while I wait for wax on my skis to cool.
Yeah, my two lower buckles basically do nothing. I think part of it is making sure the lower part of the tongue is inside the cuff of the liner. Sometimes when I pull it to get my foot it, in pops out over the cuff of the liner and I don't get it back in. Also, pulling the tongue super far to the inside of my shin and buckling it so it stays seems to help a bit.

Sponsor