• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boots for a 1yo?

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My - what - I guess grand-nephew is turning 1 in a couple of weeks. I'd kinda like to get a pair of boots that might actually sort of fit his feet. I don't think they will be used for skiing. I'd just like to be the awesome great uncle who bought him his first pair of boots. His mom says his shoe size would be 4-6. Anybody know what kind of options exist here?

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes they do, my son at 14-15 months was on skis. The Mountain was the snow pile from the driveway with a massive elevation of 4ft....yes 4 breath taking feet. The lift was pickup and place point in the right direction and push.

So yes go for it, as long as the feet feet you are good.

Don't forget laughter, and one to three runs is a long time.

BTW if they look huge today they might be too small in a couple of months. Be forewarned

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My - what - I guess grand-nephew is turning 1 in a couple of weeks. I'd kinda like to get a pair of boots that might actually sort of fit his feet. I don't think they will be used for skiing. I'd just like to be the awesome great uncle who bought him his first pair of boots. His mom says his shoe size would be 4-6. Anybody know what kind of options exist here?
The fit isn't all that important for a non-skiing 1 year old. My usual advice is to get the smallest boots you can find and a bunch of socks to take up space. Sometimes a custom liner is required but usually custom footbeds and 4 pairs of fury socks from Target are all that is needed. You want a good fit but not so tight that they throw a fit and poop their diaper (alas, happens to many of us on a cold bootup day).

The skis are more difficult to size properly. If the kid is a non-skiing charger just give him some old 192 cm skis from your garage. The graphics are most important. Make sure to dull the rusty edges as they like to chew on them sometimes. I usually recommend waiting until 2 yrs old for the poles. Its never too early to get kids used to the equipment and develop some muscle memory, but the poles are a little too dangerous

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The fit isn't all that important for a non-skiing 1 year old. My usual advice is to get the smallest boots you can find and a bunch of socks to take up space. Sometimes a custom liner is required but usually custom footbeds and 4 pairs of fury socks from Target are all that is needed. You want a good fit but not so tight that they throw a fit and poop their diaper (alas, happens to many of us on a cold bootup day).

The skis are more difficult to size properly. If the kid is a non-skiing charger just give him some old 192 cm skis from your garage. The graphics are most important. Make sure to dull the rusty edges as they like to chew on them sometimes. I usually recommend waiting until 2 yrs old for the poles. Its never too early to get kids used to the equipment and develop some muscle memory, but the poles are a little too dangerous
The serious/joking nature of this post is amazing.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A 14.5 is the smallest boot out there. In reality, a 1 year old will not be skiing, just get them out there eating snow. I remember my first wife asking "What if the baby doesn't line to ski?" My reply was "Thats like asking "What if a fish does not like to swim""? It is what we do in the winter, we ski, the baby won't know it doesn't like to ski."
I forget how old Tyler was here.
039B0F90-B6FF-4F65-B3EC-01CCF297C277_1_201_a.jpeg
DD2B0585-2580-4DC0-AF0B-B5BCB891B073_1_201_a.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you're looking for boots, look for a Nordica Nordy.
At one time that was the smallest ski boot you could get for a kid.
I think Dalbello makes one that goes that small too but its been a while since I've looked into it.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
Coincidental timing, I just had some 155 size boots show up at my door. Hilariously tiny!

Dalbello Gaia 1.0 GW Jr, they are blue and transparent.

The Menace 1.0's are Green and black.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is a friend's daughter from her 2nd birthday in a size 14.5 Dalbello
This was all about getting her used to getting into the gear and feeling comfortable sliding on snow.

TS
Rich McP

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think Dalbello makes one that goes that small too but its been a while since I've looked into it.
This is what I was hoping for. Thank you!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Seriously, we got a hold of a sack of different size little kids boots that lasted for the first 5 years of my kids' lives. Thats what you want to get

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
Local shop to me has a 145 Dalbello Menace

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Another option could be kids strap on skis. They do not require ski boots which at 1 is probably not an issue. I do remember my son at 2.5 years in his first boots on some super short skis. I bought all sorts of gadgets (tip connector, harness, leash etc.) and none of it worked. In the end I just skied with him between my legs for the first year and eventually just let go and let him glide on his own ... back then I would chase him because he couldn't stop, now I chase him because he doesn't want to stop .. go figure :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thats what my kids used

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid