• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot to replace Lange Xt 110 LV-love the fit, but removing too painful

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It has two tabs, so you need both hands to pull the wrap apart, and a third to keep the boot steady!
powerwrapliner_2_large.jpeg

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think I ground off some material in my old Langes to make ingress and egress easier. Not all the plastic is necessary for every foot.

New boots can be excellent. Or horrible. Or need extra work to fit and perform. But it's sure nice to have boots that are designed to allow your feet to get in and out.

A buddy has to use plastic grocery bags to get in his boots - they help his feet slide in. Who uses single use bags for a single use? He's in trouble in California now...

I love my Full Tilt boots. Excellent performance and easy to get on and off. The Intuition wrap liners are warm, comfortable and offer good performance. Custom molding and orthotics made a huge difference (thanks to Buck at Olympic Bootworks).

If your foot problems are temporary and will go away when your foot heals, get the silicone spray, plastic bags and heat guns and suffer for a while. Or get new boots.

We nicknamed our Langes "torture chambers". Performance came at a price.

Eric

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
A Friend has horrors getting her Langes off too - the overlap of the shell just at the 'bend' in your foot to calf seems particularly much more overlapped than most other brands and pinches her foot every time while also requiring major effort to spread apart...

Definitely keep the laced liner on - this cushions/protects your foot when you flex forward and spread that shell and pull foot out (you can get some of that overlap ground away too i think). My Hawx were not too difficult anyway, but Zipfit laceup liners makes them even easier to take off.

And if in the car park - start the car up and sit in passenger seat with heater on to blow down to footwell onto your boots to soften them up should help (?).

The nuclear option is to go to Dalbello/Full Tilt cabrio types (or try the newer Hawx if it's a good shape for your foot)... Lange seems the worst for painful boot removal.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
My Lange XT 110 LV boots fit me very well, but they are so tough to get on and off. I had foot surgery this past summer and the ends of my metatarsals are still tender. My boot fitter recently showed me a pain-free way to get the boots on (liner has to go on first and has to be laced), but I think he helped my get the boot off in the shop (plus it was warm). So I never tested whether or not I could pull it off by myself.

I skied last week, and boots felt great, but when it came time to pul them off it took a long time and was very painful. It was cold and overcast that day, so that made things worse. It might be easier to pull them off in a warm lodge, but I often don't have the time at the end of the day to sit around letting my boots warm up. So I think I have to buy new boots.

I am going to go to my boot fitter to see if he has something that will work, but I can't go until Thursday. In the meantime, I'm obsessing over whether or not I'll find a good replacement. Now that I've skied one day, I want to be able to keep going! Any thoughts from the boot crowd? Is there hope?

These are super easy to get in/out of and are awesome to walk in:

Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 6.50.01 PM.png

Have to check if they have GW/WTR soles though. I would at least check them out.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Or get new boots.
I hope my foot will eventually be less sore, but I think that of I can find a cabrio style boot that fits I'll probably get them. Every time I force my boots on or off my foot hurts more, which will eventually keep me from wanting to ski.

The nuclear option is to go to Dalbello/Full Tilt cabrio types (or try the newer Hawx if
This seems like the way to go. Hope I can find one that fits.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was thinking I'd need to go with a cabrio design, but they seem to be for higher volume feet, is that right? I'm often in a hurry to get on the road after skiing, and would rather spend extra time skiing, not warming my boots so I can get them off.
Be careful with the cabrio boots. There are some with a little strap of material that make getting a boot on more difficult, not easier.

Phil had a good suggestion with the hair dryer, or going with a boot that is grilamid plastic.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Be careful with the cabrio boots. There are some with a little strap of material that make getting a boot on more difficult, not easier.

Phil had a good suggestion with the hair dryer, or going with a boot that is grilamid plastic.
Thanks, I'll watch out for that. Phil (and others) had many good ideas, which I appreciate. I'll try some of the ideas at home and see if I can make something work.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you are willing to get new boots, then it's OK to grind the heck out of your old boots. If it works, you don't need new boots. Or it ruins the boots that hurt so much you can't use them anyhow.

