• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Booting up in the Parking Lot?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nespresso

No that small inverter only puts out 175 watts.

From the more powerful power tool department...

1606253120817.png

This little puppy with 4 flex-volt battery will almost anything 110v for a while.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lol, well if portability/price isn't an issue, goal zero (and other portable power station competitors) would also like to have a word; and then, yes then you can have an nespresso; and blowdry your hair before and after hitting the slopes:
4ed0a8185bd10554ec82aeadbf3bd635.jpg

Last edited:

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Can your SUV microwave bacon?

Start at 15"38

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I thought we were booting up in the parking lot to go skiing.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
That's pretty slick. inverter sitting on a 20v battery? I wonder how long it lasts. I was just saying to @Philpug today the next step in heated boot bags will be 20v battery operated.

that picture made me think of the 20v Milwaukee heat gun. You might melt your shells if you aren’t careful.

JHust

Putting on skis
Skier
Hi -
I wasn't sure which forum to post this topic in, feel free to move it to a different forum as appropriate.

I have always booted up in the lodge, this year things will be alot different.

Where are most of you going to boot up?

If it turns out that I'll be booting up in the parking lot I am looking for ways to make it easy. Plus I have two kids that will also have to boot up!

I was thinking of getting one of these:

20201127_075049.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla...ickid=3ExWyx2Y9xyLTvkwUx0Mo36DUkEww7QtQ08yTA0

Looking for ideas or recommendations.
In case you were thinking about buying this today for Black Friday, I bought the same platform a few years ago. If you get a plastic shoe holder like @LiquidFeet recommended it actually works out very well.
20201127_075049.jpg

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A lot of you guys are missing the joys of allready beeing cold and wet before getting into the boots.
Standing outside, wind,, snow, cold winds gushing!

Then... discovering you forgot the backbrace.. stripping whole your jacket blows off..

honestly I rarely ever done it at the lodge, guess its not that common in europe, either at like cabin/hotel then hikeing around without gripwalk,some soles has a friction modifier for ekstra glide for sure.

not forgetting boots overnight helps, we have done a lot of trips with EV's last few years, lets just say you dont have much spare heat in EV, so having to activate rear zones, or having the boots on your lap etc is a thing, whatever you do dont pack them near the bootlid in a model3. they will be cold.. going 60-70mph at -20 to -25c into the mountains (usually hotter when you get on lifts and get more altititude)etc...

I feel a lot of people have way to nice stuff with heater bags and chairs.. and sun in the parkinglot?! yes you phil! Im wearing my "cant see much lenses pretty much exclusivly and think we had a total of 0 bluebird days in 2020 season :p

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s nice, but it’s a Western (strong) sun (none of that here) and a dry parking lot. Just sayin.’ ;)
But...I ain’t bitching and whining. I’ll boot up at the car and honestly thought about the process for about 2 minutes until I came upon this thread. ogsmile Lots of PA folks don their boots at their car regularly, pre-Covid, and they STORE their boots in their cars! :roflmao:I can’t tell you how many times I had to tell people at the ski shop NOT to keep their boots in their cars!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
That’s nice, but it’s a Western (strong) sun (none of that here) and a dry parking lot. Just sayin.’ ;)
Dry paved parking lot. You don’t really find that in the northeast. I’m also jealous of the amount of space. In the K1 lot at Killington I usually have to back my truck in if I want to be able to pull out at the end of the day.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dry paved parking lot. You don’t really find that in the northeast. I’m also jealous of the amount of space. In the K1 lot at Killington I usually have to back my truck in if I want to be able to pull out at the end of the day.
There’s been a few days when cars parked so close that I had to crawl in the back of my Subaru. At Jack Frost I ended up making my own parking space in the trees between parking lots so I didn’t have to deal with other vehicles parking too close.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
But...I ain’t bitching and whining. I’ll boot up at the car and honestly thought about the process for about 2 minutes until I came upon this thread. ogsmile Lots of PA folks don their boots at their car regularly, pre-Covid, and they STORE their boots in their cars! :roflmao:I can’t tell you how many times I had to tell people at the ski shop NOT to keep their boots in their cars!

coworker would store his unbuckeld, in car, pretty much all year around, we had a chat about that, now he does not, same coworked who changed from 27.5 to 29.5 by mistake on a company skiiing trip, not discovering it for a few years.

I've driven with telemark boots when they used to be leather back in the days, manual gear and everything. they kinda were just a tour boot with a lip up front, so workedout. Remember first plastic boots. wow. just wow.

booting up in cars depends on the car I found out the wrong way, I had a nissan leaf 40kwh version for a few months, I remember getting in passenger seat, then trying to slide seat back.... to get in, just couldnt, was allready all the way back, the seat sliders in that car moves about 2 inches max, and you stuck without enough space no matter if your in front, or back. The Bmw i3 = tons of room! you can even change clothing and relax.

Sponsor

Staff online