• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Booting up in the Parking Lot?

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hi -
I wasn't sure which forum to post this topic in, feel free to move it to a different forum as appropriate.

I have always booted up in the lodge, this year things will be alot different.

Where are most of you going to boot up?

If it turns out that I'll be booting up in the parking lot I am looking for ways to make it easy. Plus I have two kids that will also have to boot up!

I was thinking of getting one of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla...ickid=3ExWyx2Y9xyLTvkwUx0Mo36DUkEww7QtQ08yTA0

Looking for ideas or recommendations.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've almost always booted up at the car. I had a few problems after having foot surgery, but those were solved by putting the liner on separate from the boot shell. Keeping boots warm on the way to the mountain helps, too.

My daughter (now grown), learned to get her boots on and self ready from an early age. We never had chairs or a bench, but that would have been nice!

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
I often boot up in the parking lot pre COVID, so it's a no brainer this year. Places I ski I'm not walking more than 20-40 yards across a non pavement surface so it's not that big of a deal. Don't have to find a stash location for the bag or worry about stuff being stolen, don't have to pay some ridiculous locker fees and wander around looking for the kiosk you pay at, etc.etc.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hi -
I wasn't sure which forum to post this topic in, feel free to move it to a different forum as appropriate.

I have always booted up in the lodge, this year things will be alot different.

Where are most of you going to boot up?

If it turns out that I'll be booting up in the parking lot I am looking for ways to make it easy. Plus I have two kids that will also have to boot up!

I was thinking of getting one of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla...ickid=3ExWyx2Y9xyLTvkwUx0Mo36DUkEww7QtQ08yTA0

Looking for ideas or recommendations.
if youre also going to après out of your car, i think some campchairs or folding chairs that you can also relax in afterwards would be a better option. with cupholders
I don't know how hard your boots are to get into or out of, but you might want to work on techniques if it require a struggle multiple people and a metal bench to get off.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Booting up in the parking lot isn't a new concept, it's been done by a lot of people for decades now, since they don't feel like renting a locker in the lodge, or some people just pile it up at a table at the cafeteria.

If you have boot warmer/dryer that uses the cigarette lighter in your car, you can get the boots warmed up as you drive to the parking lot.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
See here for hints. Nice days are no problem. It gets less fun when the weather comes in.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
@murphysf , what vehicle you driving? SUV? Boot up in the car or sitting out the back. I have done this for years. Some type of surface to stand on helps in the parking lot, door mat or old beach towel I have used. I have seen many an older folks using lawn chairs at the smaller resorts, however these chairs never seem to be at the right angle for me except for drinking beers or eating lunch, so I bring them always.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can count the times when I booted up at a lounge on the fingers of my hand :ogbiggrin:
You will have absolutely no problems, it just takes some practice. Most important is that the boots are warm.
Getting into boots that have spent the night in the boot of the car is an interesting and refreshing experience that can take anything up to 45 minutes.:ogbiggrin:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
There are other threads discussing your car as a base lodge, but i think booting up is a good separate thread as it doesn't involve lunch, etc.

My system is this:
Since I use lace up (ZipFit in my case) liners I always put the liners on first and then slide them into the shells. So...

I drive to the mountain in my liners. To protect them when I walk from the driver's door to the back of my Outback, I have overshoes (galoshes) on them. These are the ones I use. Overshoes on Amazon

I keep my shells in a heated boot bag in the back.

I have a folding chair and a rubber mat/carpet.

I sit on the chair with my feet in the liners on the mat.

I take off the overshoes, and slide my feet into the liners, which being warm allow for an easy slide on.

I put YakTraks on the bottom of the boots.

After walking to the base area I lock the YakTraks (and my ski strap) to a rack.

It's worked great so far, but it was 40 degrees and not windy the two days I've done this. I'm sure it's going to be a lot more challenging in 10 degrees and wind.

Getting the shells off on a very cold day will be even harder as they won't be warm. Maybe a 12 VDC hair drier would be good to have to heat the shells up to take them off.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I found some on Amazon, but not good reviews for the most part.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Folding chair to sit on and a bath mat or carpet remnant under the chair so your socks don't get wet or muddy. Folding step stool can serve the purpose of the folding chair and come in handy to stand on for ski box access and clearing snow off the roof.

There are several ski boot cover/protector options for walking in boots that are way better than the old cat traxks. Most are rockered for easier walking. I use YakTrax SkiTrax. You can leave them hanging at the base locked to the rack wiht your cable lock and then just put them back in when heading back to the car at the end of the day.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
My YakTrax SkiTrax don't have anything to pass the cable lock through, so based on @Noodler 's suggestion I drilled holes in them. Works fine.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Will they let me park this in the parking lot?
(asking for a friend)

1606137422453.png

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe a 12 VDC hair drier would be good to have to heat the shells up to take them off.
We amateur astronomers have these to get rid of dew build up on eyepieces in the field. They work for that. For pretty much anything else, including e.g. drying hair, or warming boots, my estimation would be that they would be bloody useless. YMMV

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
We amateur astronomers have these to get rid of dew build up on eyepieces in the field. They work for that. For pretty much anything else, including e.g. drying hair, or warming boots, my estimation would be that they would be bloody useless. YMMV
I've read countless reviews of these things, and come to the same conclusion.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I use my car's back seat floor mats to stand on when I need to boot up at the car. This year, I'm only booting up at the ski area on powder days. I'll arrive before everyone, pay for parking and wait in my truck (in the new shell with folding seats for comfort) for the gondola to start queuing up and get in line. It'll take more time out of my day, but it is what it is.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have booted up in the car but it has been years. I used to use the car mat from the back seat to keep my socks mud free and dry. A 5 gallon can or a few milk crates can act as a bench for booting up as long as the boots are inside the vehicle with the heat on if you don't have a heated boot bag. At the end of last season I purchased my first heated boot bag so it is less of an issue for me. One thing that may help get in your boots is to get or make one yourself a ski boot shoe horn. I made mine last season and it sure helped me get into my boots.

Sponsor

Staff online