A dremel grinder with the little sanding drum is the right tool. Remove the plastic that is in the way of your foot going in and out. There might be a couple centimetres of excess plastic so don't be shy.

A good bootfitter should be able to do this for you. Note, I've gotten internet boots and taken them to Olympic Boot Works for fitting and noticed his prices are close to my hot internet prices. So you might be OK if your fix doesn't work. I'm pretty sure Buck will take care of you if that's where you go.

If you're feeling cheap, I'll be up at Squaw after Christmas and I'd be happy to ruin your boots with my grinder. 15 minutes. But I keep the cabin warm so you might need the bathroom hand dryer to get them off if I was too cautious and left too much material.

Before you give up on boots that you otherwise like, modify them. Yourself. Or at least watch. The process is kind of fun - especially if you get it fixed.

Or just get new boots. New is often nice. I'm not sure what @Tricia is referring to about the strap. My Full Tilts are easy to get in and out of.

Eric

Bring back rear entry boots!

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Bring back rear entry boots!

Ha! Loved my Salomon Equipes!

Just DM'd you about last year's Dalbellos that I think I'm going to sell. Not sure of your shell size tho. I'm up in Tahoe too, so you could test them out if they're the right size.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Update:
I managed to get my boots on and off in the warmth of my home, using some of the tips you all gave me. What helped the most, for getting the boot on, was opening the shell up with my hand; rather than trying to make my foot open the boot as I pushed it in.

For taking the boot off, I followed the Zipfit tip to "genuflect" out. It didn't even hurt my foot that much, so thank you. I've resigned myself to carrying my boots to the lodge to put them on, at least until my foot is stronger and less sore. I might not even need a hair dryer if I go inside to boot up/unboot. I'm still thinking about a heated boot bag.

All of this was with the laced liner on, which adds a new step for me. And of course the boots weren't cold, another key point.

I might, just for fun, go to my local ski shop and try on some Dalbello Kyras that I saw there. I won't buy them unless they fit really well, but now I'm curious about them.
Also curious about difference in how they ski vs my Langes.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Update:
I managed to get my boots on and off in the warmth of my home, using some of the tips you all gave me. What helped the most, for getting the boot on, was opening the shell up with my hand; rather than trying to make my foot open the boot as I pushed it in.

For taking the boot off, I followed the Zipfit tip to "genuflect" out. It didn't even hurt my foot that much, so thank you. I've resigned myself to carrying my boots to the lodge to put them on, at least until my foot is stronger and less sore. I might not even need a hair dryer if I go inside to boot up/unboot. I'm still thinking about a heated boot bag.

All of this was with the laced liner on, which adds a new step for me. And of course the boots weren't cold, another key point.

I might, just for fun, go to my local ski shop and try on some Dalbello Kyras that I saw there. I won't buy them unless they fit really well, but now I'm curious about them.
Also curious about difference in how they ski vs my Langes.
I hate to tell you this but the kyra is a 102 lasted boot, if you are in a Lange RX 110 LV
It’s gonna feel huge

Try the chakra instead with the ID liner

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hate to tell you this but the kyra is a 102 lasted boot, if you are in a Lange RX 110 LV
It’s gonna feel huge

Try the chakra instead with the ID liner
Ok, thanks. That's good to know. I think I saw that somewhere on a description of the Kyra, but I also read somewhere that last sizes, like flex measurements, are inconsistent across brands.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Ok, thanks. That's good to know. I think I saw that somewhere on a description of the Kyra, but I also read somewhere that last sizes, like flex measurements, are inconsistent across brands.
Nope
The Kyra is a LOT bigger than the Lange you are currently in

Like really big
Heel is wide too
It's a high volume boot

And I sell a lot of em to the right candidate
If you are in a RX110 LV
You need not apply

Sponsor

Staff